northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Early March threats - Mar 1st-8th Period

free_man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DT tossing gfs of course lol. He's saying our upstate NY vort is a fake. 

That feature is actually the same one parked just SE of Cape Cod right now.  It rotates up and around before getting shunted west.  It'd be one of the craziest evolutions I've ever seen, but the UK and GGEM give it some credence.

1 point.  Probably a key point in what the vortmax SE of Cape Cod does later starts now in how strong it is.  The NAM I believe without a doubt initialized way too weak with that feature.  GFS was better, doesn't mean it'll be right later in the run and that'll end up in NY, but the NAM is likely far too weak for whatever reason.  That's unusual, normally the GFS is more muted with those features.

This reminds me of when the GFS went nuts for a few runs pretty close in on the Feb 16-17 event for E MA. Obviously different setup, but it did this like 48 hours out and ended up being wrong.

Just how variable is that feature to our nw that the gfs uses to pull it into a monster for us? From what I'm reading on here it sounds Like the other 00z runs incorporated it a bit more than 12z, but clearly not with the gfs results lol. How tough would it be to get that to happen?

1 point.  Probably a key point in what the vortmax SE of Cape Cod does later starts now in how strong it is.  The NAM I believe without a doubt initialized way too weak with that feature.  GFS was better, doesn't mean it'll be right later in the run and that'll end up in NY, but the NAM is likely far too weak for whatever reason.  That's unusual, normally the GFS is more muted with those features.

4km was fine, and it still never gets it back into New England like the GFS.

Just how variable is that feature to our nw that the gfs uses to pull it into a monster for us? From what I'm reading on here it sounds Like the other 00z runs incorporated it a bit more than 12z, but clearly not with the gfs results lol. How tough would it be to get that to happen?

Its not the only reason the GFS is north, but its one of them. GFS isn't as slow with the whole ULL either. But getting other guidance to do what the GFS does is probably pretty difficult given the time frame involved. Not impossible as we did see some trends that way, but we we need more than baby steps in the next run or two. Baby steps won't cut it.

I know where my bets would be, lol.

It will probably be a compromise weighted toward the Euro like it is almost every single time.

Yeah agree. I guess the one thing this has going is that the conveyor belt of moisture will extend so far NW..maybe we can get clipped with it. We'll see what the euro does..probably just comes a little NW..but I'd be shocked at a large jump. It's not just the low pressure location..it's the handling of the low and how it dumbells a lobe to our SE which helps aid in the dumping.

The GFS ensembles aren't really all that good either. They are supposed to add confidence to a forecast but I have noticed over the years they really don't a lot of the time.

They essentially mimick the OP run with a smoother look I've figured out once inside of 3 or 4 days. Looking at the individual members helps some, but I'll bet tonight almost all of them have a huge hit which really doesn't make me that much more confident...esp since the ensemble mean seems to shift almost as fast as the OP run from run to run.

The GFS ensembles aren't really all that good either. They are supposed to add confidence to a forecast but I have noticed over the years they really don't a lot of the time.

5-6 days out not one member had a hit for the blizz. It's closer now..but I still can't buy that.

Archived