CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
CAD storms thread.

dsaur

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as was the case on the last few GFS runs, this Dec. 8th CAD is mainly a WNC threat for ZR per the 0Z gfs as opposed to a more extensive (to the SW) threat like 12/05, 1/05, and the two 1/00 ZR's that reached at least as far west as the western Atlanta burbs. But it is still very early of course.

Just as was the case on the last few GFS runs, this Dec. 8th CAD is mainly a WNC threat for ZR per the 0Z gfs as opposed to a more extensive (to the SW) threat like 12/05, 1/05, and the two 1/00 ZR's that reached at least as far west as the western Atlanta burbs. But it is still very early of course.

. It's probably said on here two or three times a day, but , maybe model underestimating the strength/density of the cold air? But per that run, it barely noses into upstate SC

Well, it's way to early for some idiot to be starting a thread, but since it's done, best take Widre's advice, and cool the enthusiasm jets :)

That said, I'm seeing we have a forum full of tucking crazy people, and ice is a possible...so those that want it please take the portions meant for those who don't, lol.  I doubt, at this point we have more than a 15 or 20 % chance of ice outside of N. C., Tenn, and back to Texas, and less for sleet, but I will be doing my best to change destruction, to obstruction, so the lanes are free for sledding, lol.  A 1040 high pushing down, making a moisture sandwich with a cad high, makes you pay attention :)  T

Edited

. It's probably said on here two or three times a day, but , maybe model underestimating the strength/density of the cold air? But per that run, it barely noses into upstate SC

If it were to verify like the 12Z Euro with a 1045 high centered over S Quebec, then I'd be thinking a much higher threat as far west as Ga than what the gfs shows. However, for NC the GFS's 1030ish high is enough for major ZR in this case. Some stats: about 45%/20% of winters have one or more major ZR's somewhere in Carolinas/Atlanta area. Of course, the Atlanta area is a much smaller area than the Carolinas...duh. So, the Carolina stats will naturally be higher just because of that. However, it is still easier to have major ZR in any one spot in W NC than in any one spot in upstate SC or in any one spot in the N half of GA, which is intuitive.

The GGEM is pretty phenomenal here.  Heavy snow at the onset (0.3-0.4" QPF) followed by an amazing amount of sleet (0.8-1.0" QPF) and a sizable chunk of ZR (0.4-0.5" QPF) (though most of the ZR is further south).  Sign me up!!!!!!!!!!!!

The run is kind of reminiscent of December 2002, except much, much more extreme with the sleet.

The GGEM looks further south in general as very little precipitation gets further north than Charlottesville, VA.

The GGEM is pretty phenomenal here.  Heavy snow at the onset (0.3-0.4" QPF) followed by an amazing amount of sleet (0.8-1.0" QPF) and a sizable chunk of ZR (0.4-0.5" QPF) (though most of the ZR is further south).  Sign me up!!!!!!!!!!!!

The run is kind of reminiscent of December 2002, except much, much more extreme with the sleet.

Bro, the GGEM is lining up with what the GFS showed for the Midlands a couple days ago when I was flipping about a major ZR here... just slowly.  I do NOT want this.  I had just started feeling better seeing the GFS take it all away from us in SC.

So what does everyone think?  I've read that the Euro (previous runs) had something like the Canadian is trying to show now..?  Maybe even underdoing it?  Is the GFS too weak with this deal or?

I still would think we can't get cold enough down this way.

I just can't believe that run of the GGEM.  I'm not sure if the Meteocentre maps are necessarily accurate, but if they are I've never seen a model run show such a huge ice storm in the Southeastern US.  It would be absolutely devastating for many, many areas.  I'm going to post them for safe-keeping.  We may never see a run like that again.

Snow:

SN_120-240_0000_zps38b91a7e.gif

Sleet (Ice Pellets):

PE_120-240_0000_zps882b7eb9.gif

Freezing Rain:

ZR_120-240_0000_zpsa0313235.gif

Yes, that's ~1.5" of ZR in SW MS and NE LA.

The GGEM is probably out to lunch, but still.  I just don't see the ZR getting that far south.  Does the GGEM have a bias towards colder surface temperatures or anything?

The CMC seems to have some cold bias with SE winter storms and it just isn't as accurate as the GFS or Euro. If I had a nickel for every time it had a major winter storm at Atlanta, well.....in other words take with humongous grain and go with GFS/Euro. It isn't as bad as the DGEX, but still it isn't too good. It is mainly good for entertainment and shows the absolute worst case scenario in many cases......very low % chance to verify imo.

Meanwhile, the 0Z Euro still has a sig. WNC ZR 12/8, possibly just getting into part of upstate SC.

Larry, when you say WNC, are you talking about the typical CAD alley regions, such as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Hickory, etc.?

Thanks for the input about the GGEM, BTW.  I don't typically look at it too much, but I was taken aback by that ridiculous run.

Larry, when you say WNC, are you talking about the typical CAD alley regions, such as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Hickory, etc.?

Thanks for the input about the GGEM, BTW.  I don't typically look at it too much, but I was taken aback by that ridiculous run.

Yes, in typical NC CAD areas as well as to the fringe region near RDU/BRICK! Hopefully he is sleeping. Shhhh, nobody tell or he won't be able to sleep due to excitement.

Yes, in typical NC CAD areas as well as to the fringe region near RDU/BRICK! Hopefully he is sleeping. Shhhh, nobody tell or he won't be able to sleep due to excitement.

Thank you. :)

IIRC, the Euro has a warm bias at the surface in CAD situations, though?  Of course, we're pretty far out still, so it's probably useless to get too detailed over just a few degrees at this point. :D

Thank you. :)

IIRC, the Euro has a warm bias at the surface in CAD situations, though?  Of course, we're pretty far out still, so it's probably useless to get too detailed over just a few degrees at this point. :D

You're welcome. Yes, it does imo based on my experience in following it. However, the GFS doesn't really and it mainly just gets W NC. 

0z Euro pretty cold from ZR storm through most days til day 10.

I've seen ice lay up like that from Texas, Ark, n Miss, n Ala, Tenn, NC,  and never get over the mtns.  The apps in Ala blocked the thick cold up against the nw flank and it never made it into Rome, Ga.  They've had periods of sleet, and zrain for over a week from above Huntspatch all the way back to Texas, while we had occasional rain.  That is one that haunts me :)

Archived