joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/15-1/16 waves of wintry "potential"

tombo82685

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least the euro is wetter, I just hope temps cool a little more.

Yea, it would be nice. But wetter means warmer, stronger storm is going to flex that se ridge. Good thing is we still got 2 days plus to see what happens. Could go either way. This looks to be a latitude storm, more latitude better shot at frozen.

Yea, it would be nice. But wetter means warmer, stronger storm is going to flex that se ridge. Good thing is we still got 2 days plus to see what happens. Could go either way. This looks to be a latitude storm, more latitude better shot at frozen.

Yea, at least it something to track.  The fog and drizzle is getting old fast.

Man just a slight shift south in euro temps with how much QPF has and it gets interesting for the city. Defiantly going to be interesting to see where this one ends up in the end result. That strong jet on the Models sure making things interesting in the QPF department.

one thing that worries me is that se ridge is going to fight and you are seeing this with the bump north with the storm. 

6z nam and GFS continues keeping the 2nd wave a bit more juiced. However, also warmer. I believe even chesco, montgo, bucks SE is rain on the 6z GFS...

Just saw the 0z euro snowfall map for 2nd wave, brings 1-3" for i-95 verbatim. Not sure if that algorithm is correct. Thicknesses looks fairly high for SE PA on that run. ON closer inspection, 850's barely reach Northern montgo /bucks county. So maybe some low level cold hanging in there(below 850) doubt it though, with the high thickness. We can dream.

Not expecting much for Delco/Philly immediate burbs.

12z a smidge warmer than 6z, which was a bump northward from the colder 00z NAM.

sounding wise, once to the ukt-ptw line its frozen. Here is the skew t for ptw at hr 48. I don't really trust the nam honestly. I could see this trending both ways. As phlwx said, you can't really trust the models right now every run a solution is different. For the record though, which is probably the usual outcome on a scenario like it, but all the 6z gefs were colder than the op.

130114144841.gif

sounding wise, once to the ukt-ptw line its frozen. Here is the skew t for ptw at hr 48 I don't really trust the nam honestly. I could see this trending both ways. As phlwx said, you can't really trust the models right now every run a solution is different. For the record tough, which is probably the usual outcome on a scenario like it but all the 6z gefs were colder than the op.

130114144841.gif

I learned living in the southern US that whenever you see W-SW flow in the mid-levels the models severely underdo the estimated WAA...this is an event I think will be frozen for alot of areas but more likely be PL or FZRA, its very unlikely at 48-72 hours if you see that marginal of a setup at 700-850 with SW flow that the temps do not verifiy 1-2C warmer in the end.  The low-level cold air as usual is probably being underestimated a bit by the models.

this is gonna be frustrating to watch...

antedecent airmass is, well, yucky.... The 12z NAM does inhibit the punch of warm air to the immediate delco/philly burbs, whereas the 6z GFS punches it back towards reading. It's something to watch, and see who wins. SOmeone could get the sleet jackpot!!

I learned living in the southern US that whenever you see W-SW flow in the mid-levels the models severely underdo the estimated WAA...this is an event I think will be frozen for alot of areas but more likely be PL or FZRA, its very unlikely at 48-72 hours if you see that marginal of a setup at 700-850 with SW flow that the temps do not verifiy 1-2C warmer in the end.  The low-level cold air as usual is probably being underestimated a bit by the models.

yea well we learned that lesson to on the event before christmas. Where all the models had a decent front end thump before over to ice and rain.

this is gonna be frustrating to watch...

Can't get cold with the polar jet northwest of us.  Weaker wave 1 does not bode well either, doesn't push the baroclinic zone farther south. 

Here is the outcome south and east of the fall line:

post-623-0-06458000-1358176461_thumb.jpg

SREF ptype pops for ABE by Wednesday morning are about 1/3rd everything across the board.  Snow average around an inch.  Two members have 4-5 inches.

Can't get cold with the polar jet northwest of us.  Weaker wave 1 does not bode well either, doesn't push the baroclinic zone farther south. 

Here is the outcome south and east of the fall line:

attachicon.giftrainwreck.jpg

SREF ptype pops for ABE by Wednesday morning are about 1/3rd everything across the board.  Snow average around an inch.  Two members have 4-5 inches.

hahaha i would even go to the point saying its that from south of the mdt to smq line

Can we get a event where we don't worry about mid levels. December 29th all over again. Ugh lol

Honestly, this was a thread the needle to begin with. It had a very narrow frozen zone of precip which at the time was over us. Like most swfe it trended north. The 12z gfs track isn't really that great of a track for i95 or nw of there especially with a stagnant airmass. 

Honestly, this was a thread the needle to begin with. It had a very narrow frozen zone of precip which at the time was over us. Like most swfe it trended north. The 12z gfs track isn't really that great of a track for i95 or nw of there especially with a stagnant airmass.

Gfs says all rain. Oh well. Hopefully going forward our luck changes

Archived