SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to abandon the old thread as it is 2 years old... and much too long.

Loud storms rolled through Chagrin earlier with lots of CTG lighting. Nice start to t'storm season so far. Trent probably still has his parka on near the lakeshore.

Yeah it's been brisk by the shore.

I was at the airport yesterday and my flight just made it out before the storms.

I'm now in Fairbanks, Alaska. It was -20 this morning with a 24" snow pack. Coldest I've experienced in well over a decade. Even for here this cold, this time of year is record breaking territory.

Yeah it's been brisk by the shore.

I was at the airport yesterday and my flight just made it out before the storms.

I'm now in Fairbanks, Alaska. It was -20 this morning with a 24" snow pack. Coldest I've experienced in well over a decade. Even for here this cold, this time of year is record breaking territory.

We had 2 rounds of storms yesterday... pretty rare that happens.

Enjoy Alaska. It's on my list of places to see. I could do without the -20 degree temps though.

A beautiful 83° in Chagrin today and although it was windy not quite as bad as forecasted.  It doesn't look like tomorrow's frontal passage will be anything more than a period of moderate rain.

The weather observers at CAK and YNG airports will be terminated effective May 1st, augmenting ASOS duties will go to the air traffic controllers.  No clouds above 12,000 feet and no more snowfall data (unless the NWS has a contingency plan).

A beautiful 83° in Chagrin today and although it was windy not quite as bad as forecasted.  It doesn't look like tomorrow's frontal passage will be anything more than a period of moderate rain.

The weather observers at CAK and YNG airports will be terminated effective May 1st, augmenting ASOS duties will go to the air traffic controllers.  No clouds above 12,000 feet and no more snowfall data (unless the NWS has a contingency plan).

The plus side is that YNG will finally end up having realistic snowfall measurements again!

What about CLE? I'd assume if anyone was cut there, the NWS could just take over themselves as they are already at the airport.

I just returned from Alaska yesterday. Fairbanks had a record low this week and now CLE is poised to tie the record for today (they may come up a degree short depending on whether there was an intra hour spike or not). Nonetheless going from -21 to +84 is quite a shock to the senses.

The plus side is that YNG will finally end up having realistic snowfall measurements again!

What about CLE? I'd assume if anyone was cut there, the NWS could just take over themselves as they are already at the airport.

I just returned from Alaska yesterday. Fairbanks had a record low this week and now CLE is poised to tie the record for today (they may come up a degree short depending on whether there was an intra hour spike or not). Nonetheless going from -21 to +84 is quite a shock to the senses.

I'm not sure snowfall measurements will continue at YNG unless the NWS has a backup plan as FL510 mentioned...the same may go for CLE. I don't think the NWS honestly has time to augment METARs on top of the other stuff they have to do. I could add my personal opinion on all this but that's not for this forum :lol:

And oh, beautiful day statewide today.

• 3 weeks later...

We've had a perfect start to May. Might as well be living in California with full sun, and highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's.

We could use some rain to wash the pollen out of the air though. Everything is coated with a green tint with all of the pollen. At least the dry spell has slowed the lawn growth down.

2013 is shaping up to be very uninteresting across northern Ohio in the weather department. I think a half inch rainfall and a 2" snowfall would make this year's extreme weather lists.

Hurricane Sandy used up 10 years worth of extreme weather in one fell swoop last year for us.

Boring pattern, but an awesome setup for golf. I've been golfing nearly daily, just absolutely awesome weather for that and everything is crazy green

Yeah, this weather doesn't get any better for outdoor activities. I wouldn't mind a rain shower to wash the pollen out of the air. I live in a neighborhood filled with large oaks and it's out of control right now.

Nice stretch of cloud free, comfortable weather we have had.  Been a while since we have had such a long consistent nice stretch. I agree with needing a little rain.  There was a pretty good storm in Solon earlier, and looks like more rain on Friday.  

I heard a lot of areas were graced by grauple this morning. Just light rain out here in Reminderville...still plenty cold for grauple if some heavier showers can re-develop. 

Yep. We had it here this morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

First decent chance for severe weather today. Full sun out there and should last awhile as the debris clouds are west of the area. Best shot at storms looks to be from Sandusky on east. After seeing the devastation in Oklahoma... I'll be perfectly happy with a garden variety storm. We could use the rain.

Yep. We're running about a 3" rainfall deficit already this year. It looks and feels like mid August out there. Very unusual to see dull greens and yellows across the lawns in May. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the weather theme this summer.

Radar is pretty lackluster right now, so we'll see if things explode later on.

Yep. We're running about a 3" rainfall deficit already this year. It looks and feels like mid August out there. Very unusual to see dull greens and yellows across the lawns in May. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the weather theme this summer.

Radar is pretty lackluster right now, so we'll see if things explode later on.

Picked up .40 IMBY as of this morning. Pretty disappointing rainfall for most of the area though... not to mention the lack of storms.

Ok. So we went from 88 with dews above 70 down to 45 with winds gusting to 32 mph. Not often you use wind chill and heat index in the same week.

Went from having the AC on, to the heat coming on in 24 hours. Quite a change in airmasses. Should be a nice weekend though. Picked up some much needed rain IMBY.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a roller coaster ride from dry and warm to cool and rain. I thought for sure we were headed for a dry/hot June but what a change. My yard went from solid to wet the past week or so.

30% severe storm probs for tomorrow. Hopefully everything comes together for a decent event.

Archived