• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential Storm 2/17-2/19

Snow_Miser

Hostly, though, having the NOGAPS doing what it is doing right now really causes you to stop and wonder what the heck is going on.  Then you add the Canadian to that and it really makes you take pause.  For goodness sake, usually the NOGAPS can't produce any storms at all, and if it does, it is the one way the heck out to sea.  I don't know what to think other than that the potential is definitely still there.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True but you can't disregard a winter just because your backyard does not get snow. It has been unlucky around here lately between last year and this year. NYC did okay'ish with Nemo but not enough to salvage this winter. Several other places such as Italy and Russia are getting historical snows. The potential is there....our bad luck cannot continue forever.

There's no reason why it can't continue and continue for multiple winters for years. Look at pretty much all of the 80's. Look at the late 90's. Look at the 70's other than the end of the decade. Look it was nice to get a decent hit from Nemo and 2000-20011 were solid for most of the winters so I have no complaints. I understand other regions are racking it up but this is the NYC region we are posting about so my comments, while banter, are appropriate here. Mods, this is banter so feel free to move it there. Sorry about this.

Hostly, though, having the NOGAPS doing what it is doing right now really causes you to stop and wonder what the heck is going on. Then you add the Canadian to that and it really makes you take pause. For goodness sake, usually the NOGAPS can't produce any storms at all, and if it does, it is the one way the heck out to sea. I don't know what to think other than that the potential is definitely still there.

. The fact that the euro and gfs both agree that this is a total non event less than 4 days out is a bad thing, real bad. The chances of them both being dead wrong and a far less superior model like the nogaps having the handle on this is very slim, this is quickly turning into a lost cause

The difference is the GFS and Euro continue with the theme that the northern branch feature is the stronger of the 2 sws and once to the coast , it pulls the trough axis east . so when the Southern SW is in the slots its 200 miles east of HATT .( TOO LATE )

All year the Northern features have weakened as they have come east .

I made this argument last week . every clipper that swung through the area was a shell of itself from what it was modeled 3- 4 days before .

Last week the GFS didnt come around to the southern short wave being the strongest until 2 days before .Now they both may be doing it .

The models without this bias are seeing development closer to the coast .

So until you see which feature is stronger , nothing is off the table ..

Did you live in the area during the 1993-94 and the 1995-96 winters? Multiple wintry storms occurred multiple times in a week plenty:

Happened in other years too:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/

Winter 1993-1994

Snow storm, December 29-30, 1993

Ice storm, January 3-4, 1994

Ice storm, January 7-8, 1994

Snow and ice storm, January 17-18, 1994

Snow storm, January 25-26, 1994

Snow and ice storm, February 8-9, 1994

Snow and ice storm, February 11, 1994

Snow and ice storm, February 23-24, 1994

Snow and ice storm, March 2-3, 1994

Snow storm, March 18, 1994

Winter 1995-1996

Snow storm, November 28-29, 1995

Snow storm, December 9, 1995

Snow and ice storm, December 14, 1995

Snow storm, December 16, 1995

Snow and ice storm, December 18-20, 1995

Ice storm, January 2-3, 1996

Blizzard, January 7-8, 1996

Snow and ice storm, January 12, 1996

Snow storm, February 2-3, 1996

Snow storm, February 16-17, 1996

Snow storm, March 2, 1996

Snow and ice storm, March 7-8, 1996

Snow storm, April 9-10, 1996

I was lucky to get some footage of each event when I lived in Brooklyn...It still didn't beat the period from January 8th to Feb. 7th, 1978...There were six major storms in that period...

date...precip...snowfall...

1/08-09...1.15".....1.0"...

1/13-14...1.37".....3.0"

1/17-18...1.93".....1.7"

1/19-20...1.50"...13.6"

1/25-26...2.25".......0

2/06-07...1.13"...17.7"

True but you can't disregard a winter just because your backyard does not get snow. It has been unlucky around here lately between last year and this year. NYC did okay'ish with Nemo but not enough to salvage this winter. Several other places such as Italy and Russia are getting historical snows. The potential is there....our bad luck cannot continue forever.

I'm personally over 20" now for the winter, not bad at all for this area. I'd say there's a notable chance I reach 30" if the pattern coming up can produce, and if this storm tomorrow night works out somehow. Dec-Jan were horrendous, but like we very often have, the bulk of the action comes over a few week or month period. Even 2010-11's action mostly happened over the course of 1 month. Early December and February were yawners.

When was the last time the NYC Metro Area had TWO blizzards or even major snowstorms within a week of each other? I'll take "never" for $500, Alex.

1926 and 1994 the first part of February...as far as 10" snowfalls in the same winter I did a post in the other thread about that...

having two blizzards or major snowstorms in the same season is very rare...it's hard enough to get one...many of these winters had mucho events that grazed the area or wasn't a big storm...The winters with two major storms near 10" or more...

1895-96...both came in March...

1898-99...November and February...

1913-14...February and March...

1925-26...both came in February...

1933-34...December and February...

1959-60...December and March...

1960-61...December, January and February...

1966-67...February and March...

1977-78...January and February...

1995-96...January and February...

2003-04...December and January...

2009-10...December and two in February...

2010-11...December and January...

the winters with a foot or more is even less...

1959-60...the December 59 storm had a small area of a foot or more...March was wide spread...

1960-61...December and February...

1977-78...January and February...

2010-11...December and January...

No the brunt of it was suppose to hit to our south

If I remember correctly, the ECMWF was the model that nailed the 96 blizzard 7 days out. It was either the 3rd or 4th day before the storm where the MRF lost it and the media said it would head out to sea. Just 36 hours before the event, the AVN and ETA models brought it back.

Archived