joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/15-1/16 waves of wintry "potential"

tombo82685

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have fun with the sloppy wintry mix south of the 2-4" line. I'll be enjoying a nice cold rain IMBY :P

attachicon.gif20130115-16_MAsnowFinal.png

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/blog/16/entry-27-mid-atlantic-snow-forecast-for-january-15-16-onlyfinal/

i think thats a pretty solid map. I'm not expecting much here besides a little sleet and i could see the mid levels hurting the lehigh valley on snowfall

Have fun with the sloppy wintry mix south of the 2-4" line. I'll be enjoying a nice cold rain IMBY :P

attachicon.gif20130115-16_MAsnowFinal.png

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/blog/16/entry-27-mid-atlantic-snow-forecast-for-january-15-16-onlyfinal/

Agree... solid.  Nice call.  Will be interesting to see if prolonged ice in northern MontCo, northern Bucks areas will necessitate a WWA also.  I-78 looks like the battle zone.

Agree... solid.  Nice call.  Will be interesting to see if prolonged ice in northern MontCo, northern Bucks areas will necessitate a WWA also.  I-78 looks like the battle zone.

This is my concern as well. I have a straight shot up either 476 or 309 to get to work in Allentown. I may work from home tomorrow.

Latest RPM has snow/mix from Quakertown/Pennsburg northward and 1-2" and looks realistic.  To be honest, matches Ellinwood's map pretty well.  2-4" range is just north of Allentown... south of I-80, but north of I-78.  Call it Lehighton to Nazareth line and points north.  Lollipop totals above 4" are in the eastern Poconos - Monroe/Pike counties into Sussex NJ with 4-6".

12z ECM came in warmer - and not sure if it is credible at this range (mixed feelings about that among mets and hobbyists) and screams PL/ZR at ABE, 546 thickness to Hazleton, PA.  Scranton/Wilkes-Barre does well. 

It looks like it is significantly off at initialization being wayyyyyyyy too warm.  Hour 6 is now and has 32 degree line in upstate NY.  Not sure how much of a downstream effect it has on this run, or even if the ECM should be considered short range.  It is about +3C too warm at SFC initialization and off with that line by a good 150 miles.  Could be the weenie in me reaching though...

Thanks Ray.  Any opinions on the ECM in response to what I wrote above with regard to initialization and do we consider it at this range?  Any merit to that or just a reach?

Ice storm warnings down in the deep south right now. I still think the freezing rain is being underplayed for the NW PHL burbs as is generally the case until < 3 hours before the event starts. I'd say freezing rain advisories might be issued to the NW of PHL given cooler surface temps. Soundings indicate a stubborn CAD signal with NELY low level winds and sfc temps around freezing through 10am tomorrow for those 10+ miles to the W/N of PHL. Philly itself will probably be 33 or 34 and rain.

Ice storm warnings down in the deep south right now. I still think the freezing rain is being underplayed for the NW PHL burbs as is generally the case until < 3 hours before the event starts. I'd say freezing rain advisories might be issued to the NW of PHL given cooler surface temps. Soundings indicate a stubborn CAD signal with NELY low level winds and sfc temps around freezing through 10am tomorrow for those 10+ miles to the W/N of PHL. Philly itself will probably be 33 or 34 and rain.

Models busting with the low level cold in KY now. 

Thanks Ray.  Any opinions on the ECM in response to what I wrote above with regard to initialization and do we consider it at this range?  Any merit to that or just a reach?

EC has a tendency to be a bit warm at the surface.  Not a big bias, but 1-3F is not uncommon.

Models busting with the low level cold in KY now. 

Interesting. From my recollection, most of our ice events tend to be "sneaky" in that the extent/strength of the cold air damming isn't detected until we're on top of the event or nowcasting.

I'm not saying we're looking at an all out ice storm as I don't think there's sufficient sfc high pressure up north. But I do think we'll see more ZR than expected for the interior.

I think the advisory layout is appropriate. Wouldn't surprise if the rest of the N/W counties (Bucks, Mont, Ches) were added but I think they're good where they are at now.

Probably a situ where the immediate suburbs hang at 32 while UKT and PTW get to 31.

Key to note that the NAM shows most of the precip falling with temps at/above 32 at PTW.  A little bit while below.

Archived