• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 1

dmc76

Pretty much impossible for this winter to drop under a solid B+ even if the rest is lame. That 10 day stretch was about as pure as it gets around here.

This winter gets a B so far for these parts. The ice storm was "exciting" but really taxing on a lot of us who lost power. There hasn't been much significant snow, just numerous 2-3" snowfalls for the most part. Cold has been impressive, though, but nothing unseen for winter here. An improvement on the last two years for sure, though. Simply nothing synoptic since December. This winter has been full of skim jobs, which sure adds insult to injury.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter gets a B so far for these parts. The ice storm was "exciting" but really taxing on a lot of us who lost power. There hasn't been much significant snow, just numerous 2-3" snowfalls for the most part. Cold has been impressive, though, but nothing unseen for winter here. An improvement on the last two years for sure, though. Simply nothing synoptic since December. This winter has been full of skim jobs, which sure adds insult to injury.

You may overtake me to be the JI of the Lakes sub-forum.

I'd give this winter a B+/A- so far.

Not sure what you mean by that because the Jan 5th storm was purely synoptic and areas just away from the Lake received 4"+ of snow.

I appreciate you taking the time to channel out your thoughts and your love of Winter, but would you please calm down with some of your  posts like "Winters done", "last time we getting below -10F" and "no more 4" snowstorms", because its getting quite aggravating. And I'm not hating on you by any means, because I know it can be a p!ss off when everyone around you is getting hammered by snow while your cherishing flakes falling from the sky. Its really frustrating and I was about to lose it last Winter prior to the February Blizzard because it feels like we've now become a "Snowless sh!t pot". And so far, this theme still continues and I ****ing hate it. 

Not sure what you mean by that because the Jan 5th storm was purely synoptic and areas just away from the Lake received 4"+ of snow.

I appreciate you taking the time to channel out your thoughts and your love of Winter, but would you please calm down with some of your  posts like "Winters done", "last time we getting below -10F" and "no more 4" snowstorms", because its getting quite aggravating. And I'm not hating on you by any means, because I know it can be a p!ss off when everyone around you is getting hammered by snow while your cherishing flakes falling from the sky. Its really frustrating and I was about to lose it last Winter prior to the February Blizzard because it feels like we've now become a "Snowless sh!t pot". And so far, this theme still continues and I ****ing hate it. 

One thing which I think should be remembered is that we've had snow on the ground non-stop since early to mid December, a massive improvement over the past two winters.

In fairness to Westcoaster, this IS the complaint thread...

It's hard to give winter anything lower than an A here so far.  Well below average temps and already surpassing SEASONAL snowfall totals.

The only thing keeping it from an A+ are the melts soon after good snows. I'm still hurting about losing 17" in just a few days, although I'm back up to 4" now.

It's great that areas away from the lake saw 4"+, but I saw 2.5" from it, so for me it doesn't resonate as anything significant, as I specified.

I don't think I ever said that winter is done. It's mid January. I said that I will be surprised to see a 6"+ dump of snow or dip below -10F for my location, and that I was exhausted of infrequent 2-4" events at best. I don't think there is anything ridiculous to any of those statements.

I would put this winter at a B- so far.

Two of our 3 biggest storms were literal grinders (one of which had a ridiculous duration of 48 hours), and we missed the epic amounts with the January 4th-6th storm (although it was still a solid snowstorm none the less). 

At the same time, we are on pace for the snowiest January on record. And combined with the snow already on the ground, that period after the January 4th-6th storm had some of the worst post-storm conditions Detroit has seen since January 1999, combined with the worst cold outbreak with January 1994. 

Even if the rest of the winter was relatively uneventful storm-wise, if we can just get one storm like Philadelphia saw back in December (with the muffin-size flakes ripping at 2"+ per hour), this winter would get an automatic A- from me. That's not the say I'm still not holding out for the EPIC snowstorm, but I know given Detroit climo and geographical juxtaposition, it's obviously way too much to ask for.

For Toronto, I'd give this winter a C/C+ so far. About average snowfall. A couple of decent snowstorms but nothing spectacular (nice hit right along Lk Ontario December 14th notwithstanding). Snowcover has been consistent, especially in contrast to the last couple of years. But the depth of snow has been fairly shallow. Frequency of snowfall, about average I'd say. 

Can't really think of too many analogs for this winter that I've experienced. 2008-09 was a cold, bland winter up until the middle of February. But the amount of snow that winter from just frequent moderate falls was much greater.

For Toronto, I'd give this winter a C/C+ so far. About average snowfall. A couple of decent snowstorms but nothing spectacular (nice hit right along Lk Ontario December 14th notwithstanding). Snowcover has been consistent, especially in contrast to the last couple of years. But the depth of snow has been fairly shallow. Frequency of snowfall, about average I'd say. 

Can't really think of too many analogs for this winter that I've experienced. 2008-09 was a cold, bland winter up until the middle of February. But the amount of snow that winter from just frequent moderate falls was much greater.

I agree with this 100%. If nothing of significance happens between now and March 21st, the two snowstorms that just missed us in early January will be what would give this winter a C.

First thing we need to do is lose that damn insanely positive PNA and keep the -NAO away.

+1.

Well the GFS is consistent with dropping the PNA. Starts driving storms into the west coast by the 30th.

---

As far as a grade for this winter so far, I would give it a A-. The "-" is for this boring stretch we're in now.

If the rest of the winter didn't feature at least a 6"+ storm, then I'd drop that grade.

+1.

Well the GFS is consistent with dropping the PNA. Starts driving storms into the west coast by the 30th.

---

As far as a grade for this winter so far, I would give it a A-. If the rest of the winter didn't feature at least a 6"+ storm, then I'd drop that grade.

My grade thus far is a A+. But yeah another two weeks of this same boring crap ( basically amounts to losing a whole month of winter/snow chances as we have now had this for about two weeks ) could hurt the grade some.

I don't know how anyone in SEMI can grade below an A for the winter thus far, unless they hate snow or have some sort of unrealistic expectation for winter in this region. At this point we are a slam dunk for a top 20 winter with respect to snow and cold.

The pattern better start changing and fast. Per GFS we lose another two weeks on boring which brings us into Feb. As said above that is nearly a month lost and at the heart of winter at that.

Not saying the GFS will be right either. Just saying i can see how such a outcome would hurt the winter grading for some.

I agree with this 100%. If nothing of significance happens between now and March 21st, the two snowstorms that just missed us in early January will be what would give this winter a C.

For me, cold plays no part in assigning a grade. Perhaps indirectly if lack of cold means less snowcover/depth. But never directly.

The pattern better start changing and fast. Per GFS we lose another two weeks on boring which brings us into Feb. As said above that is nearly a month lost and at the heart of winter at that.

Not saying the GFS will be right either. Just saying i can see how such a outcome would hurt the winter grading for some.

Grades are everyones personal scale. Everyone has different things they hold important to them. That said, as a veteran of weather boards, I have learned that a majority of people from this area (majority, not everybody) have a grading scale that holds mother nature to almost impossible perfection if winter is to get an A. When the going is good to great, straws will be grasped to find something wrong with the winter. I have seen it every year. Actually, its often so extreme that grading in our rare TRUE stinker winters (ie 2011-12) is sort of anti-climactic.

Just for for the sake of example...the 00z GFS has between 9-10" of snow falling at DTW between now and the end of January (per instant weather maps). So we will go with 9.5". Should that happen...DTW will finish the month with 36.0" of snow, smashing the previous record for snowiest January and being the 2nd snowiest month on record, only behind 38.4" in Feb 1908. And that would be cause to LOWER a grade? :lmao:

We have had 3 major snowstorms this winter, two 10"+ storms in a week for just the 2nd time on record, record cold, plenty of snowcover which was deep for a time, reached our seasonal average by mid-January....this winter is a solid A for me so far. Pending the rest of the winter, I can really see no buffer room but A- to A+ depending how good or boring it is.

Everyone has their own way of assigning a grade. There is no right or wrong. 

For me, the amount/depth of snowcover and cold doesn't take nearly as much priority as the quality/frequency of snowstorms.

Either way, I'm sure no one's grade at this point is final, given that we're only half way through winter. 

Everyone has their own way of assigning a grade. There is no right or wrong. 

For me, the amount/depth of snowcover and cold doesn't take nearly as much priority as the quality/frequency of snowstorms.

Either way, I'm sure no one's grade at this point is final, given that we're only half way through winter. 

My grade isnt final. But I think the WORST i could go is If we have a 2000-01 or 2005-06 second half of winter I could go as low as a B+. Plenty of opportunity to hit A+ status if the goods keep delivering.

Grades are everyones personal scale. Everyone has different things they hold important to them. That said, as a veteran of weather boards, I have learned that a majority of people from this area (majority, not everybody) have a grading scale that holds mother nature to almost impossible perfection if winter is to get an A. When the going is good to great, straws will be grasped to find something wrong with the winter. I have seen it every year. Actually, its often so extreme that grading in our rare TRUE stinker winters (ie 2011-12) is sort of anti-climactic.

Just for for the sake of example...the 00z GFS has between 9-10" of snow falling at DTW between now and the end of January (per instant weather maps). So we will go with 9.5". Should that happen...DTW will finish the month with 36.0" of snow, smashing the previous record for snowiest January and being the 2nd snowiest month on record, only behind 38.4" in Feb 1908. And that would be cause to LOWER a grade? :lmao:

We have had 3 major snowstorms this winter, two 10"+ storms in a week for just the 2nd time on record, record cold, plenty of snowcover which was deep for a time, reached our seasonal average by mid-January....this winter is a solid A for me so far. Pending the rest of the winter, I can really see no buffer room but A- to A+ depending how good or boring it is.

Quite a bit of that is a result of the lake. With the kind of cold expected the lake will surely start to freeze up and fast cutting that off.

As said my grade so far is a A+ for the first half of winter. This boring stretch is just getting a little hard to take. The only thing going for it is helping with keeping the streak going with 1+ on the ground. Cold and dry/boring is no better then warm and dry/boring especially in the heart of winter. Get us a half decent event ( 4+)  in the next week or so and i am sure most will simmer down. :)

I understand Harry's point, especially if that 9" comes 1" at a time vs all at once.

Quite a bit of that is a result of the lake. With the kind of cold expected the lake will surely start to freeze up and fast cutting that off.

As said my grade so far is a A+ for the first half of winter. This boring stretch is just getting a little hard to take. The only thing going for it is helping with keeping the streak going with 1+ on the ground. Cold and dry/boring is no better then warm and dry/boring especially in the heart of winter. Get us a half decent event ( 4+)  in the next week or so and i am sure most will simmer down. :)

I think that potential is certainly there Saturday/Sunday for a decent event. Im not happy with it myself only because Im off all week, but it would be literally impossible to keep up the pace we were on.

I understand Harry's point, especially if that 9" comes 1" at a time vs all at once.

Most of that snow was from Jan 25-26 & Jan 28-30. Anyway, we have discussed an OP GFS run way too much :lol:. We have already far exceeded our big snowstorm climo for this winter though we are only at the halfway point, and while it would be disappointing if we dont have anything but nickels and dimes the rest of the way, spreading out those snowstorms over the course of the winter would have taken a bit away from what was an epic stretch mid-Dec to mid-Jan.

My grade isnt final. But I think the WORST i could go is If we have a 2000-01 or 2005-06 second half of winter I could go as low as a B+. Plenty of opportunity to hit A+ status if the goods keep delivering.

As I said before, we if can get one widespread snowstorm where the snow's pouring like in the video below for several hours, then this winter will get an solid A- from me, regardless of what happens going forward. Obviously this isn't an absolute requirement in order for me to raise my grade, but it would be an automatic bump if it did happen.

Given my hate for snow grinders (long duration light snowstorms) and if there's no epic snowstorm, I can't see giving this winter an A or A+.

As I said before, we if can get one widespread snowstorm where the snow's pouring like in the video below for several hours, then this winter will get an solid A- from me, regardless of what happens going forward. Obviously this isn't an absolute requirement in order for me to raise my grade, but it would be an automatic bump if it did happen.

Given my hate for snow grinders (long duration light snowstorms) and if there's no epic snowstorm, I can't see giving this winter an A or A+.

We had pouring snow January 5, at least here.

Archived