• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Significant Ocean Storm March 5-7 2013 Discussion Part II

earthlight

When does the next model of importance come out? I guess it's possible that really a verdict won't be in until very late tonight or tomorrow with Long Island/ NYC poised to get anywhere from 1 to 12 inches, right? Just curious too, what is the total projected QPF for KNYC and KJFK? Also, this is at least a 24 hour event if not 36 hours, right? I suppose no verdict is out there yet.

18z GFS, and it's rolling out now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GFS gets some better precip into the area but it's warm through hr 36. Keeps the best precip and dynamics offshore. It trended towards the NAM. It was almost there but just a tad too slow with interaction and that kicker or whatever you want to call it doesn't interact in time favorably.

The 18z GFS gets some better precip into the area but it's warm through hr 36. Keeps the best precip and dynamics offshore. It trended towards the NAM. It was almost there but just a tad too slow with interaction and that kicker or whatever you want to call it doesn't interact in time favorably.

That blob is really affecting the precip shield. Still don't trust the GFS because of it.

That blob is really affecting the precip shield. Still don't trust the GFS because of it.

For the 2/8 storm the GFS had these same errors right up until the storm started, causing it to have a sheared out mess here when even the radar showed it much differently. The upper air trends are often more reliable.

matching th 18Z 36 hr with the 12Z 42 hr, there is little if any difference with the placement of the SLP...yet the qpf distribution is vastly different. The mid and upper levels are basically spot on as well.

For the 2/8 storm the GFS had these same errors right up until the storm started, causing it to have a sheared out mess here when even the radar showed it much differently. The upper air trends are often more reliable.

Yep, it's doing the same damn thing. I won't analyze the upper levels, since I'm no weather guru, but the surface looks messed up much like it did for 2/8

It's not good enough at 500 for us. Still way south and east from what would be preferable.

Can anyone explain to my newbie self why the gfs qpf looks so different from the nam?

several reasons: less northern stream interaction, convective feedback issues (improper presentation of precipitation) , differences in the ULL (upper level low), blocking differences, to name a few

Archived