Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 24-25 Potential Bomb Part Deux

earthlight

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As ive been saying...scenic event with heavy non-accumulating snow. Completely diff situation were it to fall overnight. Ground is getting full sun today as well. Nearly impossible to get accums on roads tomorrow. I saw a very similar situation in buffalo 2 yrs ago. Forecast was for 4 to 8 in first wk of april. We saw snow all day w no accums

As ive been saying...scenic event with heavy non-accumulating snow. Completely diff situation were it to fall overnight. Ground is getting full sun today as well. Nearly impossible to get accums on roads tomorrow. I saw a very similar situation in buffalo 2 yrs ago. Forecast was for 4 to 8 in first wk of april. We saw snow all day w no accums

That's what happened on the south shore with the March 7-8th event. Snowed all day but no accumulation. I fear the same might happen tomorrow, but we'll have heavier precip this time. With the 7-8th storm, the precip rates were weak on the south shore.

What would the timing be on this storm the start an the heaviest snows?

starts somewhere between 2 - 5 am - heaviest from about noon - 7 pm - thats the main reason snowfall amounts will only be in the 1 - 3 inch range IMO

Great run for NJ. NYC also gets it good. This storm is going to have a tight gradient.

I'm thinking it's a case where the banding gets up to maybe I-78 and goes no further, and we get some light bursts from what can make it up past there. A lot of times the northern extents of these systems can be overdone-on 3/8, the NAM showed heavy snow making it into the Hudson Valley and NW NJ, while I basically had flurries on the South Shore and people NW of me had little/nothing. I'm just not feeling this one, unless other models make a NW shift today. And we have to have heavy snow to get anything to stick in the middle of the day anyway, and temps will be over 32. My call is that maybe the grass gets an inch or so for most of us but other than that, nothing. Roads/paved stay wet. Real snow makes it to Monmouth County.

It's going to be one of those storms where the radar's really tough to watch I think. The CCB probably stays 30 miles south of Long Island and we maybe get some light batches of snow/mix that can make it north a little more.

The meat of the CCB will be offshore, however, we'll still see mostly moderate snow with occasional bursts of heavy snow from bands that move up from the CCB. Your use of "light batches" I don't get. I don't think it will be light at all, only in the beginning.

The only problem with this storm is getting it to accumulate.

We need the nam to show the bandds overs us, the 4k is showing the band just off shore which is exactly what happend with the inverted trough storm

- We have seen 200 mile shifts in the gfs 24 hours out this year so nothing should be off the table.

The meat of the CCB will be offshore, however, we'll still see mostly moderate snow with occasional bursts of heavy snow from bands that move up from the CCB. Your use of "light batches" I don't get. I don't think it will be light at all, only in the beginning.

The only problem with this storm is getting it to accumulate.

There's going to be a sharp cutoff on the northern side of this, like most storms dealing with tons of confluence. It likely goes from a good, heavy snow to nothing very quick. On 3/8, we had a time when some decent echos made it into Long Island but not much happened. I could see that happening again. North of here like White Plains or Bridgeport I could honestly see just having a cloudy day.

There's going to be a sharp cutoff on the northern side of this, like most storms dealing with tons of confluence. It likely goes from a good, heavy snow to nothing very quick. On 3/8, we had a time when some decent echos made it into Long Island but not much happened. I could see that happening again. North of here like White Plains or Bridgeport I could honestly see just having a cloudy day.

True, the 3/8 storm absolutely sucked here. The 20-25dbz bands the radar was showing were weaker and were only like 10-15dbz bands. I would worry if I was on the north shore though, I think the south shore should be ok this time.

4km NAM snow map shows 2ft in Delaware, 6" up to northern Monmouth County, 2-4" for NYC, 2" for Central/Western LI, Dusting to 1" for eastern LI.

I'm wondering how it will play in coastal monmouth county, around Long Branch/Eatontown.  NAM shows surface temps between 32 and 34, but it is very difficult to get snow to accumulate, even on grass, on the coast with those temps at this time of year.  There might end up being both a sharp north/south cutoff (caused by qpf differences) and a sharp coastal/inland cutoff as well (caused by p-type/surface-temp issues).

have to say that it can accumulate on the roads this time of year - back on April 7, 2003 the road crews were caught off guard here in central NJ there was a slushy few inches covering even well traveled local roads that day in the early afternoon ............and temps the day before were well into the 40's

have to say that it can accumulate on the roads this time of year - back on April 7, 2003 the road crews were caught off guard here in central NJ there was a slushy few inches covering even well traveled local roads that day in the early afternoon ............and temps the day before were well into the 40's

There will likely be accums where the snow is coming down hard, I could see places in Monmouth or Ocean County getting 6". Problem is how far north it can extend.

Midday in late March for CNJ off the 12z NAM.

Wetbulbing to 32F with hvy pcpn:303b8cx.jpg

15z for inland CNJ:veyczc.jpg

With an inch of liquid into CNJ and 50 mph wind gusts I would expect blizzard conditions to develop in thru central Monmouth and ocean counties. There's a 6 hr period of heavy snow and would expect someone in the interior to max out close to 10 inches where the heaviest banding sets up

21z still going:5n1zef.gif

Clearly if vv's are strong enough and it snows heavily, surface temps will not be a concern.

ISO I agree with you. Responded to ur post via phone. So it did so mid stream

Archived