• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

Still though I think the ridging up there will help to keep it seasonal here and warmer further south

It's not a bad point, actually...  When I originally brought up the other teles I did also mention that buckling flow in Canada can wedge cooler air masses into our latitudes, and that those scenarios won't really be known at this sort of time lead.  

I think the EPO domain is as tricky to model as the NAO.  ...often demonstrating phase changes sometimes less than a week in length.  One run of the GFS has no block up there; the next, a +2 SD node.  We have already had an episode or two of higher heights there, so perhaps we are establishing seasonal trend. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word!   I'd take a wind-swept soaking rain at this point.  It's like that Star Trek Next Generation episode where they can't dream ... so they start going insane.  

I was wrong actually. I thought November was going to be a winter month this time, but I'm finding it harder and harder to see it that way with this:

attachicon.gifwarm.jpg

I haven't honestly seen the EPO dailies as of late, but it "looks" like the operationals are dismantling heights up there.  Then, the 18z GFS brings it right back in the goo-goo-ga-ga range.  I'm not sure that wild card is being entirely handled correctly with all these continuity shifts.

Teleconnections seem to indicate a warm period for sure, one item I have seen is the increased Ens teleconnection CPC indices showing a tendency towards dropping values of AO NAO as mid month approaches, perhaps an early indication of a phase flip. You are correct all these point to warmth, including the MJO phase 1 .

Teleconnections seem to indicate a warm period for sure, one item I have seen is the increased Ens teleconnection CPC indices showing a tendency towards dropping values of AO NAO as mid month approaches, perhaps an early indication of a phase flip. You are correct all these point to warmth, including the MJO phase 1 .

Yeah... if last 15 days of Novie go winter, we win!   ha. 

I think my dream year  1995 was Novie 15 onward. 

Anyway, I didn't honestly see all these tele's going warm like this, though.  I have been out of it for 3 days and I'm going where in the hell is this coming from.  

Yeah... if last 15 days of Novie go winter, we win!   ha. 

I think my dream year  1995 was Novie 15 onward. 

Anyway, I didn't honestly see all these tele's going warm like this, though.  I have been out of it for 3 days and I'm going where in the hell is this coming from.

Models have really been all over the place with 5 H features since the typhoons, probably settling down as stability happens.

I'm seeing signs of a bigtime gradient pattern developing.  Here is the GEFS for example but it drives the point home. Notice the Aleutian ridge here and troughing in the west along with SE ridge. Also MJO will try to move into the IO..more support for that pattern. To me, this means we certainly will ride the line and are prone to big swings in temps including torches. Too early to say where we end up. More importantly, lets hope the ridge stays put because if heights lower near AK, we will furnace.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

You can see best chance is north. Notice the system weakens as it traverses through. Lift weakens.

I could see some -SN obs tomorrow morning out of a GFL-RUT-VSF-CON axis as that slides through. Best chance is certainly south of me through CNE...good timing to maybe whiten the ground in a few spots in the early morning.

I'm seeing signs of a bigtime gradient pattern developing.  Here is the GEFS for example but it drives the point home. Notice the Aleutian ridge here and troughing in the west along with SE ridge. Also MJO will try to move into the IO..more support for that pattern. To me, this means we certainly will ride the line and are prone to big swings in temps including torches. Too early to say where we end up. More importantly, lets hope the ridge stays put because if heights lower near AK, we will furnace.

attachicon.giff312.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

Too bad it isn't about 4 weeks later. That would be a good pattern for wintry threats here around and after Thanksgiving.

Don't you love when there's still hard frost in the shade at noon? Some areas will never "melt" today...a sign of the sun angle and season we are about to enter. Long shadows all day.

This is a pretty darn cold airmass...that sprawling high coming in from the Canadian Praries with some snow cover support in Ontario and Quebec...the low level cold in this is probably a bit better than the 850 temps would indicate...plus the lower mixing when you have that light northerly flow.  

This is a pretty darn cold airmass...that sprawling high coming in from the Canadian Praries with some snow cover support in Ontario and Quebec...the low level cold in this is probably a bit better than the 850 temps would indicate...plus the lower mixing when you have that light northerly flow.  

Yeah this one over-performed in the low levels... MPV beat their old record by 5F.

36F here at midday is pretty nice for October 29th... very similar to the 2011 airmass up here.

The view from the West Slope... Mansfield glowing in the sun.

Like mid-winter day at the ski resort.  This stuff is going to melt incredibly fast on Thurs/Friday, lol.

lol....BOS had 96.3.

I still find that hard to believe...given that whole pattern. I mean, I'd expect BOS to do well in that gradient pattern, but not get nearly 100" of snow. It was so cold though. I recall many events that were supposed to have a lot of sleet taint that ended up being mostly snow...or events that were supposed to flip quickly that took much longer to.

there is a sneaky little "snow in the air" type signal ...now, D5 on the operational GFS, but it has been in the cycles now for days.  Very consistent.  It would be almost a "norlundy" lag back in the sfc pp, as a naked trough amplifies in the OV and shoots a jet streak near-by overhead.  Thing is, ...the wave at 72 hours sort of explodes the baroclinicity seaward, leaving this trough with not much to work with.  Just sayin' ...but the wind dynamics aloft are encouraging a weak surface trough signal, and there is light QPF dappled about the region as thickness are passing from marginal to critical. 

Yeah, NCEP picked upon on it in there PMD ... "IN THE CORE OF TRAILING COLD AIR EXPECT

AN AREA OF RAIN S AND SNOW N/NW ACROSS THE GRTLKS INTO THE
NORTHEAST...
"    

Seems nutty to even mention considering it may pop 70F on Friday *MEX 

Archived