• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central/Western Summer Medium/Long Range Discussions

Srain

It looks like we are going to see some WSR (Winter Storm Recon) for the Pacific this week...

18z GFS kinda went awry with the trough's evolution so I'm glad this is taking place.

I have strong suspicion that this recon led to the very nice consistency with the GFS on the 1/29-30 system.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I saw a hodograph just like that from the soundings I was browsing through. Impressive stuff, although plenty of time for that to change. Considering we're moving into mid February, it should begin to become easier to get instability/moisture into the warm sector, especially into Dixie Alley (at least going by climo).

From a dProg/dt perspective, last night's GFS is looking like an anomaly now. Tonight's run is back to the junky, positive-tilt trough configuration that earlier runs had. Cyclogenesis will be weak sauce in this scenario, meaning anemic low-level shear and weak convergence along the dryline. So, looking at the last six 00z/12z runs as an ensemble of sorts (haven't dug into the GEFS recently), I'm going to remain doubtful until I see more evidence in this system's favor.

EDIT: GGEM looking more solid still.

And the Euro is gaining in impressiveness every run...

It looks damn fine kinematically for Saturday this run. Moisture return remains to be seen. My greatest wish for this trough is copious QPF over a large swath of the southern Plains (especially W of I-35), but some early-season dryline sups would be nice too, regardless.

It looks damn fine kinematically for Saturday this run. Moisture return remains to be seen. My greatest wish for this trough is copious QPF over a large swath of the southern Plains (especially W of I-35), but some early-season dryline sups would be nice too, regardless.

Sunday looks fairly impressive as well as the vort max ejects out of the larger scale trough, puts a 50-60 kt LLJ with backing sfc winds over the Lower/Mid MS Valley.

12z gfs made a big jump towards what the euro has been showing for the late weekend storm...nice snowstorm for parts of nebraska up thru w/n wisconsin including areas of sd,ia & mn.

It has my attention. A lot of right things need to happen though. All models are notoriously bad at split flow phases with an active northern stream wave pattern. Better than nothing though.

It has my attention. A lot of right things need to happen though. All models are notoriously bad at split flow phases with an active northern stream wave pattern. Better than nothing though.

Thats very true...easy to get suckered into the models when they show a big storm but i've seen this a couple times this winter where a storm is progged for days only to cave as we get closer to the event. I think it's wise to trust nothing the models show for a few more days yet and even then your at a gamble.

yeah, the ukie, gaps and ggem look good but being 4-5 days out you have to wonder if models will hold, past history probably says, no.

Its interesting how model trends change from winter to winter. Last winter I was the same as you, I expected every storm to fizzle because of model trends and it pretty much always would. Our largest winter storm was about 2.5 inches! That's sad.

This year is different though. I have been able to identify storms even 10-12 days out and predict snowfall to the day many times. This storm coming in on Friday is the same and I have been expecting it for about a week.

With that said it looks like a decent storm so I am hopeful for some good snow totals.

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0338 AM CST THU FEB 14 2013

VALID 171200Z - 221200Z

...DISCUSSION...

BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF AGREE THAT SRN STREAM MID LEVEL SPEED MAX

WILL EJECT ACROSS NRN MEXICO INTO SCNTRL TX MONDAY AS NRN STREAM

SHORT-WAVE UNIFIES WITH THIS FEATURE OVER THE MS VALLEY. THIS

STRONG SYSTEM WILL LIKELY INDUCE CONVECTION AS IT INTERACTS WITH

MOIST/WEAKLY BUOYANT AIRMASS OVER EAST TX...THEN ACROSS THE CNTRL

GULF STATES TUESDAY. HOWEVER...WEAK INSTABILITY SHOULD PRECLUDE

WIDESPREAD SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WITH THIS SYSTEM.

LATER IN THE WEEK A POTENTIALLY MORE SIGNIFICANT CONVECTIVE EVENT

MAY UNFOLD FROM EAST TX INTO THE LOWER MS VALLEY AS 100KT+ MID LEVEL

SPEED MAX APPROACHES WHAT SHOULD BE A MORE MOIST/BUOYANT

ENVIRONMENT. IF UPPER 60S SFC DEW POINTS MANAGE TO ADVANCE

SUBSTANTIALLY INLAND AN ORGANIZED SEVERE SCENARIO MAY UNFOLD DURING

THE DAY8 PERIOD. WILL NOT INTRODUCE 30 PERCENT SEVERE PROBS GIVEN

THE POSSIBILITY THIS SYSTEM MAY SLOW ENOUGH THAT THE MAIN THREAT

COULD BE BEYOND THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD.

..DARROW.. 02/14/2013

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0338 AM CST THU FEB 14 2013

VALID 171200Z - 221200Z

...DISCUSSION...

BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF AGREE THAT SRN STREAM MID LEVEL SPEED MAX

WILL EJECT ACROSS NRN MEXICO INTO SCNTRL TX MONDAY AS NRN STREAM

SHORT-WAVE UNIFIES WITH THIS FEATURE OVER THE MS VALLEY. THIS

STRONG SYSTEM WILL LIKELY INDUCE CONVECTION AS IT INTERACTS WITH

MOIST/WEAKLY BUOYANT AIRMASS OVER EAST TX...THEN ACROSS THE CNTRL

GULF STATES TUESDAY. HOWEVER...WEAK INSTABILITY SHOULD PRECLUDE

WIDESPREAD SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WITH THIS SYSTEM.

LATER IN THE WEEK A POTENTIALLY MORE SIGNIFICANT CONVECTIVE EVENT

MAY UNFOLD FROM EAST TX INTO THE LOWER MS VALLEY AS 100KT+ MID LEVEL

SPEED MAX APPROACHES WHAT SHOULD BE A MORE MOIST/BUOYANT

ENVIRONMENT. IF UPPER 60S SFC DEW POINTS MANAGE TO ADVANCE

SUBSTANTIALLY INLAND AN ORGANIZED SEVERE SCENARIO MAY UNFOLD DURING

THE DAY8 PERIOD. WILL NOT INTRODUCE 30 PERCENT SEVERE PROBS GIVEN

THE POSSIBILITY THIS SYSTEM MAY SLOW ENOUGH THAT THE MAIN THREAT

COULD BE BEYOND THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD.

..DARROW.. 02/14/2013

Definitely worth watching for both winter and severe threats. There is definitely going to be a longwave trough digging through the intermountain W with good spacing behind the eastern US trough. GOM will be open. Impressive agreement on the large scale pattern among all the major platforms and ensembles.

post-999-0-83173600-1360857184_thumb.gif

12Z GFS is downright scary, I don't recall seeing 90kts+ low level jet near the warm sector ever before. I'm really hoping this system doesn't pan out... the south-east has had enough.

I'm not sure we're going to get 90 kts in the effective warm sector (as in the most thermodynamically sound), although 60-80 kts at H85 wouldn't surprise me with this intensity of a storm, should it pan out.

Archived