joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow didn't start until 4pm or so around here. Then a mix until 6pm then a sucker hole formed in the area. Snowing heavily now, but a lot of precip was wasted on mixed and dry slot... Regardless 3" still looks likely.

I had posted over in the "main thread" for this storm: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/43309-march-28-29-snow-potential/page-3

It started off here on the west side as snow. Wasn't a drop of rain at the lakeshore. I wish this storm had been a month ago but, beggars can't be choosers. While I thoroughly enjoyed 5 straight hours of heavy snow, I'm eager for some 60 and sun days.

Pretty much a non-event here. I'll call it about .2". The WWA didn't even come close to verifying. We caught the perfect screwhole here ... for about 3 hours we stayed bone dry while there was heavy precip west, south and east of us. Can't really call it a bust since I pretty much was expecting what we got but ... so close!

Nice to see the Cleveland area cashing in. I know they have missed out on some storms that caught us pretty good, so I guess it was finally their turn.

Winter wonderland out there. Everything is caked in snow. Hard to believe it's spring.

It really puts into perspective 5-6" of 7:1 ratio snow versus 5-6" of lake effect at a 30:1 ratio. There is no comparison.

Nice satellite shot there. I know it's not all that uncommon to still have some ice on Lake Erie in early April, although I'm not sure how often we still have that kind of coverage. I'm sure a little bit of it will get chipped away at tomorrow with some warmer temps, but most of it should still be intact April 1st.

Definitely a narrow swath of snow, and a bangin end to winter from the eastern lakeshore down towards Cleveland, Lorain and Mansfield. I may be home in two weeks, so if we can muster one more miracle that would definitely be nice.

The question is, does this last storm improve the perception of winter in Northern Ohio? We've had bigger storms later in the last decade (April 2-3, 2005, April 23-25, 2005, April 4-8, 2007 and April 6-7, 2009 had similar or slightly better amounts in the Snowbelt but was more spread out), however this was still pretty impressive for the very end of March. I think it's remarkable that places like Berea (7.2" total) got about 6" in 5 hours with temps hovering near 34.

Lake breeze effect in full force today. 42 for a high at BKL, yet 59 at CLE.

That storm definitely changed my perception. It seems we've struggled for the past few years to get a decent synoptic storm actually dump heavy snow for several hours straight. This was a good 5-6 hours of legit heavy snow. Had we been at 28 degrees for this storm, accums could have been closer to 10"+.

While this winter won't be remembered for any memorable big dog storms, most folks will have wound up with close to 100 inches, and well over that in the snow belts. The winter had a strong start with a heavy wet snow in October and finished strong with a heavy wet snow at the end of March and there wasn't a week in between where it didn't snow.

I'm ok with saving a 15" blizzard for a year that has a seasonal total of 40-50" at CLE. After the past two duds of a season, this winter surely felt impressive, even if we did dodge a lot of storms and bust hard on a few events.

Hopefully next winter can feature a big storm and hopefully we can see a return to some big time LES in the snowbelts. While, yes, the 271 corridor did well this year, even major les events were lacking; 3-6" fluff events were all that could be mustered with the nonstop southwest winds that only backed to the WNW for very short periods of time.

Lake breeze effect in full force today. 42 for a high at BKL, yet 59 at CLE.

That storm definitely changed my perception. It seems we've struggled for the past few years to get a decent synoptic storm actually dump heavy snow for several hours straight. This was a good 5-6 hours of legit heavy snow. Had we been at 28 degrees for this storm, accums could have been closer to 10"+.

While this winter won't be remembered for any memorable big dog storms, most folks will have wound up with close to 100 inches, and well over that in the snow belts. The winter had a strong start with a heavy wet snow in October and finished strong with a heavy wet snow at the end of March and there wasn't a week in between where it didn't snow.

I'm ok with saving a 15" blizzard for a year that has a seasonal total of 40-50" at CLE. After the past two duds of a season, this winter surely felt impressive, even if we did dodge a lot of storms and bust hard on a few events.

Hopefully next winter can feature a big storm and hopefully we can see a return to some big time LES in the snowbelts. While, yes, the 271 corridor did well this year, even major les events were lacking; 3-6" fluff events were all that could be mustered with the nonstop southwest winds that only backed to the WNW for very short periods of time.

I'd have to give this Winter a solid A... if for no other reason than persistence. It's pretty rare to have such persistent cold, frequent snows and snowcover. However, we did lack the big dog synoptic and LES snows. Regardless, I'm over 125" on the season... can't ask for much more than that.

Its really nice to finally get good weather on a weekend day. Seems like the temp has dropped a little. Avon shows 39, must be a lake breeze. Still around 50 here.

Yesterday was perfect. It was funny listening to the Indians game... Tom Hamilton said it was "frigid" at the game, while we were basking in 50+ temps south of the lake breeze. I don't miss the lake breeze at all.

Outside of those right at the shore, spring has sprung. I'm still amazed at the amount of ice left on Lake Erie up towards Buffalo. The southwesterly winds just keep pushing all the ice up there, which is probably going to take another week to fully melt out.

In a strange twist to end a pretty decent winter in NE Ohio, this April, right now, has a decent chance to be the least snowiest April on record for Cleveland. There have only been two winters before (1941 and 1925) that featured zero snow in Cleveland in April. With zero snow recorded so far, there's a possibility this year might get added to that list. Perhaps there'll be a few flakes in the air next week to at least record a T.

Scratch that last post. It had looked like that snow was going to safely miss us well to the north and west.

It now looks like Tuesday could have one last gasp for Lake Effect. Lake Erie temperatures have risen to near 40 and with 850s crashing, should be some decent instability.

While I think that there could be some LES late Tuesday into Tuesday evening, that may add up to a couple inches in the higher terrain on a NW flow, it's rather marginal. It will be unstable enough, however things dry out pretty quickly Tuesday evening and it's a short fetch...if we can get some pre-seeding from instability showers upstream then perhaps there could be nice bursts of LES Tuesday afternoon and evening.

What I think may be more interesting is the growing potential for a wave of low pressure to ride along the cold front Tuesday morning and throw potentially a nice, few hour shot of decent wintry precip west into Ohio. It's mid-April so it's hard to get excited about post-frontal "wrap around" type snows, however there could be a nice burst of accumulating snow right around the Tuesday AM commute if some of the recent models hold...there may also be a period of IP/ZR late Monday night as the colder air filters in. I guess let's see what the models today do. I was home this weekend and it was warm and dull, now it may snow two days after I go back south :P

Anybody get a chance to measure yesterday's snow? I never did.

There was a little less than 2" in Mayfield Heights. On the west side of town I had 1.2".

I think the most impressive aspect of the snow was that it didn't melt at all on Tuesday ... considering it was mid April, even on car rooftops! I was surprised to see that on Wednesday morning there were parking lots with cars covered in snow, usually snow on cars is the first to melt off, even with temps below freezing. The clouds were so thick, the solar radiation effects were minimal. 

The transition to lake effect snow afterwards meant a full 6 months of winter. The first inch of snow being from the lake effect storm in mid to late October and the last(?) inch of snow being mid April.

It's turning out to be a dry & warm April.  The soil already feels like it would in June, the mucky wet ground of April has already dried out.

I took a picture of the AWOS at Portage County Airport today just north of Ravenna (KPOV).  This picture is looking towards the south.  The trees south of the airport seem to block the wind, so it seems to under report when the prevailing winds are southerly compared to other stations in Northeast Ohio.

post-12007-0-46152300-1398125121_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised how mild April ended up being, especially considering the record Lake Erie ice cover.  You would have expected things to run well below normal considering how cold the lake was, but in the end CLE was a little over a degree above normal for April.

Just 3 nights dipped below freezing for the month, with 8 days reaching above 70. All in all, it was kind of a nice April.

Finally feels like Spring out there today... Especially after frost earlier in the week. Not sure when the average "leaf out" date is but it seems late this year as opposed to the last two years. Things should start to green up after the next few days. But right now the vast majority of trees are bare around here.

CLE issued 10 tornado warnings last night! I haven't heard of anything confirmed yet. Flash flooding was the bigger threat.

Lots of weather stations reporting 4-6" of rain from roughly Lorain and then along the turnpike.

I had 1.4", but totals quickly rose just to my south and west.

Did some poking around Facebook and some local news stations. Turns out some of these storms produced some decent wall and/or funnel clouds, and I think a couple of these photos/videos will turn into confirmed tornadoes.

Chippewa Lake, looks like a brief touchdown. Still a nice funnel cloud at the end of the video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203884689934545

This picture from North Ridgeville is floating around. Hard to tell if this was on the ground or not due to houses blocking the view.

post-525-0-13485500-1399996125_thumb.jpg

Shelf cloud pushing into Avon Lake:

post-525-0-37476500-1399996194_thumb.jpg

I believe this was near Grafton, maybe a brief tornado:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=863535003661997&set=vb.100000165153362&type=2&theater&refid=12

A lot of flooding pics in this gallery, although also a few wall clouds/funnel clouds as well:

http://www.newsnet5.com/weather/weather-photo-gallery/photos-videos-from-may-12-storm

There's a few more pics/vids posted on CLE's Facebook page by others (search US National Weather Service Cleveland, Ohio).

So, all and all a pretty interesting evening. A couple videos of possible tornadoes and several more pictures of wall and funnel clouds. I was clipped by a couple of warnings here, although the rotation stayed a few miles south...ended up with a ton of rain and a nice light show. This event was rather unexpected, although there was good low-level shear due to a warm front in the area and enough instability to make things interesting.

Archived