Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the band didn't disappoint. Nice half hour or so of heavy snow. Going to be a long ride from here to get to 3" or more unless the radar fills in to the west. Looks like the dry slot is already moving in. Heaviest snow might fall just to the nw once again... Apologies for the downer post but synoptic systems just haven't delivered this winter.

Funny how that works. The storms you track for every model run for a week, don't perform, yet this was barely on my radar for more than a couple inches.

The band that rolled through last night around 8 was awesome, but it looked like that was going to be it. When I went to bed I thought we might get another half inch or so.

I woke up once in the middle of the night and it was dead silent. I thought it might have been snowing extremely hard because the snow absorbs all the sound, when I looked out it was a whiteout. There must have been max rates of 2-3" per hour. There was probably some lake enhancement/convergence going on when the winds shifted westerly.

Definitely an awesome "classic" event. The snow isn't heavy/wet, just a nice solid dry powder. Very impressive.

That storm completely changed my perception of this winter.

Funny how that works. The storms you track for every model run for a week, don't perform, yet this was barely on my radar for more than a couple inches.

The band that rolled through last night around 8 was awesome, but it looked like that was going to be it. When I went to bed I thought we might get another half inch or so.

I woke up once in the middle of the night and it was dead silent. I thought it might have been snowing extremely hard because the snow absorbs all the sound, when I looked out it was a whiteout. There must have been max rates of 2-3" per hour. There was probably some lake enhancement/convergence going on when the winds shifted westerly.

Definitely an awesome "classic" event. The snow isn't heavy/wet, just a nice solid dry powder. Very impressive.

That storm completely changed my perception of this winter.

You summed it up perfectly. 8.6" so far. I thought for sure this was going to bust low (not even 3") after the heavy band pushed through. I woke up as well and it was a whiteout. It was odd to see the heavy snow band on the south side of the low. By far the best storm of the season. Awesome surprise snowfall. Now if we could only avoid the inevitable torch and rain later this week. We'll definitely have snowcover left, just how much is the question.

Hard to measure as my driveway drifts easily. The measurements I took were between 7-10" . Curious what NEOH measures.

Very impressive storm. I believe this will put me right at or over 100" on the year.

I might have measured low given the winds. 8.6" was the best I could come up with.

Wow... Didn't expect to wake up and see it still snowing. Haven't measured but it looks like 5" or more fell last night and still coming down. My call above was an awful bust.

Mine too. I've got to give CLE some credit for a good job with this one.

The front end went about as I thought ... about 1 1/2" and then we got into a mix of sleet and a little freezing rain and then it lightened up and I thought we were pretty much done. Then about 11:00 saw some wraparound snow filling in over northern IN and northwest OH and I thought, maybe we can squeeze another inch if we're lucky. Then about 1:00 it looked like a heavy band formed just south of the lakeshore and drifted very slowly north. Woke up to about 6-7" this morning. Certainly didn't expect that. It's a shame much of it will be gone by Friday morning.

The front end went about as I thought ... about 1 1/2" and then we got into a mix of sleet and a little freezing rain and then it lightened up and I thought we were pretty much done. Then about 11:00 saw some wraparound snow filling in over northern IN and northwest OH and I thought, maybe we can squeeze another inch if we're lucky. Then about 1:00 it looked like a heavy band formed just south of the lakeshore and drifted very slowly north. Woke up to about 6-7" this morning. Certainly didn't expect that. It's a shame much of it will be gone by Friday morning.

It'll be back. These warmups have been vastly overstated the last few weeks and it seems cold plunges/snow are likely into March.

I don't think any model showed this much snow for the area. I think CLE was calling for 3-5"... which was a good call based on the models. When I went to bed I noticed snow redeveloping to the west but figured it would go NW of this area. Great positive bust for a change.

Still a few days about but the models seem to show the heaviest rain going NW of the area. If we can escape the heavier rains we should be ok since the warmth will be somewhat brief. All bets are off if its 50+ with heavy rain.

I don't think any model showed this much snow for the area. I think CLE was calling for 3-5"... which was a good call based on the models. When I went to bed I noticed snow redeveloping to the west but figured it would go NW of this area. Great positive bust for a change.

Still a few days about but the models seem to show the heaviest rain going NW of the area. If we can escape the heavier rains we should be ok since the warmth will be somewhat brief. All bets are off if its 50+ with heavy rain.

I remember my mother's birthday, May 3rd, in 2004 when we had three inches of ice in our driveway. I also recall the March blizzard in 2008 and the Easter LES mess in April 2007. I get the vibe that this winter ain't gonna be over for possibly another two months or so. Winter had an early end the last two years, so a late winter seems plausable.

Hard to measure as my driveway drifts easily. The measurements I took were between 7-10" . Curious what NEOH measures.

Very impressive storm. I believe this will put me right at or over 100" on the year.

Yep, this storm just put Mayfield Heights at roughly 103" for the season. In Lakewood I just eclipsed 80".

The airport looks to come in a hair under 5" though 7am. They might have picked up a little after that, but 30 mph winds on an open airfield and I'm sure the measurements are low.

Lots of 7"+ amounts trickling in. It's hard to say how much storm total because the heavy band of snow last night might not be included in some of the 7-9am reports coming in. Likewise any snow after 7am this morning might be reported tonight.

Yep, this storm just put Mayfield Heights at roughly 103" for the season. In Lakewood I just eclipsed 80".

The airport looks to come in a hair under 5" though 7am. They might have picked up a little after that, but 30 mph winds on an open airfield and I'm sure the measurements are low.

Lots of 7"+ amounts trickling in. It's hard to say how much storm total because the heavy band of snow last night might not be included in some of the 7-9am reports coming in. Likewise any snow after 7am this morning might be reported tonight.

CLE posted the 12hr and storm totals. Some wide ranging amounts in there. CLE reported 4.7". There was a report from Chagrin Falls of 8.5" so I feel pretty good about my 8.6" measurement.

CLE posted the 12hr and storm totals. Some wide ranging amounts in there. CLE reported 4.7". There was a report from Chagrin Falls of 8.5" so I feel pretty good about my 8.6" measurement.

There's definitely less snow in Mayfield Heights than Lakewood, but radar confirms that.

The problem with the PNS is that some of those reports are only partial totals. Anywhere from CLE west would have had measurable snow before last nights 7-9pm measurement. Likewise a lot of people still had accumulating snow after this mornings 7-9am cut off time. Some of those reports are also totals that people called in around 5-6am when it was dumping 1-2" per hour and never called in a final total.

Winds were pretty strong so drifting was likely an issue. I'm fortunate that I have a pretty protected backyard that's void of drifting so getting a decent measurement isn't too hard.

There's definitely less snow in Mayfield Heights than Lakewood, but radar confirms that.

The problem with the PNS is that some of those reports are only partial totals. Anywhere from CLE west would have had measurable snow before last nights 7-9pm measurement. Likewise a lot of people still had accumulating snow after this mornings 7-9am cut off time. Some of those reports are also totals that people called in around 5-6am when it was dumping 1-2" per hour and never called in a final total.

Winds were pretty strong so drifting was likely an issue. I'm fortunate that I have a pretty protected backyard that's void of drifting so getting a decent measurement isn't too hard.

I was in legacy village early this morning and noticed there was less snow in that area as well. I need to find a better place to measure. My yard is open but surrounded by trees. Drifting is definitely an issue when trying to find a place to measure. Especially with the winds last night and this morning.

Sure was a nice surprise this morning. 8.6" does sound about right.

Does anyone have a good depth measurement before some melting starts? I'll try to get one when I get home.

16" depth seems to be the average. There's a good 4-5" of crust under the new snow we've received since the last melt. That should hold pretty well.

It hit 53 here today and our 6" of snowpack yesterday is down to 2" now. How am I in the same state as you guys?

Well, the sun is doing a number on the snow here as well. Sunny side - lots of melting, while it still looks like fresh snow on the shady side. This is one of the things about Spring I can't stand.

Figures ...

We get a surprise snowstorm ... the best of the year ... and it surges up to 47 degrees within 12 hours of it finishing.

I was fairly confident yesterday morning that some snowpack would remain by the weekend, not so sure right now.

Figures ...

We get a surprise snowstorm ... the best of the year ... and it surges up to 47 degrees within 12 hours of it finishing.

I was fairly confident yesterday morning that some snowpack would remain by the weekend, not so sure right now.

Was CLE's storm total only 4.8"?

Surprised to wake up to such mild temps Temp hovered betweeen 37 and 41 all night around here. There will be a lot of melt today if it stays sunny. Looks like the models take the heaviest rain to the NW and SE of the area. That may be the only way we come away with any snowcover. Considering how easily we warm around here I wouldn't be surprised if there are only patches and piles by Friday.

Archived