12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Sandy/Posttrop Phase Thread For PHL Area

phlwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an observation or two during this quieter period. Our beaches are not in the best of shape. There are plans to do more replenishment operations next month. Two weeks ago during the new moon, the tides made it almost to our sea wall with some SE wind helping. Many people I have talked to in this area firmly stated they would not leave if ordered since Irene was not as bad as expected. I feel as if there is a boy crying wolf feeling among locals. This is potentially a very dangerous combination of most people not appreciating the complex nature of this system and the vulnerability of our shoreline, coupled with their reluctance to evacuate if so ordered.

Also, thanks to the seriously dedicated posters and pros, like Tombo and Ray for their expertise and efforts. I have learned so much and look forward to dealing with this storm in this forum.

Just an observation or two during this quieter period. Our beaches are not in the best of shape. There are plans to do more replenishment operations next month. Two weeks ago during the new moon, the tides made it almost to our sea wall with some SE wind helping. Many people I have talked to in this area firmly stated they would not leave if ordered since Irene was not as bad as expected. I feel as if there is a boy crying wolf feeling among locals. This is potentially a very dangerous combination of most people not appreciating the complex nature of this system and the vulnerability of our shoreline, coupled with their reluctance to evacuate if so ordered.

Also, thanks to the seriously dedicated posters and pros, like Tombo and Ray for their expertise and efforts. I have learned so much and look forward to dealing with this storm in this forum.

Most people dont know but there has never been a landfalling Hurricane in NJ. At least in recorded history. A few TS but not hurricanes. People here really have no expierence with what a storm like this can do. This tends to end badly for many.

It wouldnt be in the teens for long. This storm would blowtorch all of NJ and eastern PA.

I know. just a thought.

Live here in Eastern PA. Not going to be pretty here at all. I'm here at 864 ft. with big trees. To top it off, i get water in the basement when there are storms over 3" of liquid! Been following this one for days now. Kind of excited but getting a bit worried as to what is going to happen in the NE Corridor. Good luck to all!

the stronger that block gets modeled the further south it can go.

Also the further west Sandy tracks initially (ie now through Saturday) the further south the landfall could be as the Euro has been showing. It seems Delmarve to LI is the most probable zone at this point.

\

I keep thinking Floyd. Sept 1999. 13" of rain in 14 hours. Complete disaster in this area flood wise. Wind not so much.

Yeah. 2 worst events in the past 20+ years at the creek nearby me. Irene just missed the peak crest last year in Graterford.

Historical Crests

(1) 18.26 ft on 07/09/1935

(2) 18.20 ft on 08/28/2011

(3) 17.08 ft on 06/22/1972

(4) 16.65 ft on 08/23/1933

(5) 16.59 ft on 09/16/1999

Anyone think that the intensity of this storm is a bit overdone? Based on its current state, I don't see it being a hurricane past 35n. I think that models have done a good job at getting the track down, but intensity is always a big question mark.

Anyone think that the intensity of this storm is a bit overdone? Based on its current state, I don't see it being a hurricane past 35n. I think that models have done a good job at getting the track down, but intensity is always a big question mark.

I am certainly not an expert, but there is a lot more going on than just your run of the mill tropical system.

Archived