• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

I'm a little concerned about tonight in the Chagrin Valley.  Not all of the snow melted today as our high was only 36 F and we only had about 30 minutes of sunshine at midday.  A lot of trees are still heavy with snow...we've had a mix of precipitation all afternoon and even some thundersnow in the heaviest of the band.  It's a slushy mess as of 5 p.m. and 33 F.  I would think 2" or more of heavy wet snow with below freezing temperatures would cause more problems tomorrow morning.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was snowing pretty good this afternoon, but even then it was hard to get more than 4 or 5 inches on the ground due to melting.

Here was halfway through the event this morning in a lull:

post-599-0-90468500-1382652767_thumb.png

Here was driving home:

post-599-0-59936900-1382652777_thumb.png

I "only" had 1.2" IMBY, but considering that's along the lake, that's very impressive for this time of year. My rain gauge showed 0.68" of melted equivalent. There was barely any rain so that's like a 1:2 ratio IMBY. 

Look at these METARs from KBKL (the lakefront airport in downtown Cleveland), yes that's two hours of thundersnow and then winds at 63 mph!!!

KBKL 242253Z 25015KT A3007 RMK AO2 SLPNO
KBKL 242153Z 25055KT 10SM SQ SCT030 BKN045 A3005 RMK AO2 TSE2056SNE2056 SLPNO
KBKL 242102Z 28015KT 10SM BKN055 A3004 RMK AO2 TSE2056SNE2056
KBKL 242053Z 27016KT 10SM -TSSN BKN030 A3003 RMK AO2 SLPNO 52003
KBKL 241953Z -TSSN A3003 RMK AO2 SLPNO

So the Lake Effect Snow Warning was verified. It felt a little surreal today pulling out the winter coat from the closet, cleaning snow off the car, and then sitting on icy highways to work ... and then spending at least 10 minutes scraping and cleaning snow off the car after work.

Hopefully round two pans out tonight! Would love to see some double digit lake effect storm totals out of this.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH
450 PM EDT THU OCT 24 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0130 PM SNOW MAYFIELD HEIGHTS 41.52N 81.45W
10/24/2013 E6.0 INCH CUYAHOGA OH TRAINED SPOTTER

APPROXIMATELY 6 INCHES OF SNOW FELL OVERNIGHT THROUGH 130
PM ON 10/24/2013. NUMEROUS TREES ARE DOWN. ROADS ARE SNOW
COVERED. THUNDER IS ACCOMPANYING THE SNOW.

Look at these METARs from KBKL (the lakefront airport in downtown Cleveland), yes that's two hours of thundersnow and then winds at 63 mph!!!

KBKL 242253Z 25015KT A3007 RMK AO2 SLPNO

KBKL 242153Z 25055KT 10SM SQ SCT030 BKN045 A3005 RMK AO2 TSE2056SNE2056 SLPNO

KBKL 242102Z 28015KT 10SM BKN055 A3004 RMK AO2 TSE2056SNE2056

KBKL 242053Z 27016KT 10SM -TSSN BKN030 A3003 RMK AO2 SLPNO 52003

KBKL 241953Z -TSSN A3003 RMK AO2 SLPNO

The anemometer at BKL is not operating as the runway is undergoing construction, so the wind data was entered manually by a control tower personnel.  I would guess that is a typo, but of course I have no idea.  Once the air traffic controller enters a 55 knot sustained wind, the ASOS software automatically puts in the "SQ" for squall.  

The anemometer at BKL is not operating as the runway is undergoing construction, so the wind data was entered manually by a control tower personnel.  I would guess that is a typo, but of course I have no idea.  Once the air traffic controller enters a 55 knot sustained wind, the ASOS software automatically puts in the "SQ" for squall.  

There was a rather intense cell centered over the airport during the evening rush. Perhaps it was a gust from that, then entered manually after the fact.

Flew back home from Chicago last night. Didn't see any snow on the ground until I hit 306/422. As you headed north the snow increased significantly. Still around 3-4" on the ground this morning with lots of tree damage. The Chagrin area is a great place to see how much elevation makes a difference in snowfall over over short distances.

Good call OHWeather... snow busted last night.

Yeah. Here in Mayfield Heights there's at least 4" left on the ground. Numerous trees down. The difference of 200' in elevation is astounding. Traverse a mile and you'll go from winter wonderland back to fall.

Sounds like the Mayfield Heights area was one of the hardest hit. I talked with my old neighbor in Lyndhurst (just north of 271/Cedar exit)... the tree damage was awful. We moved just in time as our old house had several large oak limbs down on it. Although we have a lot of limbs down at our new house as well.

I'm shocked. The snow isn't budging here. Easily a dense 3-4" of snow left here in Mayfield Heights with temps in the 40s. I'm curious how long some of mall parking lot piles will last!

I guess because this event had such a high water content the snow is taking a long time to melt.  Usually, it seems like lake effect precip is quite dry.

Truly amazing to see the snow gradient with elevation, and also the damage.  Like NEOH said, getting off at 422 and 306 the grass is green.  Once you hit washington you start seeing snow, and then a good amount towards Bell.  All down Bell there were limbs down everywhere.  This is my moving weekend, and appears I will be doing a lot of limb cutting at the new house next week  :axe: .  As of this evening, there still appeared to be 4-5" of snow in the yard.

Truly amazing to see the snow gradient with elevation, and also the damage. Like NEOH said, getting off at 422 and 306 the grass is green. Once you hit washington you start seeing snow, and then a good amount towards Bell. All down Bell there were limbs down everywhere. This is my moving weekend, and appears I will be doing a lot of limb cutting at the new house next week :axe: . As of this evening, there still appeared to be 4-5" of snow in the yard.

There is still snow on the ground as of this evening... Although it is getting patchy. Amazing longevity for late Oct. Our yard is a mess.... Countless branches and limbs down. If you need to borrow a chainsaw just let me know neighbor.

The tree damage is incredible on the east side. I drove up Lander road to Ridgebury to Richmond to Highland on Friday and you are hard pressed to find one yard that didn't have substantial tree limbs down. 

It puts into perspective how damaging a fall snowstorm is compared to a summer severe thunderstorm. 

It's also interesting how there really isn't an official warning system for these kinds of events. There is no warning to alert folks of a significant threat to property and life because of snow falling on trees that still have their leaves on. 3-6" of heavy wet snow in October is damaging, but not in January. 

That was probably a once in a 50 year event.

The tree damage is incredible on the east side. I drove up Lander road to Ridgebury to Richmond to Highland on Friday and you are hard pressed to find one yard that didn't have substantial tree limbs down. 

It puts into perspective how damaging a fall snowstorm is compared to a summer severe thunderstorm. 

It's also interesting how there really isn't an official warning system for these kinds of events. There is no warning to alert folks of a significant threat to property and life because of snow falling on trees that still have their leaves on. 3-6" of heavy wet snow in October is damaging, but not in January. 

weird. It took nearly 9" to break our trees a couple of years ago. Sad to hear that it damaged property

Wind threat possible in northern Ohio. Halloween at 18z, Toledo area- the winds are 55 kt above ground.

post-1182-0-19344400-1382905670_thumb.pn

Does anyone have any winter predictions?  If we get a lot of stuck, strong lows over Quebec due to a strong Greenland block we will be in for a lot more lake effect events.

It's really a tough call on this winter with no really strong, overwhelming signal. I have a feeling at least initially that cold air will dump in to our west with lake cutters favored. If we can see the pattern over the Pacific shift away from a La Nina like pattern later in the winter OR a -NAO develop at any point during the winter however OH could cash in. I'd expect Hokpins to get something like 55-65" of snow...somewhat below average...but that could honestly bust either way.

The last time I remember a snow event that did this much damage across NE OH was the two April of 2005 events...with the April 23-25th event that year being particularly damaging across the southern and eastern suburbs.

I seem to remember a lake effect event in the first half of October in the early 2000's...maybe 2000...that dropped a few inches on the Mayfield area. I only remember it because my grandfather lived there. It was over a weekend, maybe someone who wasn't 8 at the time and lived in the area remembers? I don't remember it being nearly as heavy of an accumulation as this event though.

I'd have to suspect Mayfield or somewhere close by may have seen 8-10" from this event piecing some reports together...I heard a report of 5" on the ground as of early Thursday, the storm report you posted early Thursday afternoon was saying 6" of snow in Mayfield through that time, and my dad's girlfriend works in Mayfield and said there was 4" on here car at 4:30PM when she left work. Either way, it was an impressive event with a consistent band from Cleveland east for about 20 hours straight, with quite a bit of thunder/lightning.

I'd think the best way to cover these situations (potential for significant tree damage, but generally sub-warning criteria snow amounts) would be to issue either a winter storm or lake effect snow warning with stress on the potential tree damage. BUF put on out in October 2006 for 1-6" of snow when they got clobbered...of course it ended up being 12-20" of snow so the warning verified regardless. Unfortunately CLE was asleep behind the wheel Wednesday night while snow was accumulating in Cuyahoga County, not really acknowledging it was occurring until 3-4am despite reports flying in after about 10pm that it was snowing and sticking, especially from 271 east. Oh well, good to know our NWS still sucks with lake effect after a good long summer.

There is still snow on the ground as of this evening... Although it is getting patchy. Amazing longevity for late Oct. Our yard is a mess.... Countless branches and limbs down. If you need to borrow a chainsaw just let me know neighbor.

Thanks man, appreciate it! I will let you know. Probably tackle the limbs Tuesday.

Was looking up pictures of the November 1913 blizzard and came across this gem from the April 20, 1901 storm:

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/burton/id/59/rec/1

I believe the late April 1901 storm might have possibly produced the largest synoptic snows on record for Ohio ... up to 42"

Nice find. I wonder if that the was entire population of Burton standing on the snow. 42" of April cement would be tough to move around... especially in 1901.

Was looking up pictures of the November 1913 blizzard and came across this gem from the April 20, 1901 storm:

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/burton/id/59/rec/1

I believe the late April 1901 storm might have possibly produced the largest synoptic snows on record for Ohio ... up to 42"

Wow that's impressive!  Good find

Archived