Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow last night when I went to bed was very sugar like, so if we had any snow growth those radar returns may have yielded better totals.

3" of snow is 3" of snow so I can't be too disappointed...although obviously some potential was wasted and we are starting to run out of time.

The advisory was iffy. I didn't mind it a ton especially since it started out as zr initially at my house with temps in the low to mid 20's...although if this got an advisory the lake effect this past week probably should have too in my opinion.

Incredible satellite shot today showing Lake Erie's ice cover extent in March.

Even more amazing is that BKL only managed a high of 9 degrees today ... with full sunshine ... in March, just incredible.

I'm now ranking this winter an A- in my book. Prolonged cold, while not even close to being top ten coldest January or February, has been noteworthy with frequent moderate snows and respectable snow cover. 

Cuyahoga County's eastern suburbs are pushing 120" for the year and IMBY I'm edging 85". While CLE's lowballed totals and unfavorable location for westerly lake effect events this season may make this winter look only marginally above average for the record books, it won't paint the full story of the winter.

Granted this winter did feature several significant snowfall busts and numerous close calls where areas just 50 miles away had huge storms, which will prevent me from giving this winter an A. Had you thrown in a big dog 12"+ event this winter from a gulf low, this winter easily would have gone down as an A. 

Incredible satellite shot today showing Lake Erie's ice cover extent in March.

Even more amazing is that BKL only managed a high of 9 degrees today ... with full sunshine ... in March, just incredible.

I'm now ranking this winter an A- in my book. Prolonged cold, while not even close to being top ten coldest January or February, has been noteworthy with frequent moderate snows and respectable snow cover.

Cuyahoga County's eastern suburbs are pushing 120" for the year and IMBY I'm edging 85". While CLE's lowballed totals and unfavorable location for westerly lake effect events this season may make this winter look only marginally above average for the record books, it won't paint the full story of the winter.

Granted this winter did feature several significant snowfall busts and numerous close calls where areas just 50 miles away had huge storms, which will prevent me from giving this winter an A. Had you thrown in a big dog 12"+ event this winter from a gulf low, this winter easily would have gone down as an A.

I'd give this winter a B+ Imby. Long lasting cold and snow cover the main reason. If I didn't move from the jackpot area prior to winter it would certainly be an A. Snowfall wise it has been average in this area... If we had a big dog and a significant les event this winter would had felt much different. The early start to winter was definitely a nice change. However, the les storm from October will cost a thousand or so just to have the hanging branches cleared... The price you pay I guess.

It's currently -1 on march 3rd...No doubt winter is trying to hold on. At this point I'm ready to move on to spring.

Is that the Euro showing 10" for Cleveland next Tuesday?

Double whammy midnight record low last night for March 3rd and 4th.

I wish CLE would post record low maxes. I have a feeling yesterday might have been one of the coldest high temperatures ever recorded in Cleveland during March. BKL's high of 9 is downright impressive.

I wish CLE would post record low maxes. I have a feeling yesterday might have been one of the coldest high temperatures ever recorded in Cleveland during March. BKL's high of 9 is downright impressive.

The Euro looks a few degrees warm for next Tuesday but is kind of close.

The record low max for CLE yesterday was 14 set in 1873...and they only managed 12 yesterday which broke that record. It was about as cold of a day as you can get in March.

http://threadex.rcc-acis.org/

Awesome, so that 12 degrees was a record low max and 4th coldest for March.

Considering many of the records are for downtown Cleveland pre 1930s, it's safe to say that yesterday's high of 9 in downtown Cleveland tied for coldest high temperature ever recorded in Cleveland during the month of March. But, that high of 9 on March 21, 1885 is much more impressive.

The lake breeze gradients this spring will be unreal.

Surprised the NWS is going so cold on Friday. First, even today's GFS MOS numbers are too cold this afternoon for the area. Second, the medium range guidance has a 850 mB temp of +3 C Friday afternoon. That should make near 50 F surface temps away from the lake.

MOS is really going to struggle this time of year it seems.

On the 12z Euro looks like mid 40's for most away from the lake. The NAM and GFS are both in the low to mid 30's, however show upper 40's over southern Ohio where there isn't much snow cover...so the models are likely improperly handling how the snow cover will interact with temps.

Given a half decent SWrly flow, pretty warm mid-level temps and what appears to be a lot of sunshine I'd say near 50 away from the lake is a good bet...could be a tight temperature gradient across Cuyahoga County.

I had completely lost track of this weather seminar by Mark Thornton:

http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Seminars/Seminars.html

Neat!  I won't be able to attend so I sent him a e-mail.  I noticed in the summer the "lake breeze" always seems to blow from the northeast.  I've noticed in other regions the sea-breeze typically is directly perpendicular to the coastline, but it doesn't seem to work that way on Lake Erie.  I noticed last year at BKL and Fairport Harbor the wind almost always picks up from the NE on summertime afternoons, and sometimes it really blows.

Anyone know why it blows from the NE and not perpendicular to the coast (NNW)?

Anyone see the Euro for Wednesday?

Looks almost perfect for NE Ohio. Biggest blizzard in decades if it verifies.  :weenie:  :snowman:

Too bad it's still 5-6 days out. It would be nice though for NE Ohio to catch up with the rest of the US with ridiculous snowfall surpluses ... CLE's current 4" above seasonal average just isn't cutting it.

Euro has definitely been consistent with a storm for a few days now. If this storm doesn't materialize here, I hope it misses us by at least 500 miles in either direction, I couldn't stomach another near miss.

Lake breeze should be fun to watch today. We'll probably see BKL drop 20 degrees sometime between noon and two. March sun should wipe out most snow not protected by shade today too.

Anyone see the Euro for Wednesday?

Looks almost perfect for NE Ohio. Biggest blizzard in decades if it verifies.  :weenie:  :snowman:

Too bad it's still 5-6 days out. It would be nice though for NE Ohio to catch up with the rest of the US with ridiculous snowfall surpluses ... CLE's current 4" above seasonal average just isn't cutting it.

Yikes. The 0Z GFS isn't as phased and looked a bit further south, but still showed some snow.

post-12007-0-39777000-1394198410_thumb.j

Euro has definitely been consistent with a storm for a few days now. If this storm doesn't materialize here, I hope it misses us by at least 500 miles in either direction, I couldn't stomach another near miss.

Lake breeze should be fun to watch today. We'll probably see BKL drop 20 degrees sometime between noon and two. March sun should wipe out most snow not protected by shade today too.

It's going to be fun watching the lake breeze this spring. Incredible temp gradients. The one bonus of living out here is that the lake breeze generally doesn't make it this far south.

The snow is very dense in my yard. Still a general 3 inches of glacier to melt. Full sun in March is start chipping away at it though.

48 now at CLE. 50 seems like a decent best guess for how high they'll get at this point. Was up in Chagrin Falls and South Russell earlier...there's definitely more snow there than down here in Reminderville. I saw a few yards that still had a ton of limbs down on Bell Street once I hit South Russell and on 306 until I hit Bainbridge...is the tree damage leftover from the October LES? I couldn't think of anything more recent that would've taken down all those limbs. If so, that's pretty impressive. The few yards not cleaned up looked like almost every tree had damage. Still am upset I had to sit that event out in sunny Athens.

After backing off a bit 0z, the 12z Euro is back to showing some more fun next week. The issue will be actually getting the energy to eject out of the southwest in one piece instead of it getting sheared to death or getting left behind like has happened many times this winter.

48 now at CLE. 50 seems like a decent best guess for how high they'll get at this point. Was up in Chagrin Falls and South Russell earlier...there's definitely more snow there than down here in Reminderville. I saw a few yards that still had a ton of limbs down on Bell Street once I hit South Russell and on 306 until I hit Bainbridge...is the tree damage leftover from the October LES? I couldn't think of anything more recent that would've taken down all those limbs. If so, that's pretty impressive. The few yards not cleaned up looked like almost every tree had damage. Still am upset I had to sit that event out in sunny Athens.

Feels great out there today. Yeah, once you get into the protected neighborhoods there is still 90% snowcover around here. The limbs you see hanging are from the October LES. I'd say 75% of the trees in my yard had damage. There are still branches hanging all over the place.

53 at CLE and 38 at BKL.

I'm surprised at the persistence of the snow despite full sun and 50s. That crust of ice is stubborn.

Euro once again teases us for midweek. Hard not to get drawn in considering some of the model solutions being tossed out. Tomorrow also marks 6 years since the 2008 March blizzard. I'd love a repeat this week.

Euro sniffed this storm out quite a while back!

Will be fun to see how this pans out. But what are the odds after 8 days of model watching we get 2" of slop?

Euro sniffed this storm out quite a while back!

Will be fun to see how this pans out. But what are the odds after 8 days of model watching we get 2" of slop?

The odds aren't all that bad IMO. I'd like to see the glass as half full but we tend not to do well with large synoptic storms... At least this winter. I'll be prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

The 12Z GFS is bullish with precipitation in the southern section of NE Ohio for the storm but a bit milder than previous runs. For Akron (KAKR) the event total QPF is about 0.6" but the boundary layer is above freezing until Wednesday morning so much of that may be rain. Further to the north the air is colder, but QPF is less.

Archived