wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 3-6th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with windfields and fluffy nature of snow....blizzard conditions look likely for LOT via the 12Z NAM verbatim sunday evening (maybe not enough to meet the criteria for a full blown warning)....FWIW

Yep. 20-25 kt sustained winds it looks like with this run. Deepen this thing another 6-8 mb and blizzard warning criteria could be met

ORD could of had a shot at two 12" events in under a week.,

Speaking of this...

Chicago has only seen back-to-back 10"+ snowstorms 3 times on record...

12.4" - 1/25-27/1978

10.3" - 2/6-7/1978

14.3" - 3/25-26/1970

10.7" - 4/1-2/1970

12.5" - 2/3-4/1896

12.0" - 2/12-13/1896

I love snow, but this may be bad timing for another major storm. If another foot falls, the temps are gonna be far too dangerous to trek out & shovel. Like I said before, a second major winter storm in 5 days teamed up with the cold would shut down the city of Chicago. And probably other places as well since we'll all be cold.

with windfields and fluffy nature of snow....blizzard conditions look likely for LOT via the 12Z NAM verbatim sunday evening (maybe not enough to meet the criteria for a full blown warning)....FWIW

along the lakefront, easily. And wow at the SREF plumes...if this turns into a major it will be a major coup for them.

Yeah 925mb winds to 45kts over the area. Gotta check mixing/soundings

Yep. 20-25 kt sustained winds it looks like with this run. Deepen this thing another 6-8 mb and blizzard warning criteria could be met

along the lakefront, easily

Yeah...not really seeing full blown blanket warning criteria....but for sure some locals could see moments of extremely low visibility / blizzard conditions .... again, just verbatim on that one model run...will be interesting to see if the rate/location of strengthening SLP continues the trend or we're just seeing the peak...

Either way...this might make for an easier call for LOT to go WSW for most of LOT now....(again, if the trend continues via the models this morning)

I also like the fact this storm is not complete wrapped up before it starts.  The storms already wrapped up as they head into MI seem to fail in this area.

THIS X10!

This event is almost into now cast time and it looks like my biggest hit since the super clipper in 2004?

Josh can varify the exact date I'm sure.

Howell picked up 11 inches from that clipper.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

:weenie:  Yep! U & me gonna love this one! Would be biggest since living in Marshall 11 yrs. as I briefly moved away and missed the Jan '05 Manitoba Mauler storm. Luvin' this winter! :sled:  

LAF still looks in pretty good shape.. But down here near IND, precip issues quickly becoming an issue..

I'm not able to pull up maps at work, but I have seen a few people on other places say it doesn't appear that the NAM is taking into account the snowcover now with temps? Any idea if that is truely the case?

you get a flood light for night vision yet?

I've had a flood light going for the past two events, but it's pointing up/out so you can see snowfall rates. Maybe I should consider re-positioning it. With so much snow down though, it's hard to find good footing for it (it's on a stake). 

Archived