northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 20-22 Winter Storm (Blizzard?) Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 28.37%. How did you come up with that percentage?

It's a pretty advanced algorithm I learned in my advanced meteorological forecasting class, I won't get into details but it basically takes a average of all current model outputs weighted based in the models known biases and strengths.

The 18z GFS really hammers SE Wi minus the lakeside area. Correct me if im wrong?

Lakeside areas get hit pretty hard, especially when you throw the wind wild card in. Might be delayed a bit, but there was mention from the MKX office of lake enhanced snow along the lake later on Thursday. +thunder.

custom IYBY forecast.....light/mod rain, dry slot, 1.5". Top gust 45 mph.

Should make working interersting.. High winds are always fun.... Would hate to see some power surge wreck the shiny new iMac the company sent me to do my work on......

New to this forum (ex Accu-weather) poster from southeast Michigan....

What are the chances that this thing continues south/east and gives southeast Mi at least a few inches?

The ECMWF remains the last standing in the southern solutions. Though most WFOs are proclaiming an early euro victory. The euro would give a chance of accumulating snow for most of SeMi. Although this would happen after an up-hill battle with rain and a dry slot. Bay City & Saginaw stand the best shot of getting a decent event. DTX pulled the 1-3" inch card this afternoon for the most of the region. Come tonight and the following 00z runs we should know if that was a good, or bad. This (GFS and NAM) is not a good track for most of southern lwr MI.

Usually once the low passes we end up getting wind and a few flurries, but nothing measurable in most cases...........

Sometimes all you will get is flurries, but I wouldnt say in "most cases", it varies each time. Every storm is different, it all depends how much moisture is in the wraparound or deform zone, and how much the lake get involved. We will probably not see any snow from the main storm so to speak, but at this far stage, the chances look quite good to get anywhere from a dusting to a few inches with wraparound and LES.

Eyeballing the 18z GFS ensembles, it looks like over half are still over or west of Chicago.

FWIW, 12z ensembles were all over or west of Chicago, majority being west.

I count two of the 18z members that are hits for Chicago. On the other hand, I see one that may bring mixing issues to MSP for a brief period of time. :lol:

Glass half full post.

Archived