joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3, 2014 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from earlier, but I got liquid water equivalents for the first 3.5" that we had.

There was 0.05" actual liquid in the bottom of the rain gage and then when the snow melted in to it the total was 0.51".  So the 3.5" melted down to 0.46" which is 7.6:1 ratio.

32F with moderate to heavy snow right now, although it looks to lighten soon.  This is a much more substantial snow than the 2 previous fluff bombs.  The plow piles along the side of the street are twice the size.

7.6" Port Jeff @ 3:15 PM...snow has slackened to flurries, snow grains, graupel and maybe even some freezing drizzle...pushes seasonal total here to 40.1 inches.

My totals listed are for Bay Ridge in southern Brooklyn, and they're also in my signature. I had 7" today when I measured about half an hour ago, and we've probably added a bit more as it's snowing moderately to heavily again. The City has been a snowy place this winter for sure, and the South Coast has done very well.

one last hurrah in hoboken.. havent been able to measure since noon (4.1" then) but I would guess around 6" with the compaction seems reasonable.. anyone have any reports from around the area to confirm/contradict that?

6-7" in FiDi corroborates

I was surprised because it does gives the impression of more.

Yeah it looks so pasty that you'd think it's more. Just a real heavy wet snow bomb. Classic for this region. We are still ripping good right now maybe best rates of the day so 8 or 9 is still possible.

Archived