• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Have we passed the worst of the cold?

Big Jims Videos

So I spent a few hours outside shoveling my moms car out today. It's 15 with wind chills below zero. I was only dressed in a hoodie sweat pants and gloves. I was not cold and I didn't work up a sweat because the snow was light. The cold a few weeks ago felt 10x worse. Has the sun angle moved enough so that these cold outbreaks simply don't feel as cold anymore now that were 30 days past the solstice? Also the snow began to melt on my black driveway where we shoveled but didn't put any salt down. When does sun angle begin to make a factor in real feel temps?

It is the sun angle because portions of my driveway that get strong sun have had slight melt today and there was zero melt there the cold day earlier in the month. Number one reason why i am an early winter fan we have two more weeks before the sun angle becomes a snow eater factor.

The sun angle is helping it feel a bit warmer however if we had an even colder air mass (think 1994, 1985, ect.)  we would feel colder than earlier this winter.  1994 was around the 20-22nd of this month and I recall it feeling MUCH colder than anything we've had this year.  Of course it was much colder.....(about 8 degrees or more colder)

So I spent a few hours outside shoveling my moms car out today. It's 15 with wind chills below zero. I was only dressed in a hoodie sweat pants and gloves. I was not cold and I didn't work up a sweat because the snow was light. The cold a few weeks ago felt 10x worse. Has the sun angle moved enough so that these cold outbreaks simply don't feel as cold anymore now that were 30 days past the solstice? Also the snow began to melt on my black driveway where we shoveled but didn't put any salt down. When does sun angle begin to make a factor in real feel temps?

I think it's a combination. For sure we get acclimated to seasonal temperatures. 40F early in September feels COLD if you like to sit outside. The sun (angle) does help too.

Yes, the sun angle helps (psychologically as well as physically), but I have to think that the larger culprit is just the human body's adaption to the cold.  In early January, we hadn't felt that kind of cold in literally decades so it was very much a shock to the system.  Now, dare I say, it is almost old hat.  The same thing happens in the summer.  That first 90+ F day with humidity is simply brutal, too... especially if it shows up fairly early in the season.... By August, yeah, those days still suck, but they are much easier to deal with.     

To respond to the thread title, I'm thinking we may not have passed the "worst of the cold" and certainly not duration-wise, but we are probably getting somewhat used to it. Single digits, 0F, and below 0F is becoming less "headline worthy", although the duration and the effects of the duration will probably become newsworthy.

Archived