Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 cents, fwiw.  Just because someone posts anything that is not promoting a huge snowfall does not mean that he/she is anti-snow or "rooting" for a bust.  I try to share what we know.  For those reading this forum in early December, you may recall I was gung-ho on a rain-to-snow scenario with heavy snow for the evening commute.  That busted badly.  Busts suck, so I try to avoid them if at all possible. :)

I don't post a whole lot on here either, because to be truthful, I'm always hoping it doesn't snow, and there's no point in being a wet blanket when you guys are so happy with an impending biblical event. (And I've never made any secret of that.) That having been said though, I'm sorry, Stinky, you don't seem like a bad guy, but the random periods and capitalization do make your text hard to read.

I don't think its anyone's fault. People just dont understand being where we were with this one that far out is always bad. We needed this to be either side of us about 200 miles that far out.

I was jk. Obviously I don't believe someone's opinion on a map affected the outcome of a storm. I understand not falling for a model when it's 5 days out but when it's 2.5 days out and has been showing the same solution for days you start to believe a little. Now saying something is set in stone is a different story. 

Am I ok guys?.....I can feeeeel the love now....starting to come back! Lol-aaaaand will bring some good karma for this complex system!....righteous!

Haha. I think were all here rooting for the same thing, well aside from Digger. Lol.  We all love weather, especially the extreme events. Whether it be a MECS or a severe thunderstorm we all have a common interest. 

Very frustrating hearing everyone talking about how were getting a foot of snow tomorrow though. Friends, family and such. Then once you try to tell them it's only looking like a few inches now they hit you with " What do you mean? Kevin Benson just said this morning that were getting 10 inches." Gotta love it lol. 

Well I have to admit my buddy who's a meteorologist thinks the southern trend is overdone....he thinks still a 6+ event as of 11AM today...

I think the precip field will be more expansive than what is being modeled, seems to be a ton of moisture out west that hasn't been picked up to well. Years of model watching would make you want to think it will still go a little north towards the end, as it almost always does, but who knows. Euro and gfs definitely show more than a few inches, with ratios. Probably more like 4-6 between the two. 

Very frustrating hearing everyone talking about how were getting a foot of snow tomorrow though. Friends, family and such. Then once you try to tell them it's only looking like a few inches now they hit you with " What do you mean? Kevin Benson just said this morning that were getting 10 inches." Gotta love it lol. 

I just got back from the grocery store... and according to the shopper grapevine 18-24 lol Who ever even said that? lol I don't get the mad rush to the grocery stores when you will be able to get out and about with ease by Tuesday afternoon in all likely hood.

I just got back from the grocery store... and according to the shopper grapevine 18-24 lol Who ever even said that? lol I don't get the mad rush to the grocery stores when you will be able to get out and about with ease by Tuesday afternoon in all likely hood.

Better yet my wife woke me up this morning and said one of her work friends texted her and not only said we were getting a foot but it was going to start this morning. She was worried about going out today.

Ya, I don't know whether to laugh or   :facepalm:    I never understood it myself. You would think we were still traveling in horse and buggies on dirt roads. 

The grocery store owners are loving it. They cash in from all the misinformation.

At this point, I'll be surprised if anyone in pa ends up with more than 6 inches. I thought that this was going to be a pa crush job, but man did it change.

3-5 south of agc, 2-4 up to butler county, 1-3 around I-80.

If I had a guess I'd go with 3-6 agc south to around I -70.. 5-8 from I-70 to morgantown then 8-12 anywhere south of there. 

Also, one positive out of this...precip rates should be light and much of the snow falls during the day on Sunday, so there may be little-no accumulation on the roads.  That would help out municipal crews big time as they've been stressed with the salt shortage.

Also, one positive out of this...precip rates should be light and much of the snow falls during the day on Sunday, so there may be little-no accumulation on the roads. That would help out municipal crews big time as they've been stressed with the salt shortage.

One of the reasons I hate snow in March. Today is pretty warm. I'm at 45 right now. The days get longer and sun gets higher. Starting next weekend it's going to be very tough sticking during the day light on roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 z nam.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hmm, still has that SWPA bulls eye. That's all from the first wave, then you can see the damage the second wave does near DC with that swath of nothing in between.

Reading the mid atlantic forums some folks are starting to sweat the south trend down there now as I guess the Euro Ens were even further South. This is really looking like we need to score what we can on the first wave and just forget about the second.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
424 PM EST SAT MAR 1 2014

...EARLY MARCH SNOWFALL EXPECTED FOR THE AREA ...

MDZ001-OHZ069-PAZ031-075-076-WVZ004-012-021>023-041-020530-
/O.UPG.KPBZ.WS.A.0004.140302T1800Z-140303T1800Z/
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.W.0006.140302T0500Z-140303T1800Z/
GARRETT-MONROE-GREENE-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-MARSHALL-WETZEL-
MARION-MONONGALIA-PRESTON-TUCKER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...WOODSFIELD...WAYNESBURG...
UNIONTOWN...CHAMPION...OHIOPYLE...MOUNDSVILLE...
NEW MARTINSVILLE...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN...KINGWOOD...PARSONS
424 PM EST SAT MAR 1 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 1 PM
EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...IN EFFECT FROM
MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 1 PM EST MONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO
LONGER IN EFFECT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS....TRACE TO ONE-TENTH INCH.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND END MID-
AFTERNOON MONDAY. SNOW MAY CHANGE OCCASIONALLY TO FREEZING RAIN
AND SLEET LATE TONIGHT.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND SUNDAY
NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW AND ICE
ACCUMULATION.

* WIND...NORTH 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

Archived