joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+PDO config gained some real estate too, Mitch. Pattern over the next 7 days should make it look even better. It's looking fairly likely the we will enter December with the highest PDO # since 02-03. U of Washington data has Dec 02 @ 2.10. I could see a less robust version of this in the PDO domain come Dec 1st:

anomnight.12.2.2002.gif

+PDO config gained some real estate too, Mitch. Pattern over the next 7 days should make it look even better. It's looking fairly likely the we will enter December with the highest PDO # since 02-03. U of Washington data has Dec 02 @ 2.10. I could see a less robust version of this in the PDO domain come Dec 1st:

anomnight.12.2.2002.gif

I looked at that for a split second before I realized it was 02-03 and was salivating...

too bad Nino is weak...

It is what it is unfortunately. At least it looks better now than we though it would a month ago. 

Coastal posted about the latest euro SIPS in the sne forum. Looks like an aleutian low on the means and blocking during Jan-Feb. Even with a weak Nino, Pac looks quite tasty. Looking forward to getting the first advisory level monkey off the back event of the year. Maybe it sneaks in during the first 10 days of Dec....

sure...in 40N where they are good...There are a couple outliers but they aren't  great for DC...

Do you think there's an actual meteorological reason why they haven't been good or do you think it's more a small sample size effect?  I made a post about this somewhere up-thread, but I sort of have to believe it's a SSS effect at least in part.  

Do you think there's an actual meteorological reason why they haven't been good or do you think it's more a small sample size effect?  I made a post about this somewhere up-thread, but I sort of have to believe it's a SSS effect at least in part.  

both...but southern stream tends not to be as robust in weaker events, and storm track tends to be to our west more often...I don't think it is any coincidence that 57-58, 63-64, 65-66, 86-87, 02-03, 09-10 were big snow winters...

both...but southern stream tends not to be as robust in weaker events, and storm track tends to be to our west more often...I don't think it is any coincidence that 57-58, 63-64, 65-66, 86-87, 02-03, 09-10 were big snow winters...

Yeah, agree with the later for sure.  I guess my thought is with a large enough sample (and a stable climate), you should get a bell curve of snowfall around some ideal/optimal ENSO state.  Probably, that's in the moderate Nino range.  If that's true, then the bad trend in weak Ninos and the good trend in cold neutrals/weak Ninas would shift.  All speculation, but just my thoughts OTTOMH.  

I've never felt that a snowy winter was going to be likely or "easy" this year. We can easily be cold and underperform on the snow. IMHO- it will come down to knocking out 1-2 solid events to hit 125%+ of climo. Whiff on those we we nickel and dime and not hit the mark. Pretty much stating the obvious.

Any winter with one or more decent patterns only increases chances but doesn't lock in anything. Wasting decent patterns is a bit of a staple in our parts. OTOH- last winter maximized an otherwise so-so pattern. Our snow totals the last 20 years have been similar to the Skins seasons. Every once in a while we accidentally make the playoffs but a losing record is much more common. Making the playoffs 2 years in a row? hmmm....heh...

but the west coast is different, warm this year. Not sure if that would change much though. Nice to see the warm patches similar along the east coast though.

I don't think the warm anoms off of baja are a bad thing but not really something I know much about. Since the npac is the primary driver of our lw pattern, the similarities to 02-03 in the pdo region is a definite plus. The wildcard is how much of a ss we can get going in a weaker enso regime than 02-03

I would say HM summed it up a few pages ago, days ago. Like many others, this news outlet is looking for something scientific and mysterious to hype for the public. Although QBO seems to have risen to a prime modest negative value since early Oct, a good thing to asset with destroying the PV.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/clim/sst.anom.anim.week.html

Archived