• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
80 years ago today-cold as has not happened before or since

weathafella

Boston:-18 (I think this preceded BOS by a year)

KNyc: -12

DC: -12 ( don't think this was dca)

About 20 years ago I remember talking to an old timer who remembers hundreds of people skating in the Charles near back bay.

Now THAT was deep winter!

Correct, DC wasn't DCA back then.

1934 was an incredible year, interesting because it was backloaded with a late start, and even moreso because some of the preceding winters were very warm.

Correct, DC wasn't DCA back then.

1934 was an incredible year, interesting because it was backloaded with a late start, and even moreso because some of the preceding winters were very warm.

Fozz....you sure about the late start? I think that Boston set November and December cold records that winter.

Low at KNYC was actually -15, their coldest morning on record, data back thru most of the 1870s.  My dad frostbit his ears walking to high school that day.  However, 12/30/17 was a slightly colder day overall, 2/-13 compared to 8/-15 in 1934.  1933-34 was a brutally cold winter, with a late Dec wave of subzero mornings along with February.

Lake Ontario froze over and temperatures fell to -50 F in some parts of upstate NY as well as in eastern ON (the records were set on Feb 9th in that region).. .. It was probably about as cold in the daytime in the northeast U.S. as in Jan 1857 but colder at night. Feb 8, 1934 was the coldest max at Toronto in all of its records going back to 1840 (-13 F) although it was close to Jan 22, 1857 (-11F).

Low at KNYC was actually -15, their coldest morning on record, data back thru most of the 1870s.  My dad frostbit his ears walking to high school that day.  However, 12/30/17 was a slightly colder day overall, 2/-13 compared to 8/-15 in 1934.  1933-34 was a brutally cold winter, with a late Dec wave of subzero mornings along with February.

I thought I typed that. Mis key! Will edit as I knew that my entire life,,,lol.

Archived