joxey
2013-14 Lakes/Ohio Valley Forum Snowfall Contest

Chicago Storm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMH 'unders' in a bit of trouble.

We had the highest 'under' percentage and here we sit at 60% only half way thru Dec.  I would bet IND isn't that far off either.     Ironic if the city with the most 'unders' hits their seasonal snowfall amount first.

p.s. full disclosure I would have put CMH under as well.   

CMH 'unders' in a bit of trouble.

We had the highest 'under' percentage and here we sit at 60% only half way thru Dec.  I would bet IND isn't that far off either.     Ironic if the city with the most 'unders' hits their seasonal snowfall amount first.

p.s. full disclosure I would have put CMH under as well.   

IND is at 7.9" for the season, which puts them at 31% of normal NDJFM snowfall. Last storm was kind of a bust for them.

The Kentucky sites are doing well like CMH.

Louisville (SDF) is at 5.8", or 47% of normal snowfall.

Paducah (PAH) is at 5.2", or 58% of normal snowfall.

IND is at 7.9" for the season, which puts them at 31% of normal NDJFM snowfall. Last storm was kind of a bust for them.

The Kentucky sites are doing well like CMH.

Louisville (SDF) is at 5.8", or 47% of normal snowfall.

Paducah (PAH) is at 5.2", or 58% of normal snowfall.

Surprised about IND, but not so much about the southern flanks.  Wasn't aware that yesterdays was a bust for IND, although that warm air really bullied it's way north.   If I was to see CMH's numbers without knowledge of the season so far, I would assume it was one biggie that skewed the number...ie 1950.   Amazingly it's been consistent small to mod events.   

Surprised about IND, but not so much about the southern flanks.  Wasn't aware that yesterdays was a bust for IND, although that warm air really bullied it's way north.   If I was to see CMH's numbers without knowledge of the season so far, I would assume it was one biggie that skewed the number...ie 1950.   Amazingly it's been consistent small to mod events.   

Just 2.6" at IND with the last storm. They even flipped to rain for a time. And they were on the northern fringes of the Dec 5-6 storm, though still got 4.5" from that one.

Yeah, you guys in OH have done really well so far. Like you said, and not from just one big event. Very cool for early in the season. Glad to see it. :)

With the 7.7" today at DTW that puts us at 9.0" on the month, which is .8" away from the over for tiebreaker 1. I think I can definitively say that the over is a winner there. Stupid me going under for that one.

Make that 9.7" on the month as of 4PM today, it is safe to say the Over is a bingo for tiebreaker 1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a look at the contest sites and this is what I found (snowfalls from Nov 1 to last known daily total) with a commentary about likely outcomes: (colour codes will probably be fairly obvious)

Alpena MI (APN): 76.8"   34.5" so far ... not quite 50% of normal ... one of the less likely "overs"
Chicago IL (ORD): 35.2" 35.1" so far ... can't miss being OVER
Cleveland OH (CLE): 64.6" 33.1" so far ... odds are maybe about 50-50 given the 16-day guidance
Columbus OH (CMH): 26.2" 22.3" so far ... very likely to finish OVER
Detroit MI (DTW): 40.9" 39.2" so far ... can't miss being OVER

Dubuque IA (DBQ): 39.9" 24.1" so far ... odds seem pretty close to 50-50
Fort Wayne IN (FWA): 32.2" 28.4" so far ... heading OVER
Green Bay WI (GRB): 48.1" 35.1" so far ... betting this will be OVER before end of JAN
Indianapolis IN (IND): 25.3" 27.1" so far ... OVER already
La Crosse WI (LSE): 41.4" 21.1" so far ... struggling and could stay UNDER
Louisville KY (SDF): 12.3" 6.3" so far ... will require maybe one or two events to get OVER
Marquette MI (MQT): 181.2" 78.4" so far ... never say never for this site, but 43% to date? tough call
Milwaukee WI (MKE): 44.5" 31.2" so far ... seems to be on track to edge OVER but not a done deal
Muskegon MI (MKG): 91.2" 63.4" so far ... probably heading OVER looking at the model output
Paducah KY (PAH): 9.0" 6.3" so far ... Not much to ask, is it? But a subtropical location near sea level is a challenge
St. Louis MO (STL): 17.3" 20.5" so far ... OVER already
Springfield IL (SPI): 20.6" 22.5" so far ... OVER already
Toronto ON (YYZ): 43.0" I will edit this if somebody knows the exact number, 15" ??? chances meh

I think the current odds considering the model output would say all but 3-4 will likely finish OVER and just about all of them could, although Toronto will need an attitude adjustment and Alpena is on life support at the wrong end of the lake effect climo signal.

Had a look at the contest sites and this is what I found (snowfalls from Nov 1 to last known daily total) with a commentary about likely outcomes: (colour codes will probably be fairly obvious)

Alpena MI (APN): 76.8"   34.5" so far ... not quite 50% of normal ... one of the less likely "overs"

Cleveland OH (CLE): 64.6" 33.1" so far ... odds are maybe about 50-50 given the 16-day guidance

Green Bay WI (GRB): 48.1" 35.1" so far ... betting this will be OVER before end of JAN

Louisville KY (SDF): 12.3" 6.3" so far ... will require maybe one or two events to get OVER

Marquette MI (MQT): 181.2" 78.4" so far ... never say never for this site, but 43% to date? tough call

Milwaukee WI (MKE): 44.5" 31.2" so far ... seems to be on track to edge OVER but not a done deal

Muskegon MI (MKG): 91.2" 63.4" so far ... probably heading OVER looking at the model output

Paducah KY (PAH): 9.0" 6.3" so far ... Not much to ask, is it? But a subtropical location near sea level

Toronto ON (YYZ): 43.0" I will edit this if somebody knows the exact number, 15" ??? chances meh

I think the current odds considering the model output would say all but 3-4 will likely finish OVER and just about all of them could, although Toronto will need an attitude adjustment and Alpena is on life support at the wrong end of the lake effect climo signal.

Excellent first half of winter for many!

Paducah KY (PAH): 9.0" 6.3" so far ... Not much to ask, is it? But a subtropical location near sea level

YYZ = 19.8". Chances are meh. The rest of January is a writeoff but February has tended to be our snowiest month the last several years. 2'+ in February 2013. There's a chance but less than 50/50 for sure.

YYZ = 19.8". Chances are meh. The rest of January is a writeoff but February has tended to be our snowiest month the last several years. 2'+ in February 2013. There's a chance but less than 50/50 for sure.

We"ll probably end the month off with around 10" at YYZ and plus the 34.1cm from Nov/Dec. We've missed out on many storms this season but that seems to be a reoccurring theme in the GTA. -_-. Hopefully February and March provide. Would be nice to get a April Blizzard as its been a while since we've seen that.

We"ll probably end the month off with around 10" at YYZ and plus the 34.1cm from Nov/Dec. We've missed out on many storms this season but that seems to be a reoccurring theme in the GTA. -_-. Hopefully February and March provide. Would be nice to get a April Blizzard as its been a while since we've seen that.

No thank you! Once we change the clocks again I'm ready for summer.

The seasons according to me:

November to February: PLEASE SNOW

March to June: PLEASE BE WARM

July and August: PLEASE BE STORMY

September and October: PLEASE BE SUNNY

Update through Jan 27 ...

Alpena MI (APN): 76.8" 41.5" so far ... not quite 55% of normal ... one of the less likely "overs"
Chicago IL (ORD): 48.2" so far ... OVER already
Cleveland OH (CLE): 64.6" 44.6" so far ... odds are still about 50-50 given the 16-day guidance
Columbus OH (CMH): 26.2" 35.0" so far ... OVER already
Detroit MI (DTW): 40.9" 55.0" so far ... OVER already

Dubuque IA (DBQ): 39.9" 35.3" so far ... looks to be heading OVER 

Fort Wayne IN (FWA): 32.2" 40.5" so far ... OVER already

Green Bay WI (GRB): 48.1" 42.0" so far ... now betting this will be OVER before Feb 7th
Indianapolis IN (IND): 25.3" 35.6" so far ... OVER already
La Crosse WI (LSE): 41.4" 27.7" so far ... still struggling and could stay UNDER, 50-50 at this point?
Louisville KY (SDF): 12.3" 14.3" so far ... OVER already

Marquette MI (MQT): 181.2" 101.3" so far ... still touch and go running a bit behind 
Milwaukee WI (MKE): 44.5" 40.6" so far ... seems very likely now to reach OVER 
Muskegon MI (MKG): 91.2" 85.0" so far ... probably heading OVER
Paducah KY (PAH): 9.0" 6.3" so far ... nothing new since last update

St. Louis MO (STL): 17.3" 21.4" so far ... OVER already
Springfield IL (SPI): 20.6" 24.8" so far ... OVER already
Toronto ON (YYZ): 43.0" The current number is 25.9" and chances remain uncertain, hopeful.

Five new "OVERS" confirmed for a total of 8. Several more about to reach "OVER" status. Alpena, La Crosse, Paducah and Cleveland are the remaining credible UNDER candidates, any one of them could eventually end up OVER.

Update through Jan 27 ...

Alpena MI (APN): 76.8" 41.5" so far ... not quite 55% of normal ... one of the less likely "overs"

Chicago IL (ORD): 48.2" so far ... OVER already

Cleveland OH (CLE): 64.6" 44.6" so far ... odds are still about 50-50 given the 16-day guidance

Columbus OH (CMH): 26.2" 35.0" so far ... OVER already

Detroit MI (DTW): 40.9" 55.0" so far ... OVER already

Dubuque IA (DBQ): 39.9" 35.3" so far ... looks to be heading OVER 

Fort Wayne IN (FWA): 32.2" 40.5" so far ... OVER already

Green Bay WI (GRB): 48.1" 42.0" so far ... now betting this will be OVER before Feb 7th

Indianapolis IN (IND): 25.3" 35.6" so far ... OVER already

La Crosse WI (LSE): 41.4" 27.7" so far ... still struggling and could stay UNDER, 50-50 at this point?

Marquette MI (MQT): 181.2" 101.3" so far ... still touch and go running a bit behind 

Milwaukee WI (MKE): 44.5" 40.6" so far ... seems very likely now to reach OVER 

Muskegon MI (MKG): 91.2" 85.0" so far ... probably heading OVER

Springfield IL (SPI): 20.6" 24.8" so far ... OVER already

Toronto ON (YYZ): 43.0" The current number is about 24" and chances remain uncertain, hopeful.

Five new "OVERS" confirmed for a total of 8. Several more about to reach "OVER" status. Alpena, La Crosse, Paducah and Cleveland are the remaining credible UNDER candidates, any one of them could eventually end up OVER.

YYZ = 25.9" with nipher controversy as always.

Update through Feb 1st ...

Alpena MI (APN): 76.8" 45.1" so far ... now up to 60% of normal ... will be a struggle to get OVER
Chicago IL (ORD): 35.2" 52.6" so far ... OVER already
Cleveland OH (CLE): 64.6" 46.0" so far ... by no means a done deal for OVER
Columbus OH (CMH): 26.2" 35.1" so far ... OVER already
Detroit MI (DTW): 40.9" 59.9" so far ... OVER already

Dubuque IA (DBQ): 39.9" 38.4" so far ... next event probably puts it OVER

Fort Wayne IN (FWA): 32.2" 41.4" so far ... OVER already

Green Bay WI (GRB): 48.1" 44.9" so far ... still betting this will be OVER before Feb 7th or soon after
Indianapolis IN (IND): 25.3" 35.8" so far ... OVER already
La Crosse WI (LSE): 41.4" 29.4" so far ... still struggling and could stay UNDER, 50-50 at this point?

Marquette MI (MQT): 181.2" 105.2" so far ... still touch and go running a bit behind
Milwaukee WI (MKE): 44.5" 43.3" so far ... just 1.3" away from reaching OVER
Muskegon MI (MKG): 91.2" 98.9" so far ... OVER already

Springfield IL (SPI): 20.6" 27.4" so far ... OVER already
Toronto ON (YYZ): 43.0" The current number is 30.4" and chances looking rather good now.

Now at 9 OVER, with at least three likely to join in the next week to ten days.

I won't update the whole list above, but the following are new "OVERS"

Dubuque IA now at 40.1"

Milwaukee WI now at 45.7"

Paducah KY now at 12.5" (after doubling down on Groundhog Day)

--------------

meanwhile Green Bay stuck at 44.9" through yesterday, Toronto made up over half of what's required to reach normal despite Nipher problems. These two are almost certain to reach "OVER" status which would make 14.

That leaves Alpena, Marquette, Cleveland and La Crosse in the undecided column.

• 2 weeks later...

That leaves Alpena, Marquette, Cleveland and La Crosse in the undecided column.

I'm betting CLE will squeak by sometime in mid March. But it would be kind of neat if we end up 'under' for the contest, but get a big April snow to push us over in the seasonal total.

CLE, LSE and YYZ all very close now, CLE has steadily built up to almost 62 inches, LSE added 4 yesterday to reach 38 and YYZ must be closing in on their normal of 43 (was at 38 before this 2-5 inch storm began).  Will confirm when these three have made "OVER" officially, will make it 16/18 with Alpena (50.6" needing 26.2) and Marquette (117.8" needing 64.4") the long shots.

CLE, LSE and YYZ all very close now, CLE has steadily built up to almost 62 inches, LSE added 4 yesterday to reach 38 and YYZ must be closing in on their normal of 43 (was at 38 before this 2-5 inch storm began).  Will confirm when these three have made "OVER" officially, will make it 16/18 with Alpena (50.6" needing 26.2) and Marquette (117.8" needing 64.4") the long shots.

CLE is now over for the year with 64.7".

LSE only managed 1.5" snow from the deep low and are stuck at 38.7" (2.7" to go), and thanks to SSC I see that YYZ is at 41.5" which is a mere 1.5" to go. Think these two are 99% likely to reach the OVER status. Alpena and Marquette are plodding along with about 4" added to my last reports, not on any sort of credible pace to reach OVER. So we are at 14/18 waiting a few days to reach 16. After that it may be pretty much a done deal.

Archived