• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2012-13 Outlook

wxhstn74

Haha i'm not anti-jynxking or anything trust me..

I'm dead serious.

I've fully hopped on the Cromartie bandwagon sorry sad.png

Torch away!! sizzle.gif

And LOL thanks! I'm greeted by it almost daily up at the top when I browse the forums, might as well keep it!

lol, you have zero reasoning/explanation for your outlook. Not that UW-weather has an ounce for his either.

We don't need more trolls. Thought you were cool. Alas...

What about the white areas inbetween the squiggles?

Strange microclimates.

Always end up with a few of those when you look back at temp/precip plots..

lol, you have zero reasoning/explanation for your outlook. Not that UW-weather has an ounce for his either.

-GOA Low STILL Torching away at the mid-section. (Our friend Doesn't look to go away anytime soon)

- Plains Drought Still going strong although some improvement for Eastern Lakes. (WIll create one hell of a feedback cycle like we saw this past Spring and Summer)

Don't see any hope in the near team to knock this bad boy down unfortunately so the problem will be with us through the winter.

drmon.gif

- East Coast Storm track due to Warm waters off of the Coast..

anomw.11.15.2012.gif

I am still cool! I just don't like cold/snow anymore :(

Its such a reasonable, meteorologically well-thought out outlook. But it contradicts with my outlook. Trends clearly show the midwest -2 to -5F with much above normal snowfall.

Jokes/trolling aside....you can be sure that outlook is wrong. Id love to see a winter thats significantly colder than normal up and down the eastern seaboard and warm everywhere else.

Wonder when Bill issues the rest of his outlook?

Looks like most are calling for clippers to bring most of our snow...I'm fine with that.

Usually those are cold winters locally, good for snow cover. Lake effect should be plentiful for lake belts.

Its actually crazy how many outlooks have been harping on the clipper express. Like you, a winter like that is fine by me. May not have the gawdy snowfall totals at seasons end but those are the perfect winters for the folks who simply enjoy "winter".

Its actually crazy how many outlooks have been harping on the clipper express. Like you, a winter like that is fine by me. May not have the gawdy snowfall totals at seasons end but those are the perfect winters for the folks who simply enjoy "winter".

Those are the winter's usually where the snow cover stays for long periods. Instead of multiple thaws during the season. I'd gladly take a winter with a NW flow and smaller systems. ...Would like at least one big storm in late winter to close out the season! snowing3.gif

...We keep on getting storms off the east coast and that water will cool off more!

- Plains Drought Still going strong although some improvement for Eastern Lakes. (WIll create one hell of a feedback cycle like we saw this past Spring and Summer)

I'm certainly not an expert on climo, but I'd wager the drought feedback processes are considerably less a factor on synoptic weather evolution during the cold season.

Those are the winter's usually where the snow cover stays for long periods. Instead of multiple thaws during the season. I'd gladly take a winter with a NW flow and smaller systems. ...Would like at least one big storm in late winter to close out the season! snowing3.gif

...We keep on getting storms off the east coast and that water will cool off more!

Me too. Even in a clipper-laden winter, at least a few cutters will come up with some of the bigger totals (just have to hope youre areas in or near the sweetspot lol).

I'm certainly not an expert on climo, but I'd wager the drought feedback processes are considerably less a factor on synoptic weather evolution during the cold season.

Absolutely they are less of a factor. If anything, I welcome a dry, hard ground for the snow to lay on. It wont suck up the snow as easily like a sponge. An example, last year the ground was so abnormally wet, we had a 2.4" snowfall on Dec 5th that the ground soaked up like a sponge with temps only a few degrees above freezing the next day. Only snow on the rooftops remained with bare ground.

-GOA Low STILL Torching away at the mid-section. (Our friend Doesn't look to go away anytime soon)

Don't see any hope in the near team to knock this bad boy down unfortunately so the problem will be with us through the winter.

drmon.gif

- East Coast Storm track due to Warm waters off of the Coast..

anomw.11.15.2012.gif

I am still cool! I just don't like cold/snow anymore :(

lol

Point 1 is probably the biggest concern or at least thing to watch going forward. Haven't seen much evidence of the drought having a big effect on large scale winter patterns but if it's out there then I'd be interested. As far as the ocean temps off the east coast, it might have some effect on lows that would already be there.

Well I've made my predictions here and in the Snowfall Contest thread.

We'll see how things shake out..

Feel free to bump troll in April if i'm wrong..

Alpena MI (APN): 76.8" Under

Chicago IL (ORD): 35.2" Under

Cleveland OH (CLE): 64.6" Under

Columbus OH (CMH): 26.2" Under

Detroit MI (DTW): 40.9" Under

Dubuque IA (DBQ): 39.9" Under

Fort Wayne IN (FWA): 32.2" Under

Green Bay WI (GRB): 48.1" Under

Indianapolis IN (IND): 25.3" Under

La Crosse WI (LSE): 41.4" Under

Louisville KY (SDF): 12.3"Under

Marquette MI (MQT): 181.2" Under

Milwaukee WI (MKE): 44.5" Under

Muskegon MI (MKG): 91.2" Under

Paducah KY (PAH): 9.0" Under

St. Louis MO (STL): 17.3" Under

Springfield IL (SPI): 20.6" Under

Toronto ON (YYZ): 43.0" Under

Tiebreaker #1: Over/under on normal December snowfall at DTW: 9.7" Under

Tiebreaker #2: Over/under on normal January snowfall at ORD: 10.8" Under

Tiebreaker #3: Over/under on normal February snowfall at LSE: 8.2" Under

Sorry gotta run with this as of now.. Gotta factor in the New Climo and plus long term trends aren't looking the hottest.

Temps

post-1662-0-01220100-1353302359_thumb.pn

Precip

post-1662-0-88438000-1353301033_thumb.pn

Is this even possible? Unless you think something is going to stall out on the east coast for 3 months, I wonder how the below normal temps are going to make it down south.

Jon

Entire Winter Outlook For Southeast Lower Michigan 11/19

http://weatherhistor...-ado-about.html

Excellent work as always! The below normal temps and normal snowfall you forecast would be very welcome by me (above normal snowfall preferred though ;) ).

The extensive cold air building in Canada right now and the above-average North American snowcover in October is a fantastic sign for winter, and certainly should give many-a-snowlover a sigh of relief during this mild Thanksgiving week.

Archived