joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Photos MECS Feb 12&13 2014

jburns

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it wasn't for the ULL dumping nearly 10" of snow on me in only a few hours, this would've been closer to 12-14" event (which is still a good amount and I was happy with that) It was just an extra bonus that was completely unexpected. I've never seen it snow as hard as it did while under it, though. One of those things I'd love to see again sometime.

I watched that band moving up on radar and I had a feeling it was going to just stall over Roanoke and Blacksburg. When it finally moved east over the Blue Ridge it broke apart and started reforming over Lynchburg. They got 1" from that band to get them to 10" for the storm. Here in Bedford we still had 10 to 12 inches on average with the COOP site recording 10.5" 4 miles northwest of town, so it was still a great storm. I hope to get a chance to see it snow that hard one day though.

If it wasn't for the ULL dumping nearly 10" of snow on me in only a few hours, this would've been closer to 12-14" event (which is still a good amount and I was happy with that) It was just an extra bonus that was completely unexpected. I've never seen it snow as hard as it did while under it, though. One of those things I'd love to see again sometime.

In talking to Robert (Foothills) over the years. This weather feature is one of the hardest for him to forecast & the one thing he seems to get most excited about.

Here is a video from Thursday afternoon during the upper level low portion of the storm.

Here are a couple more photos from the storm. The first is from Wednesday afternoon. I wish I had taken a video during this time because the snow was absolutely pouring down with a temperature of 21 degrees. The second photo is from the upper level low on Thursday afternoon. Do note that several driveways (including my own) had been plowed at the time, hence the wet driveways. This was heavy, wet snow with temperatures of 33-34.

DSC02476_zpsc18942d4.jpg

DSC02495_zpsa61255df.jpg

A few pics of the ice on trees near the NWS Forecast Office in Peachtree City, Georgia the morning of February 13, 2014.  I shot these around 9:30 a.m,.driving home after a wild night of power flashes/ outages at work (was called into work when another guard couldn't make it in; ended up working 13 hours)

post-9791-0-98894800-1393476806_thumb.jp

post-9791-0-36812700-1393476819_thumb.jp

post-9791-0-29012800-1393476995_thumb.jp

post-9791-0-18549300-1393476989_thumb.jp

Archived