Newest Member
    joxey
Clipper Threat 1/21/13-1/22/13

AlexD

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That event gave Chester County PA - 2.2" of snow

You were almost exactly right...the 9th...this looks like it...

edit...definitely  it....KNEL reported 5 inches...

METAR KNEL 091228Z 29005KT 3SM -SHSN SCT020 OVC030 02/01 A2973 RMK SLP068 T00210008

METAR KNEL 091255Z 29006KT 4SM -SHSN BR SCT020 OVC030 02/01 A2973 RMK SLP068 T00170007

METAR KNEL 091355Z 31006KT 5/8SM SHSN BR OVC010 01/01 A2976 RMK SLP079 T00140006

METAR KNEL 091655Z 32006KT 1SM -SHSN BR OVC005 01/01 A2980 RMK SLP091 T00080006 LSR// BA POOR

METAR KNEL 091755Z 33007KT 1SM -SN BR BKN005 OVC008 01/01 A2980 RMK SLP091 6008/ 4/005 8/5// T00130012 LSR// BA

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1996/us1209.php

the euro is either dry or less than .05 for the clipper.

I think as dry as it is, the apps could chew up whatever moisture comes from the clipper. It seems that the wetter models come off the low off the coast throwing back precip. That's what we need to bank on.

This one is convective, I bet there are TT(s) on the nam over 50.  So a few (but not most) are going to do better.  Looks like there is alot of love for Monmouth County so far.

yawn....

wouldn't be surprised if areas that get under that inverted trough feature see something.

An interesting thing I'm noticing is the nice MPV anomalies showing up on the SREF guidance in the low-mid levels. A decent convective signal is showing up as this passes through. It could bring a quick covering to the area between 00z-06z.

An interesting thing I'm noticing is the nice MPV anomalies showing up on the SREF guidance in the low-mid levels. A decent convective signal is showing up as this passes through. It could bring a quick covering to the area between 00z-06z.

i take it that's for areas more TTN north?

i take it that's for areas more TTN north?

It looks like it will take on a convective / summertime line of thunderstorms type of look. So even though the window is brief and the snow squalls won't last long south of TTN, they could be particularly intense. I think a lot of people are going to enjoy these things tomorrow evening.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=nam-hires&area=namer&param=sim_reflectivity&cycle=12ℑ=nam-hires%2F12%2Fnam-hires_namer_039_sim_reflectivity.gif. NAM sim radar shows it as well

Well it is silly to try to guess what an areal averaged accumulation will be when we are dealing with something like this. Issues like temperatures could become a problem with a faster arrival of the squalls for example. But anyway, MPV in a favorable jet / gradient means that a low is going to take shape and give quite the rotation on the radar as the system leaves. This is why model QPF increases as you head into NE NJ / NYC, where frontogenesis help and vorticity may keep snow bands going. The other issue will be who gets into the heavier bursts and who misses...just like in the summer.

So, keep expectations low and just hope for the best.

Are there going to temp issues upstairs with tomorrow's "event"? Here is my local NWS forecast and it indicates some rain may fall.

M.L.King Day:  Rain and snow showers likely before 4pm, then snow showers. High near 28. West wind around 7 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Are there going to temp issues upstairs with tomorrow's "event"? Here is my local NWS forecast and it indicates some rain may fall.

M.L.King Day:  Rain and snow showers likely before 4pm, then snow showers. High near 28. West wind around 7 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Reading CTP's AFD says they are worried about the surface.  Might just be a mis-gridded p-type.

Archived