wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Significant Ocean Storm March 5-7 2013 Discussion Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw...when the GFS changed its mind, the ensembles didn't give such an idea they were going to head that way. For several runs in a row there were no misses for our area. While the GEFS ended up trending slightly drier, to my recollection they remained mostly hits and relatively wet through 00z last night (just checked). There wasn't any indication precip would be cut by more than half by 06z and 12z today. Except that qpf blob over the gulfstream. Anyway my point is that if the GFS is going to be more amped up again, looking at the ensembles may not give us any additional clue to what to expect for the 00z or 06z gfs runs

Guess I'll be up to 1AM tonight to see the EURO, just hoping for NYC and surroundings a colder and wetter solution prevails with 1 inch QPF and a solid 10 inches. Not expecting a blizzard warning or two feet of snow. As long as it's plowable, deep and pretty I'll be happy, i like long duration events too, so as long as it's a 24- 36 hour frozen (mainly snow) event I'm happy. Just amazing with the unceratinty with less than 15-24 hours before the onset of the precipitation.

For NYC

GEFS .75

Sref. 1.25

Euro .75 total

RGEM .75

Nam 2 .

Trying to figure out how much is rain vs snow and which QPF to use if you had to Craft a private forecast for the next 24 hours must b fun.

Rgem is close to 25mm through hour 54. 18z Rgem goes to hour 54.

So it's 1".

For NYC

GEFS .75

Sref. 1.25

Euro .75 total

RGEM .75

Nam 2 .

Trying to figure out how much is rain vs snow and which QPF to use if you had to Craft a private forecast for the next 24 hours must b fun.

not to split hairs, and it is probably irrelevant but the rgem is about 20-22mm for NYC (0.8) and it is assumed more would fall past that with the inverted trough. Just saying. As for what percentage is frozen, all you can really say is that most guidance has the majority frozen, the only question is timing, and precip rate to determine amounts. So this time (as I'm sure you already have deduced) it's not just 0.75=7.5 in of snow. 

edit: nvm ag3 beat me to the bunch...through 54 rgem is about 1in

Archived