joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/24-25 Light Snow?

hazwoper

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christmas surprise in the sense that in my 38 years I honestly can't think of one year where we had accumulating snowfall overnight Xmas eve into Xmas morning.

2002, the coastal that gave snow on the front end and backened on dec 24-25th. At my parents house in drexel hill we had an inch christmas eve...then it turned over to rain then back to snow that afternoon and got another half inch to inch

dec26_2002r1.gif

Tom - correct! That I do remember! It snowed Xmas eve and we had a quick coating before it turned to rain overnight. It was all gone by morning though. If the gfs is correct, this will be the first time that I have gone to be Xmas eve and woken up to snow falling and a blanket of white. Of course, this could all change, but trying to stay positive.

2002, the coastal that gave snow on the front end and backened on dec 24-25th. At my parents house in drexel hill we had an inch christmas eve...then it turned over to rain then back to snow that afternoon and got another half inch to inch

dec26_2002r1.gif

Yeah, I was in State College, PA at the time and got dumped on. I think close to 10"

Yeah, I was in State College, PA at the time and got dumped on. I think close to 10"

I remember that Christmas Day, as my wife was an EMT and was on call and it started switching over in the morning and boy when it switched it was awesome, seeing it rack up accumulations so quickly. That was something special that I'm not sure I will see that much again, think between 8-10 inches from what was reported around the area.

Christmas surprise in the sense that in my 38 years I honestly can't think of one year where we had accumulating snowfall overnight Xmas eve into Xmas morning.

This. I have only seen it snowing twice that i remember on christmas eve. Both times it had changed to rain by midnight and the snow was gone by morning, once in the 80's and in 2002. The 80's event received approximately 3" by 9pm changeover and was raining rather heavy by midnight

So quite the rare event for this climatology

We had 2 Xmas storms in the 60s that I can remember. Best storm was 1966. Started snowing around dawn on the 24'th. Cold with temperatures in the low to mid 20s. Snow was frustratingly light in the AM perhaps an inch by noon. Started to pick-up in the mid afternoon and snowed very heavily in the evening. Ended around 10-11. 13" at the airport. 17" at west chester. Xmax day was crystal clear but cold. Another was 1969 started snowing in mid afternoon on Xmas. Had about 5" by 11 PM when it changed to freezing rain and sleet.

Archived