• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The SNE Outdoor Winter Weather Gear Thread

Tropopause_Fold

Ok - been meaning to start this thread for a while. Hopefully mods don't mind and don't move it to OT. I know there is a ton of stuff that folks do outdoors to enjoy the elements. And when it's freezing cold - you have to own the right stuff to make it enjoyable. 

Sitting on the lift when it's -10F and blowing 20 knots can be brutal without the right cold weather gear...been there many times. 

Me, I've started running and found that once it gets down under 35F, personally, I don't like going with just a t-shirt and shorts. Need better stuff - so any runners can share their ideas.

So with Christmas coming soon, I'm curious what good stuff people own? Maybe you'll get some good ideas too and you can ask Santa Weenie to bring you something. Anyway:

Best brands?

Best for certain types of days? 

etc.

Ok - been meaning to start this thread for a while. Hopefully mods don't mind and don't move it to OT. I know there is a ton of stuff that folks do outdoors to enjoy the elements. And when it's freezing cold - you have to own the right stuff to make it enjoyable. 

Sitting on the lift when it's -10F and blowing 20 knots can be brutal without the right cold weather gear...been there many times. 

Me, I've started running and found that once it gets down under 35F, personally, I don't like going with just a t-shirt and shorts. Need better stuff - so any runners can share their ideas.

So with Christmas coming soon, I'm curious what good stuff people own? Maybe you'll get some good ideas too and you can ask Santa Weenie to bring you something. Anyway:

Best brands?

Best for certain types of days? 

etc.

Dri fit shirts in layers.. but never more than 3 even when below zero and windy

Running tights with basketball shorts over them

Running gloves..1 pair since your hands sweat

Dri fit hat--Does 2 things.. soaks up sweat and keeps your ears from falling off in cold wind

And last but maybe most importantly something to tuck in the trousers to keep the weenie area warm..cold winds thru several layers can still do a number in that area

Dri fit shirts in layers.. but never more than 3 even when below zero and windy

Running tights with basketball shorts over them

Running gloves..1 pair since your hands sweat

Dri fit hat--Does 2 things.. soaks up sweat and keeps your ears from falling off in cold wind

And last but maybe most importantly something to tuck in the trousers to keep the weenie area warm..cold winds thru several layers can still do a number in that area

cool...

brands? 

Great advice from Kevin.

I'll add my 2 cents:

Running:

This is what works for me, but obviously, everyone is different.

For cold weather running, I love the Sugoi Midzero products.  I have both the zip top and tights.

I also have a couple of Under Armour fitted long sleeve crew tops.  I like them becuase they fit close without being skin tight.  I also have lots of short sleeve tech shirts from various manufacturers.

Down to about 45F, I'll just wear shorts and a tech t-shirt.

Between about 40-45F, I'll switch to the UA long sleeve shirt.

Under 40F, I'll add the tights.

Under about 35F, I'll add a short sleeve shirt over the UA long sleeve shirt. I'll aslo add a fleece hat and gloves.

When it dips into the 20s, I'll ditch the other shirts for just the Mizero zip top.

If it's about 15F or colder, I'll add a fleece neck warmer and a Patagonia Nano Puff vest over the Midzero top.  The vest is insulated with Primaloft, which I adore.

If it's too cold for that, I'll bike inside on the trainer.

Disclaimor: I generate a lot of heat when I run.  A lot of my training partners need to layer up a bit more than I do.  Also, the above is geared for a moderate effort.  For a race or particularly hard training run, I'll lose another layer.

Tip:  If you have a Marshalls near you, they can have great prices on Hind, NB, and Nike gear, among others.

Skiing:

For skiing, I use some of the same layers.  On bottom, I wear a waterproof/breathable shell over fleece pants.  On very cold days, I'll add midweight thermal long underwear under the fleece pants.

On top I wear the UA long sleeve top and then, depending on the weather, layer some combination of these:

Midzero top
Polartec Power Stretch Top (I love this layer for skiing.  It gets the most use and is a mandatory item in my view.  It's great on its own for warmer days.)
Patagonia Puff Vest

Then, I'll top it off with either a uninsulated soft shell, a fleece lined soft shell, or Primaloft insulated jacket (mine is EMS).

I also have a lightweight REI waterproof/breathable hard shell jacket that I like a lot, but I never wear it skiing unless it's actively raining.  I don't understand why the hard shell is the default jacket for skiing for most folks.  It doesn't breathe nearly as well as a soft shell or Primaloft jacket, and I've found absolute waterproofness to be unecessary above the waist in cold weather, even in deep snow or during snow storms.  Pants should be waterproof though, preferable with zip vents for warmer days.

A fleece neckwarmer, comforable helmet, goggles (always), and guantlet mittens!

Very thin wicking socks.  The ski boot should provide the insulation.

OK.  Maybe that was more than 2 cents.  I'm a bit of a zealot about cold weather gear.

Edit: Changed Polarfleece to Polartec.  Need to work on my trademark recall.

Great advice from Kevin.

I'll add my 2 cents:

Running:

This is what works for me, but obviously, everyone is different.

For cold weather running, I love the Sugoi Midzero products.  I have both the zip top and tights.

I also have a couple of Under Armour fitted long sleeve crew tops.  I like them becuase they fit close without being skin tight.  I also have lots of short sleeve tech shirts from various manufacturers.

Down to about 45F, I'll just wear shorts and a tech t-shirt.

Between about 40-45F, I'll switch to the UA long sleeve shirt.

Under 40F, I'll add the tights.

Under about 35F, I'll add a short sleeve shirt over the UA long sleeve shirt. I'll aslo add a fleece hat and gloves.

When it dips into the 20s, I'll ditch the other shirts for just the Mizero zip top.

If it's about 15F or colder, I'll add a fleece neck warmer and a Patagonia Nano Puff vest over the Midzero top.  The vest is insulated with Primaloft, which I adore.

If it's too cold for that, I'll bike inside on the trainer.

Disclaimor: I generate a lot of heat when I run.  A lot of my training partners need to layer up a bit more than I do.  Also, the above is geared for a moderate effort.  For a race or particularly hard training run, I'll lose another layer.

Tip:  If you have a Marshalls near you, they can have great prices on Hind, NB, and Nike gear, among others.

Skiing:

For skiing, I use some of the same layers.  On bottom, I wear a waterproof/breathable shell over fleece pants.  On very cold days, I'll add midweight thermal long underwear under the fleece pants.

On top I wear the UA long sleeve top and then, depending on the weather, layer some combination of these:

Midzero top
Polarfleece Power Stretch Top (I love this layer for skiing.  It gets the most use and is a mandatory item in my view.  It's great on its own for warmer days.)
Patagonia Puff Vest

Then, I'll top it off with either a uninsulated soft shell, a fleece lined soft shell, or Primaloft insulated jacket (mine is EMS).

I also have a lightweight REI waterproof/breathable hard shell jacket that I like a lot, but I never wear it skiing unless it's actively raining.  I don't understand why the hard shell is the default jacket for skiing for most folks.  It doesn't breathe nearly as well as a soft shell or Primaloft jacket, and I've found absolute waterproofness to be unecessary above the waist in cold weather, even in deep snow or during snow storms.  Pants should be waterproof though, preferable with zip vents for warmer days.

A fleece neckwarmer, comforable helmet, goggles (always), and guantlet mittens!

Very thin wicking socks.  The ski boot should provide the insulation.

OK.  Maybe that was more than 2 cents.  I'm a bit of a zealot about cold weather gear.

Great skiing gear advice. I run on a tread mill, advice drink water and don"t watch the babes in front of you when your wife is on the treadmill next to you. That is all

Here's an example of a Power Stretch top similar to mine:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-eko-polartec-power-stretch-shirt-zip-neck-long-sleeve-for-men~p~6729a/?filterString=s~power-stretch-men%2F&colorFamily=01

Sierra Trading Post is a great place to buy gear.  You can easily find coupons to cut about 30% off their already low prices.

Good luck!

Under Armor base layer for skiing or really anything outside in the winter for me. Variety of layers after that depending on temps. Shell or medium weight lined Patagonia jacket on top for me. Light-weight long under-wear and fleece pants under shell gore-tex pants for the bottom.

I'm a big fan of UA base layers.

Under Armor base layer for skiing or really anything outside in the winter for me. Variety of layers after that depending on temps. Shell or medium weight lined Patagonia jacket on top for me. Light-weight long under-wear and fleece pants under shell gore-tex pants for the bottom.

I'm a big fan of UA base layers.

I picture you in a big l one piece snowsuit with a metal clip /belt fastened in the front

My winter outdoor sport is snowmobiling but the under layers are similar. Under Armour base layer and then sweat pants and a longs leave turtle neck or mock. I have a Choko jacket and bibs. For the feet, I wear Darn Tough socks and Kamik or Sorel boots. I've never really been cold while riding except when we stop. Of course there is a helmet and some pretty heavy duty leather gloves too.

My winter outdoor sport is snowmobiling but the under layers are similar. Under Armour base layer and then sweat pants and a longs leave turtle neck or mock. I have a Choko jacket and bibs. For the feet, I wear Darn Tough socks and Kamik or Sorel boots. I've never really been cold while riding except when we stop. Of course there is a helmet and some pretty heavy duty leather gloves too.

Oh yeah I forgot. Always run in wool Darn Tough socks winter or summer. Never cotton socks. Darn Tough replaces your socks when they wear out with no questions asked.

Oh yeah I forgot. Always run in wool Darn Tough socks winter or summer. Never cotton socks. Darn Tough replaces your socks when they wear out with no questions asked.

Agreed. We get Darn Tough socks for work at the ski area and those have been fantastic the past couple years. I would definitely recommend that brand. Anything cotton in the winter is a bad idea no matter where you wear it. It gets wet from sweat or snow and you'll freeze.

The Darn Tough factory is about 20 minutes away from me. Every year they have a sock sale two weekends in November. Socks for $8 - $15. Lines out

the door. I've never had to test the gauruntee

Agreed. We get Darn Tough socks for work at the ski area and those have been fantastic the past couple years. I would definitely recommend that brand. Anything cotton in the winter is a bad idea no matter where you wear it. It gets wet from sweat or snow and you'll freeze.

Made in Northfield, VT.

The Darn Tough factory is about 20 minutes away from me. Every year they have a sock sale two weekends in November. Socks for $8 - $15. Lines out

the door. I've never had to test the gauruntee

I did this past summer. I ran 4 marathons in the same pair along with lots of training and they got holes in them. I mailed them out in an envelope and in 2 days received a brand new pair express mail

Skinny socks skiing, wick out, never heavy socks

Yep. And layers is the bottom line. I've been skiing since before gore-tex (as have you I imagine). You don't necessarily have to spend top dollar on high tech clothing (but it helps). Just wearing thermals and a couple layers on top of that for cold weather and a gore-tex outer layer will get you through most anything. Since I'm cheap, I'll go skiing with thermals, jeans, and a decent pair of ski pants with no problems. On top, thermals, a turtleneck, a sweater (or some other thick layer) and a good ski jacket. The toughest part is good gloves, and a way to cover your head/face. Decent ski boots and socks take care of my feet.

Archived