• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Continental United States Geographical Breakdown

When it comes to breaking down the Continental US into region specific areas it's always interesting seeing the different maps and breakdowns across the internet.  There doesn't appear to be an exact definition or method of doing so but there are certainly some maps out there that make you go, "what".  

Anyways, I've always tried to go through and make my own conclusions and such and given how there is no exact why to do so, I suppose there is no correct answer, however, I always tried to think really hard of what exactly is the best way to do this.  

Below is what I've just come up with.  

Northeast: 

Maine

Vermont

New Hampshire

New York (excluding Long Island)

Massachusetts

Connecticut 

Rhode Island

Mid-Atlantic:

Pennsylvania

New Jersey

Long Island

Maryland

Delaware

West Virginia

Virginia

North Carolina

Tennessee/Ohio Valley

Michigan (excluding UP)

Illinois

Indiana

Ohio

Kentucky

Tennessee

Southeast

South Carolina

Mississippi

Alabama

Georgia

Florida

West Coast

Washington

Oregon

Idaho 

California

Nevada

Arizona

Inter-mountain West

Montana

Wyoming

Utah

Colorado

New Mexico

Southern Plains

Texas

Louisiana

Oklahoma

Arkansas

Central Plains

Nebraska

Iowa

Kansas

Missouri 

North Plains

North Dakota

South Dakota

Minnesota

Wisconsin

UP Michigan 

post-443-0-37144600-1387638829_thumb.jpg

Just thought it would be cool to see how others break down the US into different regions and also looking for any input and such since I'm really anal about this stuff

NC is not mid-atlantic, although we do often participate in many of the MA winter storms.

It's considered more the Southeast?  

Thanks for that input...I'm absolutely open to making necessary changes as I want this to be as close to reality and what would be more widely accepted as possible.  

It's considered more the Southeast?  

Thanks for that input...I'm absolutely open to making necessary changes as I want this to be as close to reality and what would be more widely accepted as possible.

Culturally and historically, it's definitely SE. Weatherwise, it's a little more mixed, but it's definitely not as cold or snowy as the true MA.

Culturally and historically, it's definitely SE. Weatherwise, it's a little more mixed, but it's definitely not as cold or snowy as the true MA.

This makes a great deal of sense.  

Also goes into another point about breaking states into regions.  It depends on what you're relating too.  In my case, since this is more weather based, it makes complete sense to have everything grouped together in terms of similar climo.  

Anyways, I've always tried to go through and make my own conclusions and such and given how there is no exact why to do so, I suppose there is no correct answer, however, I always tried to think really hard of what exactly is the best way to do this.  

Below is what I've just come up with.  

My biggest issues with yours are calling the UP of Michigan part of the Northern Plains (their climate and way of life are vastly different from plains states), the Lower Peninsula of Michigan being part of the Ohio/TN Valley (they are far too north) and Louisiana being considered in the Southern Plains (climate and geology).  

I don't think you can make a lot of states solely one region or another, which is why my map looks the way it does.  In fact, I would even adjust mine further, to add parts of Wyoming and Montana to the Great Plains

My biggest issues with yours are calling the UP of Michigan part of the Northern Plains (their climate and way of life are vastly different from plains states), the Lower Peninsula of Michigan being part of the Ohio/TN Valley (they are far too north) and Louisiana being considered in the Southern Plains (climate and geology).  

I don't think you can make a lot of states solely one region or another, which is why my map looks the way it does.  In fact, I would even adjust mine further, to add parts of Wyoming and Montana to the Great Plains

The labels aren't exactly set in stone...I just threw those up just for time purposes.  

The main driver here was just trying to group states in a closer proximity to each other rather than really based on Climo...in order to do Climo you would have to have a tremendous understanding of virtually each states Climo and that is something I certainly don't know.  

Going back to my map I would probably move AZ into the same region as New Mexico.

What I really like about your breakdown is how you just didn't include a state in it's entirety in a region...going that route will definitely yield to a more accurate breakdown but on the other hand, leading to more work (which is not a bad thing).  

Though not part of any US region. The way Southern Ontario sticks deep into the US is always interesting when looking at a map. We are tied economically and to a certain extent culturally to both the North East and Mid West. I would agree with other posters though which think that the Great Lakes should be its own region. 

I just wonder if this isn't going about it the wrong way. I might start by listing pairs of cites and asking if they have similar weather... e.g., Buffalo and Cleveland, clearly yes; Buffalo and Syracuse, yes; Syracuse and Albany, no; Cleveland and Columbus, no. I might document my rules for groupings (e.g. lake instability a factor much of the year).

On the second map above, I could not pair, say, Memphis with Charleston WV based on notable differences in climate and generally disparate outcomes during synoptic events.

Archived