Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Wes Junker's confession - great read

capitalweather

What a massive :weenie: you are :wub:

Awesome article Wes. Can relate to a lot of the posts in here in regards to snow when I was a kid. Only good thing was back then in far NWNJ we had to move the antenna to get a good signal from the NYC stations to get the weather. Sadly, I think I seen more snow (snowy signal) on that TV than I have in the last two years down here :(

If you think that's bad, try getting OCD mad at neighborhood kids walking through your yard with a deep base of freshly fallen snow!

Wes -- the new NCWCP building is a terrific setting to watch the snow fall! It's just too bad we didn't have a lot of it falling this year. Perhaps just as well though -- nothing more difficult than having to focus your attention to other work-related weather (QPF, medium range, etc across the entire CONUS) when it's snowing like crazy out the back window. Fortunately, most of my shifts are on the WWD, so it's easier for me to become absorbed when that happens! ;-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think that's bad, try getting OCD mad at neighborhood kids walking through your yard with a deep base of freshly fallen snow!

Wes -- the new NCWCP building is a terrific setting to watch the snow fall! It's just too bad we didn't have a lot of it falling this year. Perhaps just as well though -- nothing more difficult than having to focus your attention to other work-related weather (QPF, medium range, etc across the entire CONUS) when it's snowing like crazy out the back window. Fortunately, most of my shifts are on the WWD, so it's easier for me to become absorbed when that happens! ;-)

The old wwb was a terrible place to watch snow.  I remember having the same feeling about freshly fallen snow. 

Some of my earliest memories are of sledding through some wicked wooded trails behind our house and ice-skating on frozen ponds during the mid to late '70s.  Can remember a family friend who had a big pond on thier farm and hosted ice-hockey games.  In-between games people would congregate (and drink) by the barrell-drum fires.  It seems almost surreal now given the new reality of our climate.  i doubt there's been a cold-enough period since 1996 when one could safely skate on a pond in these parts (if even then). 

Winter of 2008-2009, there's a small lake on the way to Whitetail Ski slopes that had several people ice fishing on it.  I have pictures standing in the middle of it.  Ice was thick.  This is right on the Md/Pa border.

People were skating on the canal in 09-10. Even the big wide part was open for skating. I think the time before that was 04-05.

No doubt that it's nothing like it was in the 60's-80's. We need a "special" winter to freeze thick as opposed to normal one a couple decades ago.

In terms of snow/cold combo, I don't think we are going to see anything like 02-03 again any time soon or even in our lifetimes..

In terms of snow/cold combo, I don't think we are going to see anything like 02-03 again any time soon or even in our lifetimes..

The only thing that gives me any hope is the extreme cold that russia has had the last couple. Even china and europe for that matter (just not as extreme from what I've seen). NH longwave circ has had them in the crosshairs for extended cold. If the other side had been warm like our side the last 5-10 years I would be pretty concerned. Northern Alaska was brutally cold this winter too.

I suppose the unknown part is the delivery of the cold. Has the over NH pattern shifted in such a way that won't get cold down to our latitude anymore? Time will tell. It is a bit ironic that we basically got skunked in the cities and we've had an aob normal pattern for the last 8 weeks. heh. good times.

Bastardi is trying to claim this winter is like 02-03 and 09-10.

My sledding years were great years...often the less snowy winters were colder winters, so I we had more snowcover,....which is obviously a very important factor with sledding and playing in the snow....I was very fortunate to have awesome winters...only 1 winter sucked (80-81) and it was a prime sledding winter, but we did get 1 big enough snowfall that we went sledding and made a gigantic fort and another big enough to have a snowball fight....it wasnt 2001-02 bad, but wasnt good either....I remember 77-78 and PD2...and 81-82 was sick...pond frozen over 

Bucks County PA

76-77 - 21"
77-78 - 57"

78-79 - 31"

79-80 - 16"

Annandale, VA (Off Wakefield Chapel)

80-81 - 4"

81-82 - 30"

82-83 - 35"
83-84 - 15"
84-85 - 10"
85-86 - 17"
86-87 - 35"
87-88 - 20"
88-89 - 10"
89-90 - 25"

As you've noted, '81-'82 is an under-rated winter...... one of our top recent winters for snow-cover days, at least in the suburbs, with numerous accumulating snows throughout the season. IAD had more 1" snow-cover days that winter than 78/79. January had half a month of snow cover. Though February wasn't a great month snow-wise, there were still multiple accumulating events. 

As you've noted, '81-'82 is an under-rated winter...... one of our top recent winters for snow-cover days, at least in the suburbs, with numerous accumulating snows throughout the season. IAD had more 1" snow-cover days that winter than 78/79. January had half a month of snow cover. Though February wasn't a great month snow-wise, there were still multiple accumulating events. 

It was good for all of I-95

nonstop sledding...everything frozen over...82-83 was special because of the KU, but 81-82 was probably a better sledding winter..I was out there everyday after school 

It was good for all of I-95

nonstop sledding...everything frozen over...82-83 was special because of the KU, but 81-82 was probably a better sledding winter..I was out there everyday after school 

1982-1983would have been a bad year except for the big storm.  1981-1982 was a better overall year.  Plus I missed our week or so of winter in 1983. 

I'd like a year with lots of 4-8 inch events like we got in the 60s. 

Alot of people forget how cold '02-'03 was. It was actually colder than '93-'94 in BOS...also colder than '76-'77. You have to go back to 1970-1971 to get a colder winter at BOS. It really wasn't that cold nationally though...just brutally cold in the northeast. For the state of Maryland, you have to go back to 1978-1979 to get a winter colder than '02-'03....so it was pretty special for the northeast despite it not being cold elsewhere.

We'll get another winter at least similar to that I'm sure. '09-'10 was almost there, but it was a bit too Atlantic-dominant for better cold in the northeast...it was more based in the central/southern US. It was a far colder winter overall in the US vs '02-'03. They just are tougher to come by these days.

Archived