SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

Brad Panovich's Professional Opinion:

Brad Panovich (@wxbrad)

2/9/14, 19:40

2-4" snow/sleet with 0.15" ice & some rain around .15-.25". If we bust it would be not enough ice more than snow

Brad is well respected. Does not appear that his thoughts on this one are getting much consideration on our board for this event.

I think his comment is for the CLT area

Do expectations need to be reeled in a bit?

As NWS GSP says, even though confidence is building it is still 'low confidence' and too early to call.

Myself, I think Brad is a tad conservative on this one. 4 to 6, in my opinion is more likely down in Charlotte depending on WAA. It's all about the layers and how much WAA gets involved. We have witnessed it in the past roar in from the coast in the critical layers in a matter of a few hours as a storm is winding up.

Discuss....

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brad Panovich (@wxbrad)

2-4" snow/sleet with 0.15" ice & some rain around .15-.25". If we bust it would be not enough ice more than snow

Brad is well respected. Does not appear that his thoughts on this one are getting much consideration on our board for this event.

Their in-house model was spitting that out from what I saw earlier on the broadcast, or at least that what it looked like to me. I think more sleet than freezing rain would be what CLT area posters have to worry about in the back of their minds when it comes to limiting snow amounts here for this storm, which I'm sure is what he is anticipating. Dreaded WAA.

Brad Panovich (@wxbrad)

No. He's also a TV met. They have a reputation to maintain and forecasts like his this far out is the reason he's so well respected and has a good rep. He's not going to make a first call map like DT still days away from the event (not bashing DT, just saying DT isn't a TV met, he could care less about rep). With that said, his totals are on the low end now, he'll likely crank them up as we get closer if current modeling holds serve. 2" is too low for snow in CLT with system currently modeled, but like I said, TV mets aren't the ones who go around throwing up high totals days out.

Brad Panovich (@wxbrad)

I follow Brad pretty much most of all, he was absolutrly spot on with the 1/28 storm. He also posted this:

f4h4noQ.jpg

That's what I read too. I mean they know way more than I do but there going with more of a GFS solution? Really? It obv is suffering thru some sort of conv feedback issues and it has been slowly trending toward the other bomb solutions. If the high is retreating it would make sense for it to be able to begin its trek a little more northward then a couple days ago no?

WPC's model diagnostic discussion mentioned they were going with a non GFS blend.

So in other words, the roller coaster of model waffling will continue until we see the "whites of this storm system's eyes". Great.

Greg....Greg....when in all your years have they ever showed monster snows and sleets that verified?  I only remember the Blizzard :)  Sure they can predict minor events, but huge, big, honking 200 year storms take some percolation, fermentation, and mathification :)  I'm just very happy to  not be in the bullseye...like last time, when I had only an inch until the last hour, lol. 

Right now the Atl tv stations all say the ice and snow will circle me, but I'll only get vast amounts of liquid rain...and I'm happy with that :)  I do much better when I don't have much of a chance a day out :)  Tony

No. He's also a TV met. They have a reputation to maintain and forecasts like his this far out is the reason he's so well respected and has a good rep. He's not going to make a first call map like DT still days away from the event (not bashing DT, just saying DT isn't a TV met, he could care less about rep). With that said, his totals are on the low end now, he'll likely crank them up as we get closer if current modeling holds serve. 2" is too low for snow in CLT with system currently modeled, but like I said, TV mets aren't the ones who go around throwing up high totals days out.

On one hand the person you're talking to has done nothing the last 24 hours but post about how Ryan Maue (sorry to lazy to spell his name correctly) posted a video talking about how amazing the Euro ENS is and why it should be given the most weight. Well now that the Euro ENS is giving high totals for CLT he has to find something else to hang his hat on. Some things will never change on this board. 

Outside of Brad, WCNC is pretty weak in our area for weather coverage, though when Brad is there they are second OVERALL for coverage for me behind WBTV and Eric Thomas (new mets leave a bit to be desired however). For instance, last night they showed what was supposed to be the GFS saying it was the northern tracking solution with the ramped up moisture. I was amazed at what I heard and saw. Same thing earlier tonight, the graphic had the region in a 4-6" snow accumulation range yet they state 2-4" is the particular model output. I have no issue with them starting conservative, I know I would, but at least both accurately represent AND say what a model is showing if you have it on the screen. Very surprising to see that the last 24 hrs from them.

Archived