Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late February/Early March Medium and Long Range Discussion Thread

Dsnowx53

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks moderators for clearing up some of the garbage posts in the last five minutes, it's greatly appreciated.

You would like to see the coastal retrograde more to keep the door open for another threat down the road. At hr 198 there is more energy diving down he backside of the trough but the entire axis by this point is well east and it's going to be OTS.

You have to wonder if the weak MJO pulse into phase 6 next week could make this come further west

by imparting just enough of a SE Ridge offshore for this to turn the corner sooner?

The Euro has the upper level low centered just east of Chicago at 500mb at 114 hours. I think the positioning around that time frame and moving forward from there will be critical. It shifts to near Detroit by 132 and the very robust southern stream vort is near the MS River. So it literally hooks around towards New England and then phases into a powerful 500mb low.

JMA would probably end up showing a colossal hit...but it's the JMA ;) At least the models are starting to consolidate on threats...Before today it was just jumbled pieces of energy all over the place.

The 168hr frame is a 968ish bomb east of the BM.

That's an all star team of analogs we have working for us at the moment, my goodness.

Yeah, it sure is. One of the biggest hits for that composite that I can remember  was when I believe it had a famous New England tornado

analog date over a week ahead the Springfield, Mass tornado in June 2011.

Yeah, it sure is. One of the biggest hits for that composite that I can remember  was when I believe it had a famous New England tornado

analog date over a week ahead the Springfield, Mass tornado in June 2011.

You're starting to get me excited for severe weather season ;)

Since its technically long range discussion (pushing it, I know) I was talking to forky earlier today about how it's been a while since we've seen a well organized, widespread severe weather event in our area with one of the "classic" squall lines. I can remember as a kid, watching The Weather Channel or Metro Weather radar on TV and seeing the squall lines in the summer come crashing through all the way from PA/NY. We had a quite a run in the early 2000's and it's been pretty putrid since then in comparison.

Anyway -- the analogs can be hit or miss despite often being a great tool. We saw them printing out Dec 26 2010 several times earlier this year in the top 5 analogs inside 6-8 days and the results obviously weren't there. So using them carefully, and correctly, is equally as important.

we need the system on wednesday to trend weaker or move east for us to have a better chance

feb 2010 had an initial wave before the main event on the 25th. it was weak enough to allow the system behind it to amplify

And that initial wave was still a decent hit for the NW burbs..

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormEvents/storm02242010.html

That's an all star team of analogs we have working for us at the moment, my goodness.

Was about to say the same thing, earthlight.  I vividly recall watching the 2/26/10 storm retrograde and would happily welcome an encore.  I realize it's just one run for an event that is a week away, but am I dreaming?  Will be in NYC during that period as well. :weight_lift:

Archived