Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 18-20 Winter Storm Discussion

Chicago WX

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's exciting any time the Euro shows strong solutions like the past couple runs but the lack of an artic jet connection is going to continue to bother me. This reeks of an instance where you have a small areas of +SN to the immediate west of the low as it bombs with a massive warm tongue...even for areas well to the north.

0 degree line way far north from the precip. I do think the GFS will get colder though due to the cold 850 MB temps. Always get dynamic cooling with these systems as well.

given the stream seperation and no deep cold air out ahead...I think it's pretty realistic that we'll be dealing with surface temps above freezing even for those getting snow...at least early on until heavy precip and cold air can filter in. There was a deep south snowstorm no that long ago where it was above freezing in Chicago and snowing in the south as 850s crashed.

given the stream seperation and no deep cold air out ahead...I think it's pretty realistic that we'll be dealing with surface temps above freezing even for those getting snow...at least early on until heavy precip and cold air can filter in. There was a deep south snowstorm no that long ago where it was above freezing in Chicago and snowing in the south as 850s crashed.

High elevation of NC should be watching this one.

I wouldn't be that concerned with surface temps progs right now. Yes, there isn't a lot of cold air around but it's not like you can't get a good snowstorm even with a temp hanging around 33 or 34 (as long as rates are good).

Of course and given the setup I think it's a good bet that it will be the case again. Outside some minor timing issues...the GFS isn't very far from cutting much further west similar to some of the Euro runs.

Of course and given the setup I think it's a good bet that it will be the case again. Outside some minor timing issues...the GFS isn't very far from cutting much further west similar to some of the Euro runs.

Yeah the GFS is all over the place when comparing the last like 4 runs at 144hr. Interested to see what the Euro does.

FWIW, the 00z Euro basically kept the entire state of IL above 32F during the event. I'd be much more concerned with where the 850 mb 0C line sets up but even that isn't a guarantee since there can be sneaky warm layers that aren't seen at that level.

before everyone laughs at the GFS.... I'm pretty sure I recall that of the rare times in the past that it has beaten up the euro, it is with these crazy southern bowling balls.

Just read a post from Tombo in the philly thread. Showed the 12zggem 180 hr....nothing nada zilch. Said precursor storm crushes the flow behind it. Makes you wonder if the trend will be the other direction on this one. I think everything hinges on the Dec 15th storm, strength, track etc.

This is the definition of positive thought right here people.

What's the JMA, Korean, and Brazilian got?

Just read a post from Tombo in the philly thread. Showed the 12zggem 180 hr....nothing nada zilch. Said precursor storm crushes the flow behind it. Makes you wonder if the trend will be the other direction on this one. I think everything hinges on the Dec 15th storm, strength, track etc.

I can tell that you're already getting nervous about this riding west. :P

Archived