• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/21 Redeveloping Clipper Storm

DDweatherman

I don't like the northern trends via the ECMWF either...especially when supported by BOTH the RAP and parallel RAP trends, which have also been trending farther north with the .50" axis going from the 03Z-04Z-05Z runs. DCA is now closer to the .25" contour than .50" contour. 

Now you will have weenies heading to the ledge.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you will have weenies heading to the ledge.

Sorry...I've just seen this script way too many times before.  It's not a stretch to get that best frontogenetic banding to set up *just* to our north, which would create a less-than-uniform pcpn profile north-south.  In other words, folks in those fgen bands make out like a bandit, probably over .50" liquid equivalent, while the rest of us farther south would be lucky to get to .25-.40.  Don't get me wrong, that's still a nice moderate event.  It's just probably closer to the original 4-6/3-6" call than it is 5-9" (for DCA).

RAP the past few hours have agreed with EURO.. This is for 20z tomorrow..  :(

h5 heights in orange

850 temps in colored lines

700 vvel in solid color

700mb wind barbs

thin white lines are SLP

attachicon.gif2014012104z_RAP_Composite_h16.PNG

im not worried about 20z.....that will all sink south...more worried about just overall QPF and temps...i think at this point we know the GFS is an outlier and the start is going to be delayed...

Sorry...I've just seen this script way too many times before.  It's not a stretch to get that best frontogenetic banding to set up *just* to our north, which would create a less-than-uniform pcpn profile north-south.  In other words, folks in those fgen bands make out like a bandit, probably over .50" liquid equivalent, while the rest of us farther south would be lucky to get to .25-.40.  Don't get me wrong, that's still a nice moderate event.  It's just probably closer to the original 4-6/3-6" call than it is 5-9" (for DCA).

I hope all these worries are unfounded tomorrow morning. Have a great night.

I don't like the northern trends via the ECMWF either...especially when supported by BOTH the RAP and parallel RAP trends, which have also been trending farther north with the .50" axis going from the 03Z-04Z-05Z runs. DCA is now closer to the .25" contour than .50" contour. 

It was one heck of a fun ride though

we should have known better, especially with the trends this fall and winter.

I am readjusting my expectations to a dusting to one inch, and not as cold tomorrow. variable cloudiness, temps near 32 all day then falling off at night as the low moves well northeast of Cape Cod.

Cold and dry for the next 7 days, then mild and drenching rainfall. Rinse and repeat.

We live in or near dca. When will we learn? 

The deadskins lose and break our hearts. The models lead us on then move the snow event well north only about 9 to 14 hours out from the event.

We're DCers. We are destined to suffer broken hearts. It is what it is.

EDIT: My phone forecast on weatherbug just upped the forecast amts of snow to 6 to 10 inches. Don't they ever look at the latest model runs? South Pennsylvania will get 6 to 10 inches. Eastern Prince William, where I reside, will get perhaps an inch of snow, and I'll be satisfied. I know my climo, and I understand this winter's trends. This winter's trends are north. This means snow will miss me to the north and I will see a car topping to an inch. NWS is playing catch up again ha ha ha.

06Z Nam is coming in closer to the 00Z ECMWF.  Best frontogenetic banding and betters UVVs in the dendritic growth zone are north of DCA...basically where the first "finger" frontogenetic band is setting up early this AM (along the Mason-Dixon line).  This is NOT to suggest we're out of at least moderate accums.  Not at all.  However, as we've seen before, if the fgen snow bands set up several hours earlier farther north, we may have to wait a while longer down in DCA-land before we see good accumulation rates with the pivoting deformation axis.  The net result is X hours less of really good snowfall rates.  This is probably why both the NAM and EC are coming in right at .38-.40" for DCA (both the 00Z EC and 06Z NAM are remarkably consistent now...)

06Z Nam is coming in closer to the 00Z ECMWF.  Best frontogenetic banding and betters UVVs in the dendritic growth zone are north of DCA...basically where the first "finger" frontogenetic band is setting up early this AM (along the Mason-Dixon line).  This is NOT to suggest we're out of at least moderate accums.  Not at all.  However, as we've seen before, if the fgen snow bands set up several hours earlier farther north, we may have to wait a while longer down in DCA-land before we see good accumulation rates with the pivoting deformation axis.  The net result is X hours less of really good snowfall rates.  This is probably why both the NAM and EC are coming in right at .38-.40" for DCA (both the 00Z EC and 06Z NAM are remarkably consistent now...)

Yikes.

rap_total_precip_neng_18.png

Time-sensitive http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Also, the RAP as illustrated above shows DCA at .3 and MBY at .2 with respect to qpf. My estimates of an inch of snow may be right on target, although I think that DCA might manage 3-4 inches out of this.

Yikes.

rap_total_precip_neng_18.png

Hmm, for some reason, what I'm seeing with the 07Z RAP here at work is a little wetter, at least the 12hr amounts from 13-01Z.  DCA still around .40-.45 with the .50" not far to the N-NW.  Yes, continuing the disturbing trend, but not enough to ensue a weenie suicide watch. 

My thinking is that at least for the city, if these short term trends come to fruition, amounts are probably going to verify closer to the original 3-5/4-6" forecast than the current 6-8".  Still a good "moderate" event nonetheless..

Hmm, for some reason, what I'm seeing with the 07Z RAP here at work is a little wetter, at least the 12hr amounts from 13-01Z.  DCA still around .40-.45 with the .50" not far to the N-NW.  Yes, continuing the disturbing trend, but not enough to ensue a weenie suicide watch. 

My thinking is that at least for the city, if these short term trends come to fruition, amounts are probably going to verify closer to the original 3-5/4-6" forecast than the current 6-8".  Still a good "moderate" event nonetheless..

Ya looks like winners will be NW. 

Can anyone explain the SREF's and why they appear to suck bad enough to give Dulles what looks like a 14" mean?

ETA: It looks like there are 11 members higher than that too.  Not some rogue member at 50" either like usual.  Almost all of the higher members are clustered between 12" and 18".

Can you post? Having issues on my phone getting data

I dont comprehend why the latest AFD out of LWX insists that northern Virginia will get 6 to 10 inches of snow. 

I've seen the latest model runs. It is obvious that the heaviest snows are farther north, if not in Pennsylvania, then in northern Maryland.

Maybe the mets at the NWS are asleep.

When I wake up in about 6 hours I expect to see cloudy skies with a winter weather advisory - or no advisory at all - with an inch of snow expected for my back yard. Someone really needs to politely enlighten these renowned NWS mets about the latest model runs. It's farther north. We're not getting 6 to 10 inches in N VA. Pennsylvania and N MD will.

I'm not knocking the mets, I respect them, but the models are farther north which means we will be spared all the heavy snow, I can work out this afternoon and Baltimore can spin their tires instead of northern Virginians.

Both the NWS site and my phone's weather center are all honking about heavy snow for N VA. I don't get it, I've seen the model runs. North trend wins, if I am lucky enough to get a dusting, I'll be happy. Just give me my Arctic air.

Dont know why, but I feel tons better after seeing the 6z GFS.   Look...just 36 hours, we all were off the chain thrilled with 0.25.   Then we started rolling lucky and increasing with every run after that.   Even if we "only" got 0.4, were looking good for 4 to 6.   I'd love 6 to 10, but at the same time, we need to realize there's a very real probability that York PA is going to get jackpotted.   We'll still probably get our biggest snowfall in 3 years

Dont know why, but I feel tons better after seeing the 6z GFS.   Look...just 36 hours, we all were off the chain thrilled with 0.25.   Then we started rolling lucky and increasing with every run after that.   Even if we "only" got 0.4, were looking good for 4 to 6.   I'd love 6 to 10, but at the same time, we need to realize there's a very real probability that York PA is going to get jackpotted.   We'll still probably get our biggest snowfall in 3 years

The GFS was a big run for your crew. I feel like Baltimore might be safe for 6 at this point. The north trend is always a worrisome one, but I feel its a bit off as the precip max moves SE when the bands begin to rotate through. At that point, everyone should be getting crushed. 

The 06Z GFS goes ape-Sh!t with the pcpn, as in between .50 and .75 for the DMV.  However, I notice that a good chunk of that occurs between 12-18Z...as in .25"-.50" with the half inch contour over FDK and Westminster.  In other words, we're gonna find out between now and 18Z whether or not the GFS is overly robust..

Archived