• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 3

Whitelakeroy

Last night definitely over achieved my expectations too. Especially after the dissappointing front end snow.

Hoosier and I have always said we do late rallies really well here in the LAF. Haha. Amazing winter.

Over 10 inches and still snowing.  :snowing:

Awesome. Congrats!

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few general observations about this storm. the models handled it very poorly here. The snow last night underperformed, and todays deformation snow is WAY overperforming. The lastest model runs are playing catch up, but too little too late. I had a feeling the deform snows would be our gold in this storm, but not like this. Also..the radar hasnt necessarily been matching up with our snowfall intensity either. Cant say enough about how epic this winter is.

It's hard to tell, because there was a good amount of drifting last night/this morning, but the average of all of the measurements I took came out to about 6.4" here in Libertyville. It's a healthy dump of snow and for some reason took quite a bit more time to remove than many of the other events this winter. Who knows how much we have on the ground here, but it's got to be around or over two feet. Feels like northern Michigan. Here are some photos I took around my property this morning once I cleared the most recent snowfall:

post-1345-0-09521200-1391613184_thumb.jp

post-1345-0-59870600-1391613195_thumb.jp

post-1345-0-17162300-1391613212_thumb.jp

post-1345-0-80601400-1391613224_thumb.jp

post-1345-0-81577500-1391613232_thumb.jp

post-1345-0-40621300-1391613266_thumb.jp

It's hard to tell, because there was a good amount of drifting last night/this morning, but the average of all of the measurements I took came out to about 6.4" here in Libertyville. It's a healthy dump of snow and for some reason took quite a bit more time to remove than many of the other events this winter. Who knows how much we have on the ground here, but it's got to be around or over two feet. Feels like northern Michigan. Here are some photos I took around my property this morning once I cleared the most recent snowfall:

Deep deep winter. Great photos. Looks like a hellacious gutter/roof ice damn in the first pic.

Great photos Tuanis. I had 11" on the ground before this event. I'm guessing near 5" fell through 8am or so. 

Very cool tree in your yard!

Ithielz - Great driving in the snow photos. I probably wouldn't chance taking picture during the commute - personally. I guess if your going 5mph, it's not very risky! haha

LES dumping along the Racine lakefront right now.

6.1" :)

The county plows as much snow as they can into my culdesac and the piles are getting a little out of control lately. Last storm they made a 2 footer right at the end of my driveway. This time it's probably 3 feet.  :axe:

Nice, dude. :)

I got some digging out to do of my car. Plowed/drifted in solidly. Old hat now though.

Deep deep winter. Great photos. Looks like a hellacious gutter/roof ice damn in the first pic.

Massively OT, but did you catch pictures of the ice storm that impacted Slovenia a day or so ago? I'm wondering if Ryan is rooting for something of that magnitude to hit Laffy at some point in the future. :lol:

Yup, that's some ice damming. Unfortunately, the furnace is in the attic so when we get temps in the 20s, we get meltage/refreezing on that section of the roof. Luckily, I haven't had any problems yet. We'll see what happens when (if? haha) we get a real-deal thaw.

SN increasing again as a lake band settles over the area: http://ustre.am/16Txc

Few general observations about this storm. the models handled it very poorly here. The snow last night underperformed, and todays deformation snow is WAY overperforming. The lastest model runs are playing catch up, but too little too late. I had a feeling the deform snows would be our gold in this storm, but not like this. Also..the radar hasnt necessarily been matching up with our snowfall intensity either. Cant say enough about how epic this winter is.

Agreed.  Last night was disappointing somewhat but today is great!  Over an hour ago you could see that the radar switched modes or something.  It seemed to be ok before the switch but now it has not matched rates at all. :huh:

Oh well who cares ... let it snow :mapsnow:

Massively OT, but did you catch pictures of the ice storm that impacted Slovenia a day or so ago? I'm wondering if Ryan is rooting for something of that magnitude to hit Laffy at some point in the future. :lol:

I didn't. But yeah...that's his dream. Big time shutdown ice storm in the LAF. 

Yup, that's some ice damming. Unfortunately, the furnace is in the attic so when we get temps in the 20s, we get meltage/refreezing on that section of the roof. Luckily, I haven't had any problems yet. We'll see what happens when (if? haha) we get a real-deal thaw.

SN increasing again as a lake band settles over the area: http://ustre.am/16Txc

Ah. My parent's house has had them in the past, and it's usually no big deal. But, good luck with it. 

Archived