Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS Thread for PHL area : Sandy / Post Trop Phase

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bad, tired eyes. I don't get how bad you have to make it sound to get people to leave the barrier islands.

It's all good man. I'm telling ya, the amount of people needing rescue right now is ridiculous. Even the Mayor of Egg Harbor Township had to flee his house in Anchorage Pointe, on Longport Blvd, due to storm surge. That area was told to evacuate yesterday.

My station on LBI is still uploading to the internet! Peak gust of 48 mph so far, with 10-min sustained up to 30. It's all the way down in Holgate, and I'd imagine water is already getting to be a problem in that area or certainly will be during the evening high tide. SmokeEater, I think you're right - that pic should be Ship Bottom.

The link to my obs is in my sig.

My family rents a place in Holgate every year. I am afriad LBI will not look the same after this storm. I hope the bridge survives.

It's all good man. I'm telling ya, the amount of people needing rescue right now is ridiculous. Even the Mayor of Egg Harbor Township had to flee his house in Anchorage Pointe, on Longport Blvd, due to storm surge. That area was told to evacuate yesterday.

Man, this is really heartbreaking. We may be waking up to a multitude of fatalities in the shore areas tomorrow. Like Tony said, I'm not sure what else could have been said to warn people. The Public Information Statement issued yesterday was the most strongly worded I have ever seen. I'm not sure how many eyes were on it, but it couldn't have been any clearer...

My family rents a place in Holgate every year. I am afriad LBI will not look the same after this storm. I hope the bridge survives.

My understanding of the Dec 1992 storm (I was way too young at the time to remember) is that it was quite bad - probably the record holder for tide level on the island, gusts over hurricane force, etc. - but not so bad as to be landscape-changing, and I'm thinking we might get lucky and have this storm not end up quite as bad as '92 on the island. '92 was of similar duration, and the peak winds from that one came out of the ENE - not the NNE or N like this storm.

I was actually just going to make a post about the wind direction; I think it could (though this is certainly not guaranteed) help out the shore today. I really like the 12z NAM that just came in with an almost due N wind during the peak of the event from Ocean County on southward (more NNW down in Cape May). Even if there's an easterly component, a 10-20 degree wind is much better than a 30-40 or 40-50 degree wind in terms of holding surge at a lower level. We'll have to see what happens to those tidal departures. Right now, the wind direction at my LBI station is right around 20 degrees. Hopefully this will back some during the day. That would also help my data, because my exposure to the left of 20 degrees is more or less perfect, but is not quite as good to the right of 20 degrees!

EDIT: to clarify that I'm really worried about Monmouth and points north, since the wind will have more of an easterly component there all day. I'm worried about everywhere, but there the most.

Archived