joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
General Thunderstorm Discussion: Late June

Quincy

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird profiles on the sounding. Winds are more W-NW near 850-600mb and then back to SW above 500mb. Could be some splitting or erratic storm motions. Also, winds aloft will fan any anvil crap to the northeast and not interfere with daytime heating. Should be an interesting aftn and evening I think..although we lack shear.

Weird profiles on the sounding. Winds are more W-NW near 850-600mb and then back to SW above 500mb. Could be some splitting or erratic storm motions. Also, winds aloft will fan any anvil crap to the northeast and not interfere with daytime heating. Should be an interesting aftn and evening I think..although we lack shear.

Looks like maybe like after 3:00- 4:00 or so huh?

I think today will be fairly active with thunderstorms and it's all thanks to the big cape we will have.  While shear is certainly bot very strong, you really don't need great shear to generate t'storms.  We will have a weak impulse moving through in the mid-levels, along with weak height falls.  Cooling mid-level temperatures will allow for lapse rates to steepen and also erode the cap.  A sea-breeze boundary will also increase low-level convergence.  

With the lack of shear, I'm concerned for storm training and flash flooding today.  I think storms could drop 1-2'' of rain very quickly so flash flooding is certainly a main threat.  Given large cape and steep low-level lapse rates, do have to watch out for a wet microburst or two.   

For thunderstorms, I am like a fork in the road here, Yesterdays action missed here to the north and south, Storms typically dropping SE out of the Mtns/Foothills will miss, Storms moving up thru here from the SW will hit

Same thing here. The tip of the peninsula got rocked, but here at the house we just had a few sprinkles.

It may be one of those things when a cluster of cells form a cold pool and throws out a few segments. I'm intrigued for today despite lack of shear.

I think around here many get too fancy with these parameters and poo-poo everything that doesn't look like a severe weather outbreak.  You don't need EML-like lapse rates to generate t'storms, you don't need boat loads of shear to generate t'storms...if you're looking for widespread severe weather/outbreak possibilities then you want to see those parameters.

As for today, we're going to have a moderately unstable environment in place.  All you need is a weak impulse to move through to generate storms and that's what we will have.  The lack of shear only means storms will have trouble organizing and developing long sustaining updrafts...the lack of shear has nothing to do with the amount of storms that will pop.  

I think around here many get too fancy with these parameters and poo-poo everything that doesn't look like a severe weather outbreak.  You don't need EML-like lapse rates to generate t'storms, you don't need boat loads of shear to generate t'storms...if you're looking for widespread severe weather/outbreak possibilities then you want to see those parameters.

As for today, we're going to have a moderately unstable environment in place.  All you need is a weak impulse to move through to generate storms and that's what we will have.  The lack of shear only means storms will have trouble organizing and developing long sustaining updrafts...the lack of shear has nothing to do with the amount of storms that will pop.  

Most of the high end setups suck around here..esp eastern MA. Screaming SW winds at the surface and aloft mean congrats Upstate NY and western NE.

Archived