Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential November 27th Event

nj2va

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been snowing in Winchester for about 2 hours. Light. At times the flakes have been fairly fat. Of course it is too warm, and the precip too light to even think about accumulation. A couple of our teachers who live in WV (Capon Bridge) had snow on their cars. I had slush on my truck when I went out to leave this morning. I'm guessing that there's snow at the higher elevations.

It has been snowing in Winchester for about 2 hours. Light. At times the flakes have been fairly fat. Of course it is too warm, and the precip too light to even think about accumulation. A couple of our teachers who live in WV (Capon Bridge) had snow on their cars. I had slush on my truck when I went out to leave this morning. I'm guessing that there's snow at the higher elevations.

Funny. I have elevation N/W of Winchester and no slush up here. Just rain with some wet flakes mixed in. Crazy how weather can be so different just within a few miles. Its part of what makes this hobby fun.

Maybe Im wrong, but I would beg to argue that into MD and VA, high elevation is not a big deal here...I would think the colder valleys are the people who may have had some slush this morning, temps there dropped faster before the cloud cover last night and I would think would of been slower to rise this morning, This was an overrunning event so therefore, higher elevations would warm faster...No? If my thinking is flawed sorry.

Maybe Im wrong, but I would beg to argue that into MD and VA, high elevation is not a big deal here...I would think the colder valleys are the people who may have had some slush this morning, temps there dropped faster before the cloud cover last night and I would think would of been slower to rise this morning, This was an overrunning event so therefore, higher elevations would warm faster...No? If my thinking is flawed sorry.

This is true, but there was enough warm air advection and reflected longwave radiation to warm those valleys up just above freezing 33-34°F. If either one of things hadn't of occurred we'd be dealing with a freezing rain event in the valleys for the first hour or two. The reason why elevations are doing better in this event is because they wet-bulbed sooner and lower since they had slightly lower dew points to begin with. It's that extra hour and a half or so of being bulbed that puts them an inch above the rest.

Anyhow, Even I got the shaft where I am because we got caught between bands and ended up with drizzle and flurries. Managed to just get the top of the grass white, but even that is disappearing since our temp is rising with no dynamic cooling to keep us wet-bulbed.

Just a bit of slush here in WV this morning. Took a drive and ridges above 2200 were mostly white but nothing like the October snow out here.

Picture from barn cam at 9:20 this morning. .29 in the bucket for event and 32.3 was low here back up to 35.5 now.

Looking forward to the nice weather next week as I have a bunch of outdoor business to do.

post-4831-0-03411500-1354041109_thumb.jp

Archived