Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone remember an old story from ne.weather that I am looking for? It went something like:

Dec 5....snow is forecasted, first snowday in sight. Yay!

Dec 14....another storm forecasted to affect the area....another snowday hurray! A

Dec 24....looks like a white christmas this year....what a beautiful winter so far.

Dec 27...not more snow....wow.

January 6....more snow coming....this is starting to become a theme.

Needless to say, by the end they are tired of the snow and shoveling out every 7 days lol. Anyone recall this or know where I can find it? Reminds me of this winter....I'm getting tired of shoveling!

Worcester, PA - Got down to 8 degrees last night.  19 degrees now.

Almost all my pine tree lower limbs are weighted down and froze to the ground. If the snow doesn't get off by the start of tonight's event we will be out of power. I don't think it will matter if it is snow or fz. I lost several limbs yesterday with the 8.5 inches we got.

I guess sleet would be the best in regards to weight and sticking to the tree limbs. If we can get full sun for a while that should help to melt some. Already have high thin clouds. Maybe they will burn off?? Going to get gas for the generator for sure. Quite a week with more to come.

So I noticed yesterday while shoveling, that blue tint down in the crevices between chunks of snow. A long time ago I read an explanation for it but I don't recall what it is. Anyone else observe this yesterday?

attachicon.gifsnow-with-blue.jpg

Cool look...

It has to do with the high water content and the refraction of the light waves...

Google it

Any bamboo experts here? This is the first winter for us here with real winter weather. I know bamboo grows like weeds, and we're managing that, but we do like it. So much of it got bent over yesterday (and we heard a few breaking), and tonight may take a bigger toll. The optimist in me wants to believe whatever isn't broken will stand back up but I doubt it. Some of it's 35 to 40 ft. tall. The green in the foreground touching the ground is bamboo bent all the way down.  Anyone with experience in this area? Thanks!

post-9898-0-71503600-1391569014_thumb.jp

Any bamboo experts here? This is the first winter for us here with real winter weather. I know bamboo grows like weeds, and we're managing that, but we do like it. So much of it got bent over yesterday (and we heard a few breaking), and tonight may take a bigger toll. The optimist in me wants to believe whatever isn't broken will stand back up but I doubt it. Some of it's 35 to 40 ft. tall. The green in the foreground touching the ground is bamboo bent all the way down.  Anyone with experience in this area? Thanks!

attachicon.gifbamboo-2-04-14.jpg

Bamboo is a grass.  It doesn't grow like trees or bushes.  Every single individual stalk grew to its full height in a single year.  So, if you have to remove some, then you have to remove some, but it'll fill back in.

attachicon.gifbamboo-2-04-14.jpg

Not a bamboo-expert/novice but I will say that that IS a heck of a snow pile you've amassed :)

Thanks, I was going to but thought I'd make conversation while we're waiting for precipitation :unsure:. I'll google and report on my findings.

Yea, sorry I was just a bit lazy to take the minute or two to google it.

Let's hear what you find..it is a light refraction thing (as I suppose all perception of color is)?!

Archived