Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 8th-10th 2014 Possible Storm

Epps88

Bold first post, but welcome! (Or are you our favorite guy Wilkes?)  :yikes:

The 18z GEFS was interesting, showing a SLP over WV and a another SLP off the GA/SC coast day 7/8, must be a few members showing a coastal or a miller b that transfers way south. Hard to imagine not getting a miller b though.

Miller Bs can work nicely for ice storms.  Theoretically, they can work okay for snow if the transfer happens far enough south, but that almost never happens (February 1996 being a nice exception, though there was a lot of sleet from that one).  MBY also got 2-4" from Snowmageddon, but that changed to rain for all in N NC/S VA soon thereafter.

Was December 2002 a Miller B?

EDIT: Yes, I guess so: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20021204/

Miller B can still lead to a CAD slop fest for normal areas, yes?

Dec. '02 Ice storm was a Miller B, from case study:

"Moisture streamed into North Carolina Wednesday (12/4) lifting over the surface based cold dry air. As frozen and freezing precipitation was falling across central North Carolina, the Wednesday evening surface map revealed a so-called Miller type “B” pattern of cyclogenesis. This pattern is characterized by a CAD wedge separating dual lows i.e, a well inland and a developing secondary coastal low along a commonly shared frontal boundary."

Look at that CAD, beautiful

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20021204/20021205.06.sus.gif

Actually at least for CAD regions of NC, the GFS has been fairly consistent for the 8th storm on the 06z, 12z, and 18z.  Sure there's been some variance, but essentially the some precip tries to come in early before the high slides off the coast.  But all 3 runs essentially say everything goes over to rain for the last half of the storm, and that half is a pretty hefty qpf.  Euro has been pretty inconsistent with 2 pretty distinctly different outcomes on today's 00z and 12z runs.  So based on the GFS and Euro, things have not trended in a good direction for those wanting some sort of wintry precip. 

Just haven't paid that much attention to the Canadian.

TW

Actually at least for CAD regions of NC, the GFS has been fairly consistent for the 8th storm on the 06z, 12z, and 18z.  Sure there's been some variance, but essentially the some precip tries to come in early before the high slides off the coast.  But all 3 runs essentially say everything goes over to rain for the last half of the storm, and that half is a pretty hefty qpf.  Euro has been pretty inconsistent with 2 pretty distinctly different outcomes on today's 00z and 12z runs.  So based on the GFS and Euro, things have not trended in a good direction for those wanting some sort of wintry precip. 

Just haven't paid that much attention to the Canadian.

TW

So far as I can tell from a quick look, the 12z Canadian didn't really have a storm at all (rain or snow).

Bold first post, but welcome! (Or are you our favorite guy Wilkes?)  :yikes:

Miller Bs can work nicely for ice storms.  Theoretically, they can work okay for snow if the transfer happens far enough south, but that almost never happens (February 1996 being a nice exception, though there was a lot of sleet from that one).  MBY also got 2-4" from Snowmageddon, but that changed to rain for all in N NC/S VA soon thereafter.

Was December 2002 a Miller B?

EDIT: Yes, I guess so: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20021204/

I thought Jan 2010 was a miller b, we mixed, almost always mix with miller b's this far south.

I thought Jan 2010 was a miller b, we mixed, almost always mix with miller b's this far south.

I had forgotten about that.  The RAH event summary page describes it as a hybrid Miller A/B.  That was all-snow here until towards the end to the tune of 7-8", but areas further south had a lot of mixing issues with sleet and even ZR in the southeastern Piedmont and coastal plain.

...The event followed a hybrid "Miller A/B" surface pattern in which a primary storm system tracks northeastward across the Southeast toward the southern Appalachians with other weak areas of low pressure or troughs extending north and northeast from the low center. This pattern results in a somewhat complex vertical thermal pattern with broad areas of mixed precipitation... 

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20100129/sfc.10013015.sus.gif

You can see some definite CAD, too.  IIRC, temperatures were in the 20s for that one, falling into the low 20s by the end of the event.  It stayed cloudy and in the low 20s for the entire next day, so the roads were a solid sheet of snow/ice/sleet. :)  Of course, like any classic NC winter storm, we torched the day prior, IIRC.  LOL.

sfc.10013015.sus.gif

accum.20100129.gif

accum.fzra.20100129.gif

Archived