SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential record warmth

SACRUS

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z data is trending toward an idea of keeping the > +10c 850's south of the Mason Dixon line, which would generally save the Northeast from major torching. Hopefully we can see this continue. Right now it looks like 50-55F will be the maximum temperatures for NYC northeastward. I could see PHL making 60s and DCA approaching 70.

why do you say hopefully? dont get that at all? its going to be above normal anyway and in the mid 50s, why not just go all the way for 60s to 70 and a record high..something different in the weather world....50s is boring

The Euro is warmer for Monday, but the DGEX is hinting that Toms River 

tries to make it to 70 degrees. Often the DGEX can get the day wrong

but see the correct temperature signal. Once we get inside 72 hrs

we should get good agreement on how far north the warm sector gets.

The Euro is warmer for Monday, but the DGEX is hinting that Toms River 

tries to make it to 70 degrees. Often the DGEX can get the day wrong

but see the correct temperature signal. Once we get inside 72 hrs

we should get good agreement on how far north the warm sector gets.

attachicon.giff096.gif

I've noticed this with the DGEX as well; it's usually good with determining the maximum warmth potential, definitely better than the GFS 2m temps, but can get the day wrong or sometimes exaggerate how far the warmth spreads into the Northeast. It wouldn't surprise me seeing 70 degrees make it to DC with mid 60s in Philly, although the NYC area is more borderline for the weekend; I'm currently thinking at least mid 50s for NYC, but there's still room for adjustments. The ECM also indicates Monday could be the warmest day if the cold front is slow enough.

Even if daytime temps aren't as warm, overnight lows should definitely play a role in ensuring temperatures are significantly warmer than average. Temperatures on Sunday night ahead of the cold front look to struggle dropping below the upper 40s-50 degrees - although Sunday night likely won't have much impact as minimum temps are counted for 12am-12am intervals, not overnight minimums, Saturday night should have lows in the 40s as well (warmer than the average highs), and assuming the cold front moves through on Monday, the lowest temps won't be until Tuesday morning. While it's going to be colder for the 2nd half of the month, it's going to be extremely difficult to reverse these positive departures by the end of the month.

18z GFS has us with clearing skies tomorrow, which could help us warm. If the sea breeze doesn't become too much of a factor, we might have mid and even some upper 50's tomorrow. Best chance for everyone to see 60's is Monday. Cloud cover percent here: http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/archive.shtml?text=KISP&run=2013011218

I think the idea of record warmth is going to bust however with onshore flow dominant until Monday and then the polar front arriving late Monday into Tuesday. There's just too short a window for warming.

I think the idea of record warmth is going to bust however with onshore flow dominant until Monday and then the polar front arriving late Monday into Tuesday. There's just too short a window for warming.

I agree record warmth won't happen. I never said it will. On shore flow is weak, winds only 5 to 10mph, from past experience, that won't lower our temps too much, at most by a degree or two. Most of the global models agree on the timing of arrival for the polar front ( around noon on Monday). Without the bulk of cold air arriving until Tuesday, I think we might have a chance to see 60's on Monday. 12z ECMWF has low 60's for us on Monday afternoon.

2mtemps12zecmwfmonday.jpg

I agree record warmth won't happen. I never said it will. On shore flow is weak, winds only 5 to 10mph, from past experience, that won't lower our temps too much, at most by a degree or two. Most of the global models agree on the timing of arrival for the polar front ( around noon on Monday). Without the bulk of cold air arriving until Tuesday, I think we might have a chance to see 60's on Monday. 12z ECMWF has low 60's for us on Monday afternoon.

I can see the marine layer trying to poke into Westchester on that map...looks more like mid 50s here in the northern suburbs rather than 60s. Also, the 18z GFS shows light precipitation almost all day Monday, and 850s are only 3C at 18z which is around peak heating in mid-winter. The front has been speeding up, which means that the warm 850s no longer coincide with the best time for solar heating. I'm thinking tomorrow is upper 40s and then maybe low 50s on Monday morning with the temperature dropping by late afternoon. Warm nights will give us significant positive departures, but not as much as once thought. High temperatures will certainly be a disappointment for those wanting extreme warmth. 

JFK has to potential tomorrow to approach or break their record high should we 

get a few breaks of sun just as the offshore flow begins with the FROPA. Too

many clouds would keep the potential to rank 2 or 3 for the day.

Top three warmest temps at JFK for January 14:

1/14

60 in 1950

58 in 1992

56 in 2005+

Another bust today...forecast high from NWS was 51F but I'm sitting at 45F with overcast skies. Not that much of a torch really...

Central NJ is getting some clearing and they are already in the mid 50's. Even the slightest clearing will raise temps dramatically. Sun trying to break through here on the south shore.

The warmth is also having some effects on nearby SSTs.  The buoy at the entrance to NY Harbor is reporting a water temp of 46F at this hour.  This is up from a low of 43F a few days ago (Jan 5th).  While this is still lower than the 48-49F that was being reported this time last year, it is much higher than the 40F that was reported on this day in 2011.

Park is nearing 50 right now.

This might not have been a massive torch, but the abnormally warm overnight mins continue.  We haven't been below 32F since 4am on Jan 4th.  By my count that is 226 hours, or nearly 9.5 days.  That's pretty ridiculous for the heart of winter.

+5.2 on the month so far isn't too shabby mostly as the result of the mild mins.

+5 on the month so far isn't too shabby mostly as the result of the mild mins.

These mins at DCA, PHL, and NYC/LGA/EWR are remarkable.

So far for Dec and Jan, the lowest temp recorded has been:

NYC: 22F

LGA: 23F

EWR: 24F

PHL: 25F

DCA: 27F

Now some other cities in the SE:

RIC: 22F

ORF (Norfolk): 25F

CLT: 21F

JAX: 27F

TLH (Tallahassee): 26F

BNA (Nashville): 21F

BHM: 26F

RDU: 25F

These mins at DCA, PHL, and NYC/LGA/EWR are remarkable.

So far for Dec and Jan, the lowest temp recorded has been:

NYC: 22F

LGA: 23F

EWR: 24F

PHL: 25F

DCA: 27F

Now some other cities in the SE:

RIC: 22F

ORF (Norfolk): 25F

CLT: 21F

JAX: 27F

TLH (Tallahassee): 26F

BNA (Nashville): 21F

BHM: 26F

RDU: 25F

This will be the first time NYC failed to drop below 20 degrees by mid-January since 2001-2002. 

The globe is warming at an incredible rate especially over the U.S. these past few years. Eventually temperature below 20 will be impossible to come by and then the average annual snowfall could rapidly drop off. 

100% agree, when was the last time we've seen widespread record breaking cold in the tri-state area compared to widespread record warmth?

100% agree, when was the last time we've seen widespread record breaking cold in the tri-state area compared to widespread record warmth?

I shouldn't say the globe has rapidly warmed these past few years, it's been more rising steadily but the U.S. has found itself to be in the hot spot of all this warming outside the much higher latitudes, which is just kind of terrible luck really.

Archived