Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

those of us N/W & over 800' or so are still in the game for more than 10% frozen....

Beautiful winter style day here guys. Temps holding around 20-21 degrees, and a brisk wind. I did get a few heavier squalls last night that dropped a nice coating too.

Hard to believe the storm midweek looks 90% rain. :(.

Heheh, I thought I was posting in this thread but put this in the banter one.  >>

Today was a mixed up mess.  Some graupel overnight then snow grains a few times through the day and then around 2:15 it started snowing and changed to sleet by 2:45 and plain rain by 4 with the temp hovering just a touch below freezing.  Fortunately it hasn't iced up but driving feels sketchy and now that it's dark I would expect it to.

This was the scene earlier this afternoon, this is in front of my house. I woke up today to around an inch of snow on the ground, very nice treat. It quickly changed over to sleet then freezing rain around 3 pm. Some pretty decent icing once you were above 1,000 feet this evening. Just cracked above freezing a little while ago. Not too sure how I feel about any back end flakes tomorrow, I guess we shall see!

post-9665-0-49385200-1385527964_thumb.jp

This was the scene earlier this afternoon, this is in front of my house. I woke up today to around an inch of snow on the ground, very nice treat. It quickly changed over to sleet then freezing rain around 3 pm. Some pretty decent icing once you were above 1,000 feet this evening. Just cracked above freezing a little while ago. Not too sure how I feel about any back end flakes tomorrow, I guess we shall see!

Nice!  Had about 0.4" around 1pm before I left to work. It was still snowing at the time and sticking to most surfaces too. Got home about 30 mins ago and everything is caked in ice and driveway is slush. 

32.6F and Lgt Rain here

Guest Patrick

tomorrow night, per NWS: A slight chance of rain and snow before 2am, then a slight chance of snow between 2am and 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a low around 29. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Good evening,

The next 10 days look to be active with rain, sleet, snow and freezing rain in the forecast.

Hoping we can get around 6 inches of snow during this time period.

Most forecast indicate the following:

Event #1 - Friday - Friday night - rain to possibly a mixed bag

Event #2 - Sunday-Monday - Snow or sleet to freezing rain to possibly all rain

Event #3 - Tuesday night-Wednesday - TBD

Long term reports hint of more cold weather!

Guest Patrick

I'm with you guys.  Last year I didn't feel too much of the benefit of being "north and west..." it seemed that i just did a little bit better than the coast.  Would love to experience the storms that made me jealous throughout the 1990s....pouring rain in Clifton while watching blinding snow in Sussex....would make the move worth it for sure.

I'm with you guys.  Last year I didn't feel too much of the benefit of being "north and west..." it seemed that i just did a little bit better than the coast.  Would love to experience the storms that made me jealous throughout the 1990s....pouring rain in Clifton while watching blinding snow in Sussex....would make the move worth it for sure.

really doesnt happen as much as you think.   That will happen in elevation storms(which are few and far between) and sw events which gives u a few inches of snow but changes to sleet zr vs rain in clifton.  Clifton probably averages 30 inches a year and unless u live above 1000 ft your average is probably 40-45. not to huge of a difference.

Guest Patrick

elevation of my garage is 923'.....darn it.  just 70 more feet and it would matter =)

i get your point for sure... but my specific location does average about 20" more per season than the old spot.  I did see a difference a few times last year.. and I know with swfe the score changes drastically.

elevation of my garage is 923'.....darn it.  just 70 more feet and it would matter =)

i get your point for sure... but my specific location does average about 20" more per season than the old spot.  I did see a difference a few times last year.. and I know with swfe the score changes drastically.

lol, u would be in the 50 plus category

The Sussex co op averages about 40"...but they are the worst spot in the county for snow mainly due to low elevation...about 400'...in this area...rule of thumb is to tack on one inch of snow per average year for every 75 foot increase in altitude...you are 525' higher so you could probably tack on about 7" per year giving you an average of around 47".

Guest Patrick

yeah...not sure if i was bantering about this here or somewhere else...but the sussex coop is at about 400' and change.  the back of my property is actually at 400', the front is at 975'.  Last year there were a few instances of IP/ZR at 400, and snow at the front of my house.  awesome to see. 

The Sussex co op averages about 40"...but they are the worst spot in the county for snow mainly due to low elevation...about 400'...in this area...rule of thumb is to tack on one inch of snow per average year for every 75 foot increase in altitude...you are 525' higher so you could probably tack on about 7" per year giving you an average of around 47".

yeah...not sure if i was bantering about this here or somewhere else...but the sussex coop is at about 400' and change.  the back of my property is actually at 400', the front is at 975'.  Last year there were a few instances of IP/ZR at 400, and snow at the front of my house.  awesome to see. 

You must have a very nice, large piece of property...

Guest Patrick

You must have a very nice, large piece of property...

Surprisingly not especially... Just a few acres. Steep drop off in the backyard.....

Archived