Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late February/Early March Medium and Long Range Discussion Thread

Dsnowx53

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost all of the GFS ensembles show a coastal system at 192 Hr. I think it's time to throw away the idea of storm #1 and count on storm #2. Storm #1 is vital as it becomes the 50/50 low and forces the northern stream low to the coast with secondary or even primary redevelopment.

Almost all of the GFS ensembles show a coastal system at 192 Hr. I think it's time to throw away the idea of storm #1 and count on storm #2. Storm #1 is vital as it becomes the 50/50 low and forces the northern stream low to the coast with secondary or even primary redevelopment.

We've seen this before in recent big events, including Boxing Day. We missed out on a smaller coastal a few days before that moved into the 50/50 postion. Lots of blizzards for New England on the individual members and a few close misses for NYC.

We've seen this before in recent big events, including Boxing Day. We missed out on a smaller coastal a few days before that moved into the 50/50 postion. Lots of blizzards for New England on the individual members and a few close misses for NYC.

set up was somewhat different though.  the ridge out west was in much more favorable position.

set up was somewhat different though. the ridge out west was in much more favorable position.

While that is true, we are in March now where our wavelengths are shorter than they are in December. Thus, you can more easily get away with having a ridge east of its ideal position.

While that is true, we are in March now where our wavelengths are shorter than they are in December. Thus, you can more easily get away with having a ridge east of its ideal position.

I was thinking the same exact thing, but I was afraid to post it, considering the cruddy input I had recently. I guess it is plausible.

I was thinking the same exact thing, but I was afraid to post it, considering the cruddy input I had recently. I guess it is plausible.

likewise it is this type of sub-seasonal variables which has been proposed to answer why short team seasonal forecasts can easily bust , as wavelengths can have a strong effect on pattern set ups, such as PNA in late Feb and beyond

It's a damn potent S/W. However, the 50/50 low's confluence along with poor WAA and rising of heights over the SE prevent it from really spreading its wings. A day or two ago, the S/W was being aided by a peice of weaker energy in the STJ...it's nowhere to be found now.

The wave is going to be there...I think the question is right now is if it will get shredded to bits. 

JB s first stab at the middle of  next weeks system is for 3-6 with locally 8 from  the Ohio Valley to the Mid Atlantic and then the Northeast , just thought I would post his idea .

There is a system around the day 15 range on the Control that has his interest .

That one he seems to think can deepen into something that should really be the focus around here  .

Just his thinking for those who care  . 

It's nice for the modeled pattern to actually produce a huge snowstorm at the surface on a model run for once. The other two "threats" never showed much for us at the surface during any run. 

Of course, one run in itself doesn't mean that much. But it does tell you that the laws of physics do theoretically support a snowstorm.

Combine this with the GFS being too far SE, and we can lock this one up! :P 

The winter of 08-09 was generally a very progressive/nina "type" winter, but in early March, we were actually able to capitalize on a "bad" pattern because of the shorter wavelengths. Of course, that storm screwed over some people, but it was still a pretty widespread event. 

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be at all concerned about the fact that the ridge out west rolls east as this event develops. But it's less of a concern than it normally would be. As long as we can get that messy energy offshore to move out of the way, heights will rise out ahead of our shortwave and it can slow down, giving time for the block to do its work and force the Lakes energy southward and into our shortwave.

On this run, the ridge out west moves eastward, but because of the block and the energy in the Lakes, it comes to a halt. The ridge and the energy in the Lakes make a collision of sorts, which actually helps to make the flow more meridional. That combined with the block makes it very easy for the Lakes energy to dive down into our shortwave when it's in Missouri. From then, the storm just absolutely takes off. 

On this run, the ridge out west moves eastward, but because of the block and the energy in the Lakes, it comes to a halt. The ridge and the energy in the Lakes make a collision of sorts, which actually helps to make the flow more meridional. That combined with the block makes it very easy for the Lakes energy to dive down into our shortwave when it's in Missouri. From then, the storm just absolutely takes off.

If we were to get a storm, the middle of next week is the absolute perfect timeframe. Like you said the ridge out west moving east wouldn't be a concern. There is a monster 50/50 low just east of NF and plenty of blocking over eastern Canada. A cut off "bowling ball" scenario would be very likely if that setup is correct.

Archived