Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember the last time we had 100% chance POPS (for last night and today) and no rain. Appears there were a few stray light showers in the region, but most remained dry overnight and today.

I can't remember the last time we had 100% chance POPS (for last night and today) and no rain. Appears there were a few stray light showers in the region, but most remained dry overnight and today.

Yeah, I was expecting a good soaker but just a brief rain shower was all I had. The storms fired up again later last night but went east and west of the area. Ashtabula seemed to get the worst of it.

Still not at 100% leaf out IMBY. The ash and black locusts are still getting leaves. Amazing for late May.

• 2 weeks later...

Thunderstorms seemed to have went all around us the past two weeks, but the predominantly wet pattern that Ohio has been locked into the past 4 years continues to hold. The rainfall surpluses are getting out of hand. There are lots of stories of basement flooding anytime it rains and a lot of angry folks who are complaining that they've never had these problems before. I think the map below paints the picture of what's going on in Northeast Ohio and the Ohio Valley. If you take these surpluses and compound the surplus from last year and the shattered record 2 years prior, some areas must be running 80" surpluses over the past 4 years. 

post-599-0-89284900-1401541003_thumb.png

Thunderstorms seemed to have went all around us the past two weeks, but the predominantly wet pattern that Ohio has been locked into the past 4 years continues to hold. The rainfall surpluses are getting out of hand. There are lots of stories of basement flooding anytime it rains and a lot of angry folks who are complaining that they've never had these problems before. I think the map below paints the picture of what's going on in Northeast Ohio and the Ohio Valley. If you take these surpluses and compound the surplus from last year and the shattered record 2 years prior, some areas must be running 80" surpluses over the past 4 years. 

Yeah, we've been locked in a very wet pattern. Oddly enough we could use a good soaker, at least locally. It has been dry that past 2 weeks IMBY. The clay is already cracking. We go from wet to dry quickly with this type of soil.

Yeah, we've been locked in a very wet pattern. Oddly enough we could use a good soaker, at least locally. It has been dry that past 2 weeks IMBY. The clay is already cracking. We go from wet to dry quickly with this type of soil.

The last 3 weeks now have been pretty dry. While there was decent long duration rain yesterday, it didn't amount to more than few tenths east and north of Cleveland.

I've probably had less than .75" for the past 3 weeks.

CLE has posted the winter total snowfall for this past winter. Totals were generally above normal across the board, although it can probably be said that when talking percentage of normal, the primary Snowbelt wasn't as impressively snowy as most of the rest of the state. The record snowy winter that occurred across NW Ohio is very obvious on this map.

post-525-0-25429600-1402159966_thumb.png

The individual totals that went into this map are listed in this article:

http://www.weather.gov/cle/Climate_Winter_2013-14_Review

Very pleasant start to June. CLE will have made an 11 day run at sub 80 temps and mostly sunny skies. The past 4 weeks have also only featured roughly an inch of rain. This is probably the most ideal stretch of weather you could possibly have here for outdoor activities.

Nice to feel the heat and humidity... actually feels like Summer. Hopefully we can hop on the MCS train this week. It has cleared out nicely so perhaps we'll see a line develop to the west and push in later today. We certainly could use the rain.

Thanks for the winter link above Ohweather. Lines up nicely with what an amateur like myself recorded (126").

Seems like we have been missing out on the good rains lately when there's been a decent chance forecasted. Hopefully the rest of the week changes that. It is finally feeling like summer with the humidity. I have noticed on hot days, it seems to be a few degrees cooler here vs Solon. Must be the more rural nature here vs concrete and infrastructure towards the city.

Thanks for the winter link above Ohweather. Lines up nicely with what an amateur like myself recorded (126").

Seems like we have been missing out on the good rains lately when there's been a decent chance forecasted. Hopefully the rest of the week changes that. It is finally feeling like summer with the humidity. I have noticed on hot days, it seems to be a few degrees cooler here vs Solon. Must be the more rural nature here vs concrete and infrastructure towards the city.

Yeah, the rain has gone out of its way to miss this area. Even last night the heaviest rains fell south and northeast of here. Picked up just over .30 though. Hopefully we can get a line to push through later today. Clouds are clearing out.

There have been so many times the past 35-40 days with 80%+ chance pops and not a drop. Even last night, the storms missed the west side; CLE with measly inch of rain since Mid May. Meanwhile CAK has had over 6" of rain just for June already.

Hit or miss thunderstorm season around here.

There have been so many times the past 35-40 days with 80%+ chance pops and not a drop. Even last night, the storms missed the west side; CLE with measly inch of rain since Mid May. Meanwhile CAK has had over 6" of rain just for June already.

Hit or miss thunderstorm season around here.

Wow. I didn't realize CAK had that much rain. I like the looks of the line out west... could make for an interest afternoon it can maintain.

CLE has confirmed that an EF1 or EF2 tornado occurred in Brunswick a bit past 7:00PM. They will complete the survey in the morning. This is interesting, because I'm not sure if the tornado was supercellular or not. The wind fields were very meager with less than 20 knots of effective bulk shear per mesoanalysis at the time of the tornado and less than 50 m2/s2 of effective storm relative helicity in the area. However, there were three boundaries (lake breeze from the north, outflow from the west and outflow from the south) that interacted over northern Medina County as the storm moved through. Mesoanalysis reveals over 125 J/KG of 0-3KM CAPE, and the radar evolution seems to jive with what often occurs with non-supercellular tornadoes from what I understand...there was a weak couplet for a scan or two as the storm approached Brunswick, and perhaps a modest appendage in the storm at the same time...however, the storm itself quickly went up and then collapsed. The updraft appeared to really take off right as the potential tornado occurred. I'm not sure if this would be a landspout type tornado but it was definitely an odd happening.

Here's CLE's preliminary "survey" on the tornado:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=cle&issuedby=CLE&product=PNS&format=ci&version=1

I'm always amazed at how many unwarned tornados occur in the CLE CWA each year. That's probably the reason that there's such a high "false alarm rate" for the tornado warnings that are issued. It's fortunate that no one was injured as some of the pictures of damaged homes look like severe injuries or loss of life could have occurred.

----

Storms/rain have once again missed the west side, officially the CLE airport has had 2" of rain this month, while CAK has had well over 8".

And just like that, CLE picks up 4" of rain overnight, doubling the meager 2" that had fallen in the 45 days prior.

I flew into CLE last night in the middle of the deluge. Fun landing to say the least. We finally had a good soaker out this way after being missed with just about every storm. Seems like CLE is good for several 3"+ rainfalls each summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Snoozer of summer so far if you like t'storms. Looks to continue... September in July.

LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

OVERALL PATTERN IS NOT LOOKING VERY GOOD RIGHT NOW AND IS VERY SIMILAR TO WHAT WE SAW DURING THE WINTER MONTHS.  AMPLIFICATION OF THE UPPER LEVEL RIDGE IN THE WEST IS KEEPING THE HOT DRY SUMMER WEATHER OUT IN THE WEST WHILE THE AMPLIFICATION REFLECTS ITSELF AS A DEEP TROUGH OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES. THIS TREND CONTINUES TO SEND WAVE AFTER WAVE OF COLD AIR INTO THE FORECAST AREA. AFTER A BRIEF WARM UP INTO THE WEEKEND...WE SEE ANOTHER DEEP DIGGING TROUGH INTO THE EASTERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY. THIS
MEANS ANOTHER ROUND OF COOL FALL AND SPRING LIKE AIR EXPECTED OVER THE REGION DURING THIS EXTENDED PERIOD. I WILL KEEP TEMPERATURES IN THE 70S FOR HIGHS AND LOWS IN THE 50S THROUGH THE PERIOD. THIS ROUND ACTUALLY LOOKS A BIT COOLER THAN THE CURRENT ROUND AND I MAY BE ON THE HIGH SIDE FOR TEMPERATURES IN SOME LOCATIONS. WILL NEED TO KEEP AN EYE ON THIS. WITH THE COLD AIR COMES THE THREAT FOR LAKE EFFECT SHOWERS TO DEVELOP ALONG WITH A SYNOPTIC INFLUENCE AS WEAK SURFACE TROUGHS ROTATE INTO THE FORECAST AREA.

Yep. This July weather has been very September/May like. Lawns are still very lush, by now that yellow/brown late Summer heat stress usually kicks in.

Thunderstorm days have been incredibly low this summer, but when we've had them, they have produced. Medina county seems to be the epicenter this summer season.

It's been neat seeing the lake effect rain in July. There was a nice band around Euclid last week that dumped an inch in 2 hours. I had about a half inch from a separate band the day before. We are only 3 months away from the start of the lake effect snow season, but October events like last year aren't to be expected regularly.

Yep. This July weather has been very September/May like. Lawns are still very lush, by now that yellow/brown late Summer heat stress usually kicks in.

Thunderstorm days have been incredibly low this summer, but when we've had them, they have produced. Medina county seems to be the epicenter this summer season.

It's been neat seeing the lake effect rain in July. There was a nice band around Euclid last week that dumped an inch in 2 hours. I had about a half inch from a separate band the day before. We are only 3 months away from the start of the lake effect snow season, but October events like last year aren't to be expected regularly.

It has been a strange July to say the least... I've had several low's in the upper 40's. Storm activity out this way has been mediocre at best. Might be interesting tomorrow afternoon with the warm front hanging around the lakeshore. We'll see...

I'd prefer any early season LES holds off until November. My trees took a beating last year.

Impressive rounds of storms this weekend. There were lots of trees down in my neighborhood from the squall last night just after 8pm.

I had over 3" of rain from Saturday night through this morning. That has made July the wettest month of the year IMBY.

Wow what a storm! Incredible amount of rain. NEOH do you have a rain gauge? Curious how much rain fell.

Yeah, yesterday's storm made up for a lot of misses. The rain was just ridiculous... with wind and hail as well. My rain gauge showed 3.20" yesterday, with another .50 since midnight.

Yeah, yesterday's storm made up for a lot of misses. The rain was just ridiculous... with wind and hail as well. My rain gauge showed 3.20" yesterday, with another .50 since midnight.

That is impressive, especially that much falling over such a large area as Trent had almost as much. Alot of standing water around.

It looks like CLE will come in with a high of 67 today, which is cold enough to tie the record low max for the day previously set on July 28, 1925.

Historically speaking, temperatures of 67 or less at CLE in July aren't that unusual, occurring on average 2 out of every 3 years in the early half of the 20th century. There have been 74 days at CLE in July with high temps of 67 or less, but only 2 (now 3) of those days have been since 1990. The most impressive cold July day was on July 5, 1972 with a high of just 60 and a low of 48.

• 2 weeks later...

And the rains just keep coming. There was an area in NE Cuyahoga County last night that received 5"+ and a personal weather station near Mayfield confirms this.

Everything is lush and green. Not even a hint of plants being stressed by typical hot summer days and the occasional 2-3 week stretches you get ever summer that are completely dry.

Yeah, there was an impressive band of rain that developed along the lakeshore and persisted for a few hours before pushing inland as a trough went by last night...radar at times was estimating up to 2" per hour rainfall rates near Mayfield. Would've been a solid setup a few months from now :whistle:

Archived