joxey
Winter 2013-14 Great Lakes/Ohio Valley Season Snowfall

Chicago Storm

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great charts Joe!  Do you happen to have the number of days with at least a trace of snow in December?  It doesn't have to be official at ORD....an OBS from your location is fine if you have it....if not, no worries...was just wondering as I know some events rolled into a new date and seems like a good chunk of the days have featured at least some snow falling at one point or another.  It might be a pain in the arse....but it would be cool to have a column for "Days with at least a trace of snow"

Whether you have it or not...thanks Joe!

cheers and happy holidays to you

YYZ's nipher is at 13.4" for the season. Sandy Radecki at the Ontario Climate Centre gave me access to an excel file on their ftp drive that has the data up to date. There's some sort of technical glitch that produces missing and/or late data postings on the public webpage.

Hmm, pretty close to my personal backyard observations. Only about 3cm (1.2") differential. Not bad. I'm assuming they recorded around 29-30cm for December plus the 4.8cm in November. 

They also have incomplete data for July, September and October. 

Hmm, pretty close to my personal backyard observations. Only about 3cm (1.2") differential. Not bad. I'm assuming they recorded around 29-30cm for December plus the 4.8cm in November. 

They also have incomplete data for July, September and October. 

Aside from the December 14th storm, they haven't been too bad I've found.

The glitch is being caused by the new NAVCAN equipment. Too tired now but if you remind me I'll send you a copy of the excel file in the morning.

Great charts Joe!  Do you happen to have the number of days with at least a trace of snow in December?  It doesn't have to be official at ORD....an OBS from your location is fine if you have it....if not, no worries...was just wondering as I know some events rolled into a new date and seems like a good chunk of the days have featured at least some snow falling at one point or another.  It might be a pain in the arse....but it would be cool to have a column for "Days with at least a trace of snow"

Whether you have it or not...thanks Joe!

cheers and happy holidays to you

Both ORD and MBY had 17 days in December with at least a trace of snow.

Aside from the December 14th storm, they haven't been too bad I've found.

The glitch is being caused by the new NAVCAN equipment. Too tired now but if you remind me I'll send you a copy of the excel file in the morning.

Alright lol, sounds great. Rest easy man!  

I guess the new equipment isnt half bad. What did the Dec 14th storm tally up too cause they seem to be missing that one day..

Alright lol, sounds great. Rest easy man!  

I guess the new equipment isnt half bad. What did the Dec 14th storm tally up too cause they seem to be missing that one day..

10.4cm. Based on other reports that seems low by 3-4cm at least. Aside from that, everything else seems fine.

Site doesn't allow me to upload an xls file. If you want to give me your email I can send it to you that way.

YYZ now at 19.0" for the season. A hair above normal but compared to the wreckage being done just to south and west, it's hard not to be disappointed.

Kind of agree, but there is still time to go. The 12z GFS has a nice clipper system next week (Tuesday/Wednesday). The latest CFS v2 forecast for February is calling for below normal temperatures and above average precip.

With the exception of a few missing days in December, the downtown Toronto snowfall data is almost up-to-date. 19.1" fell in December (including 11.2" on the 14th) and 4.1" so far this month. 24.1" for the season.

11.2" on 0.43". That's LES alright. I was a little shocked when I saw that number for the 14th. I think the storm summary issued by EC the day after the storm had only ~7" falling downtown.

The missing data seems to correspond to the ice storm. I don't think much of any frozen precip. fell on those days.

11.2" on 0.43". That's LES alright. I was a little shocked when I saw that number for the 14th. I think the storm summary issued by EC the day after the storm had only ~7" falling downtown.

The missing data seems to correspond to the ice storm. I don't think much of any frozen precip. fell on those days.

I think the downtown observer does two measurements a day, one in the morning and another in the late afternoon or early evening. Most, if not all, of the LES on the 14th fell between the morning and late PM, so the observer would have been able to get an accurate measurement before the snow settled/compacted. The snow from the late PM to the following morning on the 15h was mainly system snow. The snow depth on the morning of the 15th was 7"(18 cm), so if the observer didn't do a measurement on the afternoon of the 14th, the snowfall reported would have been lower. I remember a reports of close to 20 cm (8") falling in parts of the downtown core that afternoon on the 14th, excluding snowfall later that evening.

Both ORD and MBY had 17 days in December with at least a trace of snow.

January has to be approaching this tally as well....i think ORD recorded some snow just after midnight this morning as the LE was working east?

I want to say that even November had 7 days with at least a trace as well?  Thought I remembered reading that somewhere...

January has to be approaching this tally as well....i think ORD recorded some snow just after midnight this morning as the LE was working east?

I want to say that even November had 7 days with at least a trace as well?  Thought I remembered reading that somewhere...

Oct: 2

Nov: 5

Dec: 17

Jan: 13

Oct: 2

Nov: 5

Dec: 17

Jan: 13

ah ok....so by dec 1 they already had 7 occurances ....

I know some of those are cheapies where maybe a prior day's event ended just after midnight....giving tallies to 2 days...but hey...if we get screwed out of missing out on record low high temps because of midnight high temperatures....what the heck, right? lol

and thanks for the list!

Just a few sites that are off to a fast start, I'm probably missing a few, sorry if I did. Anyways, season snowfall and departures through January 21...and then what each site normally averages from January 22 to March 31.

Chicago

Through Jan 21: 44.8" +27.9"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 18.3"

Detroit

Through Jan 21: 44.5" +24.7"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 21.2"

Fort Wayne

Through Jan 21: 34.2" +16.9"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 15.2

Indianapolis

Through Jan 21: 33.3" +19.6"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 12.0"

Toledo

Through Jan 21: 42.6" +25.4"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 19.0"

Just a few sites that are off to a fast start, I'm probably missing a few, sorry if I did. Anyways, season snowfall and departures through January 21...and then what each site normally averages from January 22 to March 31.

Chicago

Through Jan 21: 44.8" +27.9"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 18.3"

Detroit

Through Jan 21: 44.5" +24.7"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 21.2"

Fort Wayne

Through Jan 21: 34.2" +16.9"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 15.2

Indianapolis

Through Jan 21: 33.3" +19.6"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 12.0"

Toledo

Through Jan 21: 42.6" +25.4"

Normal snowfall Jan 22-Mar 31: 19.0"

Nice.

So even slightly below normal snowfall the rest of the way would yield another 60"+ winter at Detroit. Since records began in 1880, there have been 15 winters with 60+ inches of snowfall. Thats 15 winters in 133 years. Breaking it down further.....10 of those were scattered about in the first 122 years, and 5 the last 11 years. So we stand a decent chance of having our 6th 60"+ winter in the last 12 years, after going the previous 122 years with just 10 such winters. :mapsnow:

Archived