joxey
Winter 2013-14 Great Lakes/Ohio Valley Season Snowfall

Chicago Storm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys have been in a great spot this winter for the synoptic events. What is the highest amount for a winter there?

Highest is 93.6" but Im guessing this year finishes 2nd highest. I have a records thread going, feel free to ask any questions in there so we dont stray OT in this thread :)

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42672-detroit-winter-201314-record-watch/

• 2 weeks later...

WOW.. Was just peaking and after tonight Bloomingdale ( Van Buren county in sw MI ) will have crossed the 150 inch mark. They were at 148.2" at the close of Feb so this current system is not on the books yet.

Just crossing the 100" mark here tonight. What a difference 35 or so miles makes.

Didnt know what thread to put this in, but I guess this one is good as any. On March 2nd, Detroit is 49.3" ABOVE normal to date. :o . That is ridiculous! I keep wondering when the departure from normal number will have peaked, and it doesnt seem to want to stop!

May as well shoot for 50".

We've gotten about double a normal season's snowfall and I don't doubt we'll get at least a couple more snow events before all is said and done. Would really make things interesting if we got an early April-type event like in 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Marquette :(

Lots of WNW wind LES has left them a bit below normal (Keweenaw and east of Munising do great this winter). 

Marguette however does have a solid snow cover 2'-3' most of winter with no real melt downs.  So they are doing just fine.

I wonder with this colder spring if they might score some big storms up ahead...

Lots of WNW wind LES has left them a bit below normal (Keweenaw and east of Munising do great this winter). 

Marguette however does have a solid snow cover 2'-3' most of winter with no real melt downs.  So they are doing just fine.

I wonder with this colder spring if they might score some big storms up ahead...

It is worth noting that the obs are in Negaunee which is much snowier than Marquette. Often times the snow depth is way lower in Marquette city, esp this year. Oh theres deep snow...but not near what they have at the NWS.

It is worth noting that the obs are in Negaunee which is much snowier than Marquette. Often times the snow depth is way lower in Marquette city, esp this year. Oh theres deep snow...but not near what they have at the NWS.

Correct, similar to NWS APX Gaylord, which is actually located near Waters Michigan pretty close to my house. It always seems that this area does a little better then the city of Gaylord, mainly due to the location in the county SW corner and the higher elevation

BTW I am at about 166" on the year closing in on 170" Been very slow lately for the last couple months not much since our snow gun shut down from the relentless cold. Still may have a shot at the record (185") though surprisingly with this cold lasting well into spring. Have to imagine we get at least one decent synoptic storm up this way. .  Or even perhaps some more LES if the lake can break up more, with the higher sun angle and warmer temps/winds still possible.

• 1 month later...

42 of the 46 running above normal, with 36 of them in the double-digit inches above normal, and 26 of them 20"+ above normal.

+40"+ departures:
Detroit, MI............+52.7"
Toledo, OH...........+49.1"
Chicago, IL.......... +45.8"

Romeoville, IL.......+44.5"
Grand Rapids, MI..+41.5"

Fort Wayne, IN......+41.5"

Incredible winter. Now onto summer.

Archived