• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

Has it flipped/turned to snow in the hawley area yet?

The radar says yes, but I can't find any obs station near there reporting just snow. Monticello Airport in Sullivan county says overcast skies actually, but something seems off there. Scranton is reporting snow right now. Even Mt. Pocono at the 1,900 foot obs station is still reporting freezing rain, very interesting.

It seems like we have some frequent visitors of Pike county in here, do you guys have summer homes/weekend homes up here? Family up here?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The radar says yes, but I can't find any obs station near there reporting just snow. Monticello Airport in Sullivan county says overcast skies actually, but something seems off there. Scranton is reporting snow right now. Even Mt. Pocono at the 1,900 foot obs station is still reporting freezing rain, very interesting.

I'm shocked there is a few of you in here that visit Pike county, do you guys have summer homes/weekend homes up here? Family up here?

Monticello obs site doesn't observe precip.. 

Not a problem! Ohh yes, within a span of roughly 10-12 miles, elevations can go from as low as 400-500 feet along the Delaware river/Milford area, to as high as 1,500-1,600 feet heading north up 739. It's an awesome site during elevation snowstorms! You have some very nice ridges in Hemlock Farms, they get their fair shair of snow. Would not be surprised if they manage a low 60's seasonal average. Typically whenever I get snow, I know they easily have a few more inches than me. If you want to see some real beautiful elevations, head sw of Lake Wallenpaupack near Promise Land state park area, there is quite a few 1,800 to 2,100 foot ridge lines. Have you ever been to High Knob right off of 402 near Pecks Pond? If not, check it out next time on a clear day. When you leave the backside of Hemlock Farms, hang a left and go north on 402, you'll see a sign for it on the left. To the top of the ridge it's 2,050 feet. On a clear day, it's been said you can see the high peaks of the Catskills!

Great info for me.  I have had a weekend home in Sussex County since the late 90's and my lady friend has been in Pike county since around 2000.  Elevation snow is awesome and it seems like March/April around here  is the peak time for it.    I have been on  route 402 near Pecks Pond many times and never noticed the elevation since it is subtle.  I have been around Promised Land a few times and it is beautiful there and there is a resort near there with really high elevations so I'm sure that is where you are talking about.  You should have some nice snow/ice on Sunday night - good luck!

It seems like we have some frequent visitors of Pike county in here, do you guys have summer homes/weekend homes up here? Family up here?

I have a place on the north side of Wallenpaupak. Will be heading up there in the morning. Techincally in southern Wayne county. I've hiked many miles in Delaware State Forest and Promised Land. Absolutely beautiful.

The years I've been living up here I've never seen it record precip

You are 100% correct.  I have a friend who leaves near White Lake/ Bethel off 17B near  Monticello and it  does not report precipitation.  A really cold snow zone in that area though.  Routes, 17, 17b, 55 and 42 have some awesome snow squalls in the winter.

Great info for me.  I have had a weekend home in Sussex County since the late 90's and my lady friend has been in Pike county since around 2000.  Elevation snow is awesome and it seems like March/April around here  is the peak time for it.    I have been on  route 402 near Pecks Pond many times and never noticed the elevation since it is subtle.  I have been around Promised Land a few times and it is beautiful there and there is a resort near there with really high elevations so I'm sure that is where you are talking about.  You should have some nice snow/ice on Sunday night - good luck!

I moved up here in 1998, I should of moved a bit further west though. I would love to look into a place near Promise Land someday, but that would add easily 40 more minutes to the commute. Beautiful area, especially if you like high elevations and snow, not so beautiful for work haha. The location I am referring to on 402 is quite easy to miss, it is literately a very small brown sign, with yellow lettering. It has a arrow pointing left and says High Knob lol. It's a gravel road and it's a y.  If you blink, you would miss it. If I can make it any easier to understand, it's on the left right past that bbq place/fishing/boating place on pecks pond. There is a sharp curve directly after that building, and approximately 2 miles or so on the left would be High Knob.

I'm not too impressed with Sunday night/Mon, but we shall see!

I have a place on the north side of Wallenpaupak. Will be heading up there in the morning. Techincally in southern Wayne county. I've hiked many miles in Delaware State Forest and Promised Land. Absolutely beautiful.

Lake Wallenpaupack is Beautiful indeed, some nice 1,200 to 1,500 elevations encompassing the lake as well.

Lake Wallenpaupack is Beautiful indeed, some nice 1,200 to 1,500 elevations encompassing the lake as well.

My best guess based on different maps of the area is my house is close to around 1500. There have been a few winters where once the snow falls in December, the ground isn't seen until spring. A big contrast to west-central NJ where I live. 

I moved up here in 1998, I should of moved a bit further west though. I would love to look into a place near Promise Land someday, but that would add easily 40 more minutes to the commute. Beautiful area, especially if you like high elevations and snow, not so beautiful for work haha. The location I am referring to on 402 is quite easy to miss, it is literately a very small brown sign, with yellow lettering. It has a arrow pointing left and says High Knob lol. It's a gravel road and it's a y.  If you blink, you would miss it. If I can make it any easier to understand, it's on the left right past that bbq place/fishing/boating place on pecks pond. There is a sharp curve directly after that building, and approximately 2 miles or so on the left would be High Knob.

I'm not too impressed with Sunday night/Mon, but we shall see!

I think your area is beautiful and I wouldn't want to go to much further west or you will miss most of the Noreasters.  I still have a coop in Queens because i work here  and I tried the commute for one year but is was too tough in the winter for me.  I will check out high knob later this month.

My best guess based on different maps of the area is my house is close to around 1500. There have been a few winters where once the snow falls in December, the ground isn't seen until spring. A big contrast to west-central NJ where I live. 

By far. I'm roughly 30 min southeast of Lake Wallenpaupack. In the 16 years i've lived here, I remember one season snow on the ground from Nov through April. The 90's were the Poconos Golden era, quite a few seasons that decade that this area got blasted. It has been quite a few years since we've seen a good season. My area has barely been squeeking by to reach avg, mainly from nickle and dime events too. I hope this season turns out nice.

I think your area is beautiful and I wouldn't want to go to much further west or you will miss most of the Noreasters.  I still have a coop in Queens because i work here  and I tried the commute for one year but is was too tough in the winter for me.  I will check out high knob later this month.

That's where the trade off is lol. If I moved further west and closer to the 2,000 foot elevations, i'd cash in greater on elevation storms. But at the same token, they can easily be too far west with Nor'easters. Hell even my location the past few years has been.

no it will be the lack of precip after the changeover. changeover times are not to far off from nws forecasts

I think you are misinterpreting what I said, or was trying to make sense in saying lol. Being I remained sleet for 2 hrs during the transition period, that was 2 hours worth of accumulating snow that was lost. The thermal profiles never dropped s.e quick enough for a quick changeover. I was already at freezing since 7 pm at the surface, and as soon as it did snow, it stuck immediately. So had it changed over much quicker, I surely would have received a lot more than what I did receive. Areas just to my west that changed over 2 hrs earlier, did receive upwards of 2.0 inches tonight, because they had a good 4 hrs worth of moderate to heavy snowfall to work with. But yes, this was modelled fairly well, and for the past few days I've been going back and forth and on the cusp of getting virtually nothing, or a couple of inches. But yes, the precip did out run the thermal profiles becoming cold enough for all snow here. It seemed to have hit a brick wall in the western half of my county extending up into the Hudson Valley. Regardless, I ended up with roughly a half inch of sleet/snow. That is the problem with these over running events, they typically run well ahead of what is modelled. And the profile dropping s.e was just too darn slow and even that is rarely every perfectly modelled. I never did like the idea of my area recieving too much tonight, I was just too far east.

Archived