Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

IWXwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ETAXX?

That sounds like some sort of computer virus...

It kind of was, lol. Pretty bad model. It was the extended portion of the old ETA model. Sorta like the DGEX today. Could find on it on DTX's website back in the day. Not 100% sure if they ran it or not. 

One more OT, but some of us old timers will get a kick out this...an article from USA Today talking about "current"/"new" computer models: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/wmodlist.htm

This comment in the article was clairvoyant.

It is still too early to tell which of the medium range models performs the best. Each of the medium range models has its own strengths and weaknesses. However, the higher resolution of the European models may lead to a better long term performance record.

One more OT, but some of us old timers will get a kick out this...an article from USA Today talking about "current"/"new" computer models: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/wmodlist.htm

This comment in the article was clairvoyant.

It is still too early to tell which of the medium range models performs the best. Each of the medium range models has its own strengths and weaknesses. However, the higher resolution of the European models may lead to a better long term performance record.

Isn't it true that the EURO is better? It seems to be more accurate. It seems many NWS offices rely on it heavily. Of course it has it's biases, like hanging energy back in the SW.

Isn't it true that the EURO is better? It seems to be more accurate. It seems many NWS offices rely on it heavily. Of course it has it's biases, like hanging energy back in the SW.

Yep, its skill scores/errors are consistently higher/lower. It's kinda like combat...it will lose some battles along the way but it wins the war.

Nice.

After looking at the GFS, I say "No thanks, I'll pass." That looks like the ultimate snow eating thaw. Drizzle, probably fog, and then a nice big rainfall.

Outside of those who enjoy watching severe wx events on radar 100s of miles away ( and perhaps a few in IA/WI )  i think most will pass on  the GFS type outcome.

Could be a flood threat if the GFS/GGEM verify. This water won't get absorbed well with the frozen ground.

Seeing the Low taking the typical tack up through Lake Michigan makes me nervous that this could easily be reality. Hre isto hoping the NAM verifies with the other typical track from the past winters of a weak low passing on by.

Well Lake Michigan would not be an issue to speak of if that happened.

Yeah no thanks on the GFS solution for Tuesday.

I think what would save us more too is the consistent SSW to NNE movement, whereas the NE to E trek of the Solstice storm shortened the precip duration and the early occlusion wasn't great for precip type around here.

The UKMET is also similar to the GGEM only it drops the low to 970 in the same location/time. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see the Euro cave tonight toward the other solution.

00z Euro looks like another step away from the cutoff solution so far at 72 hours. Whether it will be enough for a big storm, we'll see.

00z Euro looks like another step away from the cutoff solution so far at 72 hours. Whether it will be enough for a big storm, we'll see.

It didn't.  It looked close, I thought that low in Kansas at 72-84 hours had potential, but alas, certainly from a snow perspective, it squandered its opportunity on the Euro.

The ECMWF is having issues. The STJ low was actually in Mexico lol.

Yeah the Southern stream low doesn't match the trough location. The run was a hard trend toward the GFS with respect to the upper air pattern, the surface pattern though doesn't make a bit of sense compared to the trough.

Archived